Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Today is Mardi Gras, and I'm sure that today and since Epiphany, partygoers in New Orleans have been pumped up by uplifting, swinging jazz music, like "When the Saints Go Marching In." But today I learned the root of this song, isn't so upbeat and happy. The song, "When the Saints go Marching In" is an Apocalyptic hymn in root. In fact, the full hymn is based off the imagery and prophecies explained in the Book Of Revelation.
When The Saint Go Marching In (+story about it) | Gitare.Info
The full song is pretty scary, with all that Judgement and Tribulation in Revelation, it's little wonder why the author wants to "be in the number." Next time you hear Louis Armstrong, or some other other jivy jazz or soul musician sing this song, you and I now know that the song is really Apocalyptic. I know songwriters sing only the verse that says "When the saints go Marching In" for obvious reasons. But the appropriation of this song to an upbeat, happy, swinging, suave jazz song now reminds me of how people think of Jesus as a tolerant Mr. Rodgers who was always nice and didn't offend people, when they are oblivious of all His rebuke on the Pharisees, other hypocrites, and even how he is going to judge and clean up this world.

Last edited:

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Today is Mardi Gras, and I'm sure that today and since Epiphany, partygoers in New Orleans have been pumped up by uplifting, swinging jazz music, like "When the Saints Go Marching In." But today I learned the root of this song, isn't so upbeat and happy. The song, "When the Saints go Marching In" is an Apocalyptic hymn in root. In fact, the full hymn is based off the imagery and prophecies explained in the Book Of Revelation.
When The Saint Go Marching In (+story about it) | Gitare.Info
The full song is pretty scary, with all that Judgement and Tribulation in Revelation, it's little wonder why the author wants to "be in the number." Next time you hear Louis Armstrong, or some other other jivy jazz or soul musician sing this song, you and I now know that the song is really Apocalyptic. I know songwriters sing only the verse that says "When the saints go Marching In" for obvious reasons. But the appropriation of this song to an upbeat, happy, swinging, suave jazz song now reminds me of how people think of Jesus as a tolerant Mr. Rodgers who was always nice and didn't offend people, when they are oblivious of all His rebuke on the Pharisees, other hypocrites, and even how he is going to judge and clean up this world.

mostly every nursery rhyme has a morbid/disturbing origin to it.

Ring around the Rosy, Humpty Dumpty, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Three Blind Mice.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
mostly every nursery rhyme has a morbid/disturbing origin to it.

Ring around the Rosy, Humpty Dumpty, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Three Blind Mice.
Some of that is more or less valid, but often it is just invented or a folk story. For instance, connecting Ring a ring a rosie to the plague, or Humpty Dumpty to a cannon in the English Civil War, are both baseless but common explanations.

Upvote 0