Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nathan Poe said:
A good deal of Edison's success came through trial and error, as most scientific achievements are. Edison literally went through over 10,000 different designs for the light bulb, none of which worked.

Do you suppose he just cobbled things together at random, or did he actually learn from his mistakes?
It kinda of surprises me that you would ask that question. Edison ran electricity through 10,000 different materials in a vaccum. That is why he later went on to invent the radio, phonograph, movie camera to name a few. They were all a product of his 10,000 "failed" attempts.

Before science ever got involved, we had a TV, Radio, Photograph, Movie Camera, Telephone, to name a few. What science gave us was the transister, and later the micro processor.

The first transistor radios came out when I was about 12 years old. We thought it was neat that they figured out a way to make the radio smaller, but the sound quality was no wear near as good as the sound quality from vaccum tubes at first. Later on, they began to use filters to remove the static and a lot of the noise.

The building I live in is over 100 years old. It was "moderized" about 50 years ago, when my dad bought it. There really have been no substantial changes made in the last 50 years. Just maintaince. So the only real change is in telecommunications, where multiple people can get involved in a conversation at the same time. But that does not take a computer. In fact like I said, telecommunications was started up by hobby clubs long before Bill Gates, IBM and modern science got involved in it.

It really is little more than a party line with a keyboard and a storage devise, to store a message so everyone can read it. Science really did not get involved until computer were used for much more complex tasks than that.

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
JohnR7 said:
Most electronics today is based on Edison's work, and he did not have much use for logic and scientific method.
WHAT? Thomas Edison did not have much use for logic????????? I think I just heard the sound of Mr. Edison rolling over in his grave moaning.....

confused.gif
help.gif
rolleyes.gif

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
JohnR7 said:
Before science ever got involved, we had a TV, Radio, Photograph, Movie Camera, Telephone, to name a few. What science gave us was the transister, and later the micro processor.
No, Science did give us TV, Radio, Photograph, Movie Camera, Telephone..before that science hgave us MANY thinks and MANY ideas. Look at Sir Isaac Newton or Thomas Hooke, Gregor Mendel, those were scientist too!! Why do you equate science with being a modern institution. What about Galileao or Christian Huygens?? Those men were not scientists?

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
futantbirth said:
i think (hope) that this thread will die right now... that last one wasnt even worth going in to.

and everyone, please look up SCIENCE in the dictionary from now on before posting.
Agreed. The thread seems to be leading nowhere.

John, brother, your definition of science on this thread is different than that of your analogy with the knife that I read from you earlier. Science is a tool. But it is a tool that allows us to makes technology. It is technology that can be used for good or bad purposes, not science.

Upvote 0
JohnR7 said:
It kinda of surprises me that you would ask that question. Edison ran electricity through 10,000 different materials in a vaccum. That is why he later went on to invent the radio, phonograph, movie camera to name a few. They were all a product of his 10,000 "failed" attempts.
eek.gif
John, John, John. I am horrified by this travesty. Edison did not invent the radio or the movie camera, and he certainly didn't figure out anything about them by randomly subjecting materials to electrical current. The radio was developed by Nikola Tesla or Henry Marconi--there's some debate on the subject--but neither of them were Edison. The movie camera, on the other hand, was invented by William Kennedy Laurie Dickson, an employee of Edison's.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
ifriit said:
eek.gif
John, John, John. I am horrified by this travesty. Edison did not invent the radio or the movie camera, and he certainly didn't figure out anything about them by randomly subjecting materials to electrical current. .
Edison invented the carbon telephone transmitter which at first was used to make the telephone. Then this invention not only led to the development of the microphone, which made early radio possible, but the solid state "diode" or transistor which makes so many of today's electronic devices possible. Including television and computers. Also Edison discovered what was known as the Edison effect that was used to make the first tubes for radios.

Edison did invent the first movie camera and projector. But when he found out that people were more interested to use it for entertainment, then for education, he backed off and did not develop it any further. Even though others worked on it. Still it was almost 30 years before talking movies came out. If Edison had stayed with it, I am sure they would have had talking movies a lot sooner.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Michali said:
Agreed. The thread seems to be leading nowhere.
That is because no one seems to get it. Not even Nathan, who for some unknown reason, often understands the points I am trying to make.

People talk about how "wonderful" science is. Well, when the Indians sold long island for about $24 worth of trinkets, they most have thought those trinkets were wonderful at the time, to give up the land. Now you would pay more like $24 a square foot for long island property.

Science offers people a hand full of trinkets. People will then give up all they have for a hand full of nothing really. There is so much more to be had, and in reality, science offers so little.

Some of what science offers is outright ignorance. Look at Psychology for example and how stupid that is. Why settle for that puke, when we can have the mind of God, we can have the same divine mind, attitude, thoughts and nature that Jesus had when He walked this earth as very man.

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
That is because no one seems to get it. Not even Nathan, who for some unknown reason, often understands the points I am trying to make.

People talk about how "wonderful" science is. Well, when the Indians sold long island for about $24 worth of trinkets, they most have thought those trinkets were wonderful at the time, to give up the land. Now you would pay more like $24 a square foot for long island property.

Science offers people a hand full of trinkets. People will then give up all they have for a hand full of nothing really. There is so much more to be had, and in reality, science offers so little.

Some of what science offers is outright ignorance. Look at Psychology for example and how stupid that is. Why settle for that puke, when we can have the mind of God, we can have the same divine mind, attitude, thoughts and nature that Jesus had when He walked this earth as very man.
Your free to turn your computer off, go into the forest, live in a cave, and have jesus and god all you want. Just make sure to keep away from science, including fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

Jet Black

futantbirth said:
yes but it the progress... the logic... are all based in the scientific method.

thats why adam didnt have a Playstation 2.

and if he did... he wouldnt have listened to eve's bullsh*t
no insult to other posters replying to John's rubbish, but I think that this post is the only thing worth reading in the whole thread.

Upvote 0
I participate in another Creation vs. Evolution forum, and we had a "John" over there. Different name of course, but definitely the same breed.

This fellow continually, willfully, blatantly, ignored EVERY SINGLE BIT OF EVIDENCE which was presented to him.

He contradicted himself constantly; sometimes two or three times in a single post. (On one occasion, three times in a single sentence! It was quite impressive.)

He offhandedly dismissed millions upon millions of "man hours" of scientific research, by some of the brightest minds to have ever graced our little planet. Usually by a very simple, "good ol' boy" type of an analogy.

To say that arguing with him was similar to banging your head against a wall doesn't even come close to doing the futility of that exercise justice.

I had never seen anything like it before. The sheer "shock value" of the absurdities which he so effortlessly produced were nothing short of amazing.

And then I came here...

Granted, I came in a bit seasoned by debating with these types, but...not knowing the personalities behind the screen-names, I entered into a short discussion with your John on Noah's flood. It took me...oh...about 4 or 5 posts (if that) to figure out what was going on, and since that time, I've made no effort in any discussion with him since.

There is literally no point.

So, I've got to wonder, why do you guys keep coming back for more?

Does anybody really think that the "next post" will finally turn the lights of reason on?

Why waste your time with completely useless discussion?

There are PLENTY of christians on here who can reason, argue intelligently, provide thought-provoking material, etc.

Why neglect them?

I don't understand.

Is it habit that keeps you coming back for more?

If not, what is it?

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

bagfullofsnakes said:
So, I've got to wonder, why do you guys keep coming back for more?
Alot of them are effectively doing it to defend the Bible. Posters like John and Ark Guy (over in the CO areas) do more to destroy the credibility of the bible than any atheist ever could. If it was left to them alone to defend the bible, I feel that it would rapidly become a laughing stock. (I felt like poining this out to Ark Guy in the CO area, but I am not allowed:p) Other people do it just for kicks, and I prefer to stick to the more reasonable debaters. my personal favourites at the moment are the_cloaked_crusader and Drotar (Hi Guys!), who, while being utterly utterly wrong, at least stick to the point and think about what they say :)

Upvote 0
Jet Black said:
Alot of them are effectively doing it to defend the Bible. Posters like John and Ark Guy (over in the CO areas) do more to destroy the credibility of the bible than any atheist ever could. If it was left to them alone to defend the bible, I feel that it would rapidly become a laughing stock. (I felt like poining this out to Ark Guy in the CO area, but I am not allowed:p) Other people do it just for kicks, and I prefer to stick to the more reasonable debaters. my personal favourites at the moment are the_cloaked_crusader and Drotar (Hi Guys!), who, while being utterly utterly wrong, at least stick to the point and think about what they say :)
Jet Black...you're one of the guys I have a tremendous amount of respect for. You, lucaspa, WinAce...(sorry if *your* name isn't mentioned...it's my pathetic short-term memory, combined with my general "newbie" status.)

At any rate, I read more than I post. Usually, I scan through threads quickly, and see if you (or anyone else that I respect) has posted, and then read what you have to say.

OK...that being said....

YOU are one of the guys that I am surprised keeps "coming back for more".

And you aren't defending the bible, per se. I can see where the Christians would have a motivation to reply. If I were a Christian, I would continually post and say, "Oh, by the way...He's not on my team. I do not claim him as one of my own."

Anyway, I'm not being critical...I seriously don't understand what the motivation is: What YOUR motivation is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jet Black

thanks, but I think alot of the other posters really are on a level above me, such as lucaspa, winace and frumious, and I really enjoy learning from them.

as to why I keep coming back for more. well they may be defending religion, but I suppose I am defending thought. I have to admit that I don't really like people coming to those sorts of conclusions without really thinking about things and where possible looking at the evidence first. I know that John will never change, but I just hope that others will not be drawn into the trap that they can get away with being right just because they haven't looked at, and refuse to consider the evidence.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
LorentzHA said:
No, Science did give us TV, Radio, Photograph, Movie Camera, Telephone.
Ok, have it your way, and science gave us Atomic bombs, science gave us amthrax, science gave us terrorism, science gave us the inquisition. Science gave us air and water pollution, science gave us inappropriate contento with all it's filth and debauchery. Science also gives us world hunger, because it has the means to provide food, but it does not. It must be science that is destroying the morality of our kids, because science gives us the media that is destroying them.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
armed2010 said:
Your free to turn your computer off, go into the forest, live in a cave, and have jesus and god all you want. Just make sure to keep away from science, including fire.
And you are free to quit thinking that science is going to solve mankind's problems and turn back to God with your whole, heart, mind, soul and strength. Or your also free to perish in your sins if you want.

Upvote 0