Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
During my conversion from agnosticism, I found that of all the Christian doctrines that I encountered, the doctrine of Hell was the most reasonable of them all for me to believe. It just made perfect sense that there was a permanent consequence of my actions. I saw the fact that as each of my actions in the immediate life yielded an immediate consequence, why wouldn’t the total summation of my actions in this life yields a total consequence? The logic of consequence was there. If I am doing as God would have me do, then the consequences belong to Him and I am safe, but if I am doing what I want to do then the consequences belong to me and there is an unhappy price for that.

AND WHAT IS THAT UNHAPPY CONSEQUENCE REALLY?

Continued below.
https://www.davidlgray.info/2021/10/21/the-reasonableness-of-hell-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Reactions: Mark Quayle

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
During my conversion from agnosticism, I found that of all the Christian doctrines that I encountered, the doctrine of Hell was the most reasonable of them all for me to believe. It just made perfect sense that there was a permanent consequence of my actions.

As an agnostic did it seem reasonable "the the punishment for coveting should be death?"
As an agnostic did it seem reasonable that the punishment for lying should be infinite torture?

It is a little surprising to find that this may be how agnostics view the justice system.

Matt 10:28
28 And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in (fiery) hell.

Rev 14:9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.” 12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus

Rev 20:
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
During my conversion from agnosticism, I found that of all the Christian doctrines that I encountered, the doctrine of Hell was the most reasonable of them all for me to believe. It just made perfect sense that there was a permanent consequence of my actions. I saw the fact that as each of my actions in the immediate life yielded an immediate consequence, why wouldn’t the total summation of my actions in this life yields a total consequence? The logic of consequence was there. If I am doing as God would have me do, then the consequences belong to Him and I am safe, but if I am doing what I want to do then the consequences belong to me and there is an unhappy price for that.

AND WHAT IS THAT UNHAPPY CONSEQUENCE REALLY?

Continued below.
https://www.davidlgray.info/2021/10/21/the-reasonableness-of-hell-and-how-to-avoid-it/
Since, to a degree I agree with you here, I wanted to add something the Catholicism shouldn't disagree with, even though I'm Protestant. Your comments made me think of this:

The absolute reasonableness, even logic, of the Gospel points at its place as a governing principle —all other things break on it, or depend on it, in reasonings concerning the nature of God and concerning all aspects of his Creation. It is the Gospel that made me see the horror of my own sinfulness, and despair of ever measuring up to my conscience or even of making a worthy decision to "accept him into my heart". And it is the Gospel that made me come to understand the extent of Grace and the Source of the worthiness of the faith that saves.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married