✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
S Prazdnikom! Blessed Feast!

(If you know it in other languages, feel free to reply!)

**Sorry if you're seeing this twice. I wanted to post it in a different forum, but forgot that you can't delete threads.

Today, in the Orthodox Church (new calendar) we celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. I just returned from the Divine Liturgy and it was beautiful, as always!
I just thought I would share the joy!

Many know him through the meme that was going around years ago as the guy who "gives presents to children and punches heretics." But he was known for so much more!

Yes, he was a great defender of Orthodoxy at the Council of Nicea I, where Arius was preaching heretical theology about the nature of Jesus Christ.

Many also know he also was from a wealthy family and often gave away his wealth to help poor people by putting bags of gold coins (not chocolate candy kind) in people's shoes in the middle of the night. He even gave a large dowry to a poor man so he could marry his daughter off (that's just how things worked back then).

He was also known for defending the innocent and protecting them from being unjustly executed, as in the 2nd picture below.

St. Nicholas.jpg
st. nicholas1.jpg

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
S Prazdnikom! Blessed Feast!

(If you know it in other languages, feel free to reply!)

**Sorry if you're seeing this twice. I wanted to post it in a different forum, but forgot that you can't delete threads.

Today, in the Orthodox Church (new calendar) we celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. I just returned from the Divine Liturgy and it was beautiful, as always!
I just thought I would share the joy!

Many know him through the meme that was going around years ago as the guy who "gives presents to children and punches heretics." But he was known for so much more!

Yes, he was a great defender of Orthodoxy at the Council of Nicea I, where Arius was preaching heretical theology about the nature of Jesus Christ.

Many also know he also was from a wealthy family and often gave away his wealth to help poor people by putting bags of gold coins (not chocolate candy kind) in people's shoes in the middle of the night. He even gave a large dowry to a poor man so he could marry his daughter off (that's just how things worked back then).

He was also known for defending the innocent and protecting them from being unjustly executed, as in the 2nd picture below.

View attachment 267899 View attachment 267900

Thank you for sharing the story of this inspiring Christian saint with us.

Santa Claus is really a synthesis of two ancient saintly figures, Nicholas of Myra and Basil of Caesarea.

Upvote 0