Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,565.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
To be perfectly honest, the Bible was written by God.
It took at least 40 human beings to pin the Bible. God did now write a singel word in it.

The ONLY Holy Text directly written by tbe hand of God can ONLY be found with in life itself.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not to burst your bubble, but I will contend that YOU don't know about cud chewing hares, 4-legged insects, unicorns, leviathans or behemoths either. YOU have just READ about them in a book that looks, for all intents and purposes like ANY OTHER myth book in the history of humanity.

The only difference is, YOU have started to believe that this myth book above all others is REAL because someone told you it was.

You're whole point is based on this Book being a myth --- an assumption on the part of anyone not wanting to believe.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If their military strategems were second to none what were they doing in captivity Babylon anyway?

I was waiting on that question --- because God punished them with the Diaspora.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It took at least 40 human beings to pin the Bible. God did now write a singel word in it.

The ONLY Holy Text directly written by tbe hand of God can ONLY be found with in life itself.

Sez ewe.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're whole point is based on this Book being a myth --- an assumption on the part of anyone not wanting to believe.

I don't believe in gravity because I WANT to believe in Gravity.

I pretty much HAVE to believe in Gravity.

Why is God a weaker force than Gravity?

(In case you aren't familiar with the science, gravity is considered one of the weakest fundamental forces. SOURCE)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And almost every credible theologian and historian ever.

Is that what made them "credible"? I like the way you guys try to make a point by having to insert adjectives before nouns for clarification. You know that if you would have said:
  • And every theologian and historian ever.
...you would have been incorrect; so you're evidently trying to add a modicum of persuasion by adding words.

That's good --- keep it up. I kinda do it sometimes too.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
! Llanddeusant !

In Wales!!!!!

If their military strategems were second to none what were they doing in captivity Babylon anyway?

Seems to me they were a second rate bunch of goat herders that most other nations in the middle East have used as slaves at one period or another

Well, when you look at this:

[BIBLE]1 Samuel 15:3[/BIBLE]

You realize that while they may not have been the most strategic masters, they could sometimes find ways to resort to awfully bloodthirsty and monstrous acts that turns the stomachs of only the most "devout" true Christians.

(Watch as some fundy on here jumps in to defend that particular passage as they are so wont to do. It's sickening and hilarious simultaneously!)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe in gravity because I WANT to believe in Gravity.

I pretty much HAVE to believe in Gravity.

Why is God a weaker force than Gravity?

(In case you aren't familiar with the science, gravity is considered one of the weakest fundamental forces. SOURCE)

I'm familiar with the science; but although gravity is the weakest of the four major forces, it has the widest extent. An atom on one end of the universe exerts a pull on an atom at the opposite end.

By contrast, the Strong Nuclear Force is the most powerful, but cannot reach beyond the nucleus of the atom itself.

If God is a weaker force than Gravity, explain how He walked on water and ascended up into Heaven - (just to name a couple of His miracles).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I like the way you guys try to make a point by having to insert adjectives before nouns for clarification.

That's pretty much why people use "adjectives". I know english ins't your forte, and technical meanings to words don't matter to you (otherwise you wouldn't keep crowing about the laughable "digital" first editions of 16th and 17th century books you have...you treat bibliophiles the way you treat scientists: gross and utter disrespect for terms and meaning).

I find it fascinating that you act like you love a book (The Bible) but you don't care much about what people who actually DO study and love books establish as terms, and you do the same thing with SCIENCE where you claim to hold it to a higher standard but you don't know much about science and your "standards" appear to gut much of what makes science strong.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Watch as some fundy on here jumps in to defend that particular passage as they are so wont to do. It's sickening and hilarious simultaneously!)

Been there / done that. I'm not sure I explained it to YOU, but I'm way ahead of you - (as usual).

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was waiting on that question --- because God punished them with the Diaspora.

Wow! So it's like you've got a claim that can NEVER BE FALSIFIED!

You claim the Israelites were thus and so and when shown where they failed you find a way for God's mysterious ways to make THAT right too!

See, AV, this is why your arguments are usually garbage. You rely solely on a heady mix of SPECIAL PLEADING and UNFALSIFIABLE CONSTRUCTS.

Do you see how that might make you look like a second-stringer on the debate team at the "Special Needs School"?

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Been there / done that. I'm not sure I explained it to YOU, but I'm way ahead of you - (as usual).

Sorry, but just the memory of people defending 1 Sam 15:3 makes me kinda sick. I need to clean off my keyboard.

(BTW: You aren't ahead of me. I've seen so many fundies defend that verse it makes me wonder if God's red pen must be running out of ink as he crosses blood-thirsty sociopaths off the Lamb's Book o' Life.)

Upvote 0

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟11,428.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Is that what made them "credible"? I like the way you guys try to make a point by having to insert adjectives before nouns for clarification. You know that if you would have said:
  • And every theologian and historian ever.
...you would have been incorrect; so you're evidently trying to add a modicum of persuasion by adding words.

That's good --- keep it up. I kinda do it sometimes too.
I had to use the word "almost" because obviously you must have heard it somewhere else. I used "credible" because to say otherwise smacks of historical revisionism and Bibliolatry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To be perfectly honest, the Bible was written by God. It is "scientists" today who don't know about four-legged locusts and hares that chewed their cud; not to mention satyrs, unicorns, behemoths, leviathans, and fowled bats.

What does Gracchus call that? Projection?

You guys don't know it, so you think they didn't know it, either.

Well that's your opinion. What should not be an opinion if God exists is that he created the world and the processes that govern it. I hope he goes easy on you when he asks why you believed a collection of parchments over his sovereign creation.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You claim the Israelites were thus and so and when shown where they failed you find a way for God's mysterious ways to make THAT right too!

I'd say they were sufficiently warned.

[bible]Leviticus 26:43-44[/bible]

I wouldn't exactly call that "God's mysterious ways," when it was put in writing ahead of time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but just the memory of people defending 1 Sam 15:3 makes me kinda sick. I need to clean off my keyboard.

(BTW: You aren't ahead of me. I've seen so many fundies defend that verse it makes me wonder if God's red pen must be running out of ink as he crosses blood-thirsty sociopaths off the Lamb's Book o' Life.)

My, my --- and I thought your little sabbatical was so you could mellow out.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hope he goes easy on you when he asks why you believed a collection of parchments over his sovereign creation.

He wouldn't ask me that, knowing that He wrote It.

"Collection of parchments"?

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd say they were sufficiently warned.

[bible]Leviticus 26:43-44[/bible]

I wouldn't exactly call that "God's mysterious ways," when it was put in writing ahead of time.

Well, I'll admit, you got me there.

So the Jews were super strategists blessed by God except when they weren't blessed by God. Stands to reason.

Of course the same thing could be said about just about any other group of humans who claimed that when things went well they were blessed by their god and when things went bad they were being punished by their god.

Of course that is precisely the standard "Why do bad things happen to good people" answer.

It is the most handy way of dealing with the famous "Problem of Evil". It's workable. But kind of makes you wonder how you can tell THIS group of blessed people who are currently being PUNISHED apart from the opposing group of "bad" people who are now mysteriously BLESSED such that they can defeat the people punished by their god.

This is why it is helpful to look at ALL the pieces on the game board, and not just your own.

Upvote 0