The Reason for Baptism

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because it is our public profession of faith. When we are baptized we are identifying with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. Read Romans 6.
So baptism is only symbolic and not spiritual?

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So baptism is only symbolic and not spiritual?
While it is strictly symbolic there is certainly a spiritual aspect to it. It isn't a "sacrament" as many would tell you where grace is imparted in the rite. But it certainly has a spiritual meaning in that by faith we identify with Christ. Baptism doesn't save us it is simply the answer of a good conscience toward God. We rise from the watery grave to walk in the newness of life. We are dead to the law and no longer under the bondage of sin.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a shame that many denominations believe that baptism is an essential part of salvation, as if we're supposed to do it to be saved - they miss the whole point of the believer doing it because he wants to proclaim publically that he is putting on the new man. The only thing required for salvation is belief in the heart and confession of the mouth, but baptism is a powerful message sent to everyone that your heart and treasure is stored up in heaven. God gave us the spiritual symbol of baptism so that we can profess our love and devotion to Him on our own accord, as an obedient believer.

Many bible versions leave out Acts 8:37 which explains the prerequisites for baptism, the part where it says you have to believe in Christ (that is, you have to be saved) in order to be baptized.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why does Jesus command people to be baptized in Matthew 28:19-20?
Read the text carefully. The command is not to BE baptized, but to baptize. I.e. It is not addressed to the new believer but to the evangelist.

Reactions: tulipbee
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Baptism doesn't save us it is simply the answer of a good conscience toward God.
1 Peter 3:21 in the English Standard Version says it's "an appeal to God for a good conscience". What translation do you use?
Read the text carefully. The command is not to BE baptized, but to baptize. I.e. It is not addressed to the new believer but to the evangelist.
To that effect, if the evangelist isn't baptized what does that mean about the evangelist? Why isn't the evangelist baptized?
It's a shame that many denominations believe that baptism is an essential part of salvation, as if we're supposed to do it to be saved - they miss the whole point of the believer doing it because he wants to proclaim publically that he is putting on the new man. The only thing required for salvation is belief in the heart and confession of the mouth, but baptism is a powerful message sent to everyone that your heart and treasure is stored up in heaven. God gave us the spiritual symbol of baptism so that we can profess our love and devotion to Him on our own accord, as an obedient believer.

Many bible versions leave out Acts 8:37 which explains the prerequisites for baptism, the part where it says you have to believe in Christ (that is, you have to be saved) in order to be baptized.
That may be true.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To that effect, if the evangelist isn't baptized what does that mean about the evangelist? Why isn't the evangelist baptized?
It would mean that whomever led him/her (the evangelist) to the Lord did not do their job by baptizing them. And beyond that,they did not properly study scripture themselves to understand the importance of being baptized.

The command is TO baptize, not to BE baptized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 3:21 in the English Standard Version says it's "an appeal to God for a good conscience". What translation do you use?

That may be true.
I use several versions but prefer the KJV.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It would mean that whomever led him/her (the evangelist) to the Lord did not do their job by baptizing them. And beyond that,they did not properly study scripture themselves to understand the importance of being baptized.
Exactly.
The command is TO baptize, not to BE baptized.
Umm, it's actually both. Mark 16:16 is another verse that simply reaffirms in my mind that it's both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm, it's actually both. Mark 16:16 is another verse that simply reaffirms in my mind that it's both.
16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.​

There is no command there at all. It just tells us of the effect of baptism. (along with faith, part of the overall salvic process)

The closest to being a command is Acts 2.38.

38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.​

While this IS a command, it is said by Peter to whom 10 days earlier our Lord spoke the words of Matt 28. This is Peter properly discharging his obligation to baptize.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
There is no command there at all. It just tells us of the effect of baptism. (part of the overall salvic process)
I'm pretty sure there's an implicit "do this".

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm pretty sure there's an implicit "do this".
No there isn't. And the last part of Mark 16 (verse 9 to the end) is not in the oldest and best translations so it may have been added at some later date. (but not to worry, it accurately reflects the beliefs and practices of the early church) I still take it as authoritative. But in the Greek, there is no command at all. Just passive descriptors.

Many times we have our traditions that we understand, and see texts that we think support them, but upon careful investigation, actually do not. This is one of those cases.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.​

There is no command there at all. It just tells us of the effect of baptism. (along with faith, part of the overall salvic process)

The closest to being a command is Acts 2.38.

38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.​

While this IS a command, it is said by Peter to whom 10 days earlier our Lord spoke the words of Matt 28. This is Peter properly discharging his obligation to baptize.
You make a good point, and I would like to take it one step further with the Acts 2:38, since that verse is commonly mistaken as a "repent of your sins and be baptized to be saved" verse. That verse was a response to a question asked by the jews asking what they should do, but if you notice in Acts 2:21, Peter already told them how to be saved, which is to call upon the name of the Lord, with no mention of baptism. After they agreed to that he was right, they asked what to do AFTER knowing how to be saved.. which was to repent (of disbelief) and then to be baptized.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No there isn't. And the last part of Mark 16 (verse 9 to the end) is not in the oldest and best translations so it may have been added at some later date. (but not to worry, it accurately reflects the beliefs and practices of the early church) I still take it as authoritative. But in the Greek, there is no command at all. Just passive descriptors.

Many times we have our traditions that we understand, and see texts that we think support them, but upon careful investigation, actually do not. This is one of those cases.
Oh see, but verse 17 is the verse that starts describing things.

I don't know why it's that big a deal to you. It's kind of like splitting hairs to say the command is to baptize and not be baptized.

Verse 15 is obviously a command and verse 16 says that you have to believe and be baptized to be saved. Therefore the imperative carries over from verse 15 to verse 16. It has to.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why it's that big a deal to you. It's kind of like splitting hairs to say the command is to baptize and not be baptized
Because if the command is incumbent on the evangelist instead of the convert, baptism cannot be required for salvation.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because if the command is incumbent on the evangelist instead of the convert, baptism cannot be required for salvation.
You might be right. How does one know on the physical plane they have been saved?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They believe in Jesus Christ alone as their whole and complete salvation.

Baptism isn't required for salvation faith is.

Amen!

How many time in the Gospels did Jesus say:

"Thy faith has saved thee"?

If baptism was a requirement, how come one of the hardest working evangelists since Jesus, only baptized two people?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0