✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Who believes?

When it comes to Scripture, everything on an individual basis is based on what one believes. There is no "corporate belief" concept in Scripture, where others believe based on what others believe. Everybody understands this. Everyone presumes that what they believe is because they "choose" what to believe. The reality of this proves otherwise. What people believe falls into two camps. Those who believe Scripture based on the actual words versus those who believe what others tell them to believe. Not only that, but they are also told why they believe it. Sheep believe in the words of Scripture. They don't base their belief on what others "explain" to them or claim what Scripture teaches. Yes, they will listen to a preacher. And what a faithful preacher speaks will have the ring of truth to it, but this alone is insufficient for individual sheep to determine that what is spoken is a fact. Only when the preacher points out to them the verses that validate what he has said, and the sheep can read for themselves the words printed on paper that what they believe is determined.
Neither will the sheep settle for "one verse doctrines." God creates the sheep with an inquisitive mind that functions on logic, real life, and a thirst for Scripture truth. There are over 31,000 verses in Scripture. How ludicrous, ignorant, and illogical it is to a sheep that any doctrine can be solely established by one "isolated stand-alone" verse! God puts two powerful traits into a sheep, cynicism and skepticism. To be cynical means actively distrusting other people's nature and motivations. Skepticism is not simply doubting what others say; it means distrusting what others say. In society and culture, these two traits are frowned upon as negative traits in that there is "something wrong" with these people. Sheep, because of these traits, are looked at as "trouble makers," "They are just trying to rock the boat," "Stir the pot," "They refuse to get on the same page," or "They don't know how to play well with others."
The reality is that God gives these two traits to sheep as self-defense mechanisms. These traits keep the sheep from getting totally sucked into the "Traditions of Men." As a sheep grows, these two traits are only reinforced by the realities of life. Sheep begin doubting what others say at a very young age. Doubt turns into distrust between 20-30. I had a heavy dose of "church" growing up. But, there was always doubt in my mind about what "priests" and "pastors" were teaching me. The four "big" doctrines that I never believed were "That God loved everybody," "That God's love was unconditional," That God commanded believers to forgive all people automatically," and "That hell was a real place of eternal torment." Right behind these was any teaching about giving money. I didn't "decide" to not believe these "teachings," I didn't believe them, even though I was "taught" that these things were "biblical," and was shown these things in the "Bible."

When I began to study, I was learning about the truth of Scripture contrasted against what "pastors" were teaching. I only had a clue about the problems of English translations and very little understanding of how the "Traditions of Men" dominated the "church landscape." I believed in the pagan concept of the "church" and that the N.T. was written exclusively for Gentiles, from a Gentile mindset. I was convinced that the O.T. had nothing to do with Gentile believers and that what was taught in the O.T. was strictly for Jewish people and had no bearing on what Gentiles believed, except for prophecy. I was completely unaware of the unbreakable connection between the O.T. and N.T.
I was aware of the differences between denominations and the denomination slants applied to Scripture. I foolishly believed that the Baptists believed in some things that differed from the Pentecostals, who believed differently than the Catholics, due to the "teachers" not studying Scripture properly. Because to me, Scripture had to be the core and center of belief for everyone! I knew the different denominations were guilty of not teaching the "Whole Counsel of God," Acts 20:26-27.
(Hey folks, to Paul, the whole Counsel of God was the O.T.! So much of our theology comes from Paul. He taught from the O.T., as did Jesus, as did all of the N.T. writers, in matters of theology. The way the phrase is translated in the different English translations leads to some not understanding the actual meaning of what Paul said. Two versions translated this with the Jewish sense Paul conveyed. The NIV reads, "the whole will of God." The NASB translated it as "The whole will of God." )

I knew the different denominations were also guilty of purposely "hiding" verses from their audience. In ignorance, I "believed" that despite any difference in denominational teaching, each individual would agree with Scripture, in that if they saw it in Scripture, they would believe what Scripture taught because if it is in the "bible," it must be true. And I ignorantly thought that everyone would believe what they could read with their eyes.
I had high hopes! The easy solution to the lack of Scripture knowledge was to show certain key verses to individuals not shown or taught within their denominations. I was so eager and excited to spread the truth of Scripture to as many who would listen to me and read the verses for themselves. I knew that it was not my duty to "tell people what to believe" or to try to "persuade or convince" them into what to believe, that Scripture speaks for itself. My duty was to show them what was in Scripture.
While the different people I talked with usually had no problem with previously unknown verses that didn't interfere with what they believed, I hit a brick wall when pointing out verses that completely contradicted any of the core tenets of the E.C. world. At first, I was shocked by the rejection. I was dismayed by the denial or ignoring of what the verses said. I was thinking, "Um, I didn't make up the verses, they are in your bible as well as mine, and you tell me you believe in the Bible." I still foolishly thought that people could think for themselves and that outside the walls and influence of their church surroundings, with no pressure to "follow the denominational slant," it should be very easy for people to take what Scripture taught at face value, based on the words of Scripture alone, not anything I said.

When I started to study, I did it from a predestination mindset. As I figured out later, the TWO-CORE-FOUNDATIONAL BASIS FOR ARMINISIM IS 1. THAT GOD LOVES EVERYBODY. 2. MAN'S FREE WILL. Using my limited human knowledge and logic, I "thought" that the biggest hurdle to overcome was the false teaching that "God loved all people." If "I" could, through Scripture, get people beyond this, it would open the floodgates to people seeing and understanding predestination.
I began to focus on two verses that clearly state that rather than God "loving all people," based on misinterpreting the "strongest" verse the E.C. world can use, John 3:16, there are people God hates.

Psalm 5:4-6 For you are not a God that has any pleasure in the wickedness of men: neither will evil dwell with you. The foolish (proud) will not stand before you: YOU HATE ALL WORKERS OF INIQUITY. You will destroy them that speak lies: The Lord will ABHOR the bloody and deceitful man.

Psalm 11:5 The LORD tests the righteous: BUT THE WICKED AND HIM THAT LOVE VIOLENCE HIS SOUL HATES.

The Hebrew word for hate here, sane (pronounced saw-nay) to hate, one who hates, to personally hate one's enemy or foe, is used in both verses.

Whenever I used both of these verses, the open ears closed up. Their faces went from interest to stoic or disapproval. It always brought an end to any future teaching. I did have one guy who acknowledged that the verses were there and admitted he understood what the verses were teaching, but he didn't believe it. At least he had the integrity, to be honest.

So, I became baffled and frustrated after starting with confidence and hope. I was frustrated, not due to any sense of failure, but because of how they shut down—confused because I thought that they would see the words for themselves and acknowledge what the verses said. My bubble had burst. So, I went from enthusiasm to being very disheartened. I severely backed off from talking to people I didn't know.

I continued with my Scripture study and teaching other parts of Scripture when the opportunity arose, my focus being on God's sovereignty and undefeatable will. One of my co-workers had asked me to teach him several times, but I was reluctant due to his lifestyle, Mat 7:6. While he didn't bug me, he would still bring it up. I thought, "Well, he is consistent about it. Maybe he does want to learn Scripture." I consented, and we agreed on a time and place to meet. When we met, I told him I wanted to gauge his level of Scripture knowledge to determine where I needed to start. That conversation was the first and last. He made the statement "man wrote the bible" four times, and I told him I couldn't teach him if he believed that because it would give him the freedom to "pick and choose" what he wanted to think. He was okay with my answer.
After our meeting, I pondered why he believed that Scripture was written by man, a belief held by many people. On the other hand, I and many others believed that Scripture resulted from God dictating to men who were the writing tool in God's hand, His word.
Something happened that was a result of the Holy Spirit directing me. God's primary way of communicating with His sheep is through Scripture. But there are times when the Holy Spirit will put a thought or insight into a believer's mind. No, no member of the Godhead communicates with people by having a verbal or mental conversation. None of the Godhead appears in a vision or dream with a "message" for others today. No member of the Godhead is giving "new revelation" to anyone. If that were true, the Bible would be an ongoing endeavor. Believers will find everything they need to know already in Scripture,

Deut 8:3 And He humbled you and allowed you to hunger and fed you with manna, which you nor your fathers had known, so He could make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man (sheep) lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD. Mat 4:4, Lk 4:4.

Deut 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God, but the things He has revealed (in Scripture) belong to us (believers) and our children, that we may do all the words of this law.

Psalms 25:14 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear Him. He will show them His covenant.

2Tim 3:16 All Scripture (Old Testament) is inspired by God and is valuable for doctrine, conviction, correction, and instruction for living a righteous life.

When the Holy Spirit puts a thought or insight into a believer's mind, it is restricted to the need or purpose of that individual only. Isn't it funny that the E.C. world teaches that "Satan" has this ability, but not God? In a twist of irony, the E.C. world gives "Satan" the attributes of God and makes God weak and helpless. "Satan" can put thoughts into a person's mind, but God can't. Satan can make people sick or have a disease, but God doesn't do that. "Satan," or one of his "demons," can control a man or his thoughts, but God can't or won't. "Satan" controls people like Hitler, Stalin, etc., but God cannot do so. "Satan" doesn't need or seek man's permission to directly affect a person, but God won't do anything to or in a man unless a man "gives God permission" or "allows God to work in their life." "Satan" is a free agent; he can do whatever he wants, to whoever he wants, and to as many people as he wants, and God cannot stop or prevent Satan from "doing his dirty work?" Is the will of "Satan" far more powerful than God's? This is the god the E.C. world believes in and teaches. An inept and impotent god! A god who created everything out of nothing but is helpless against a creature he created? Is it that their god is not sovereign, and the best he can offer is that he "wants" Satan to stop?

So, the Holy Spirit got me thinking about the question, "What determines what a person believes?" I started to look into it and soon discovered that it is not "what," but who? You have to understand that this was a completely foreign concept to me, something I had never thought of or even considered. I had never heard a mention or suggestion of this from any source. This was totally out of the blue! I was very content and comfortable with the idea that every individual decided what to believe or not believe. But, after I started to study this, it soon became clear what the reality of the situation was. Talk about Scripture proof! I have found many verses on this doctrine. Besides clearing up my confusion, it is a Scripture doctrine that fits in with predestination perfectly.

The following post will show the verses.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is the will of "Satan" far more powerful than God's?
Nah, we just happen to be on the same adversarial wavelength so it is more acceptable. The counter-culture of the Kingdom that Jesus taught goes over most people's heads because it runs contrary to the ways of man.

But.. carry on.

Reactions: Derf
Upvote 0