The Ravi Zacharias scandal and....his books on my shelves.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For those of you who may not have heard, Ravi Zacharias was a well-known Christian Evangelical apologist who passed away several months ago. Over the years I've heard Ravi on the radio maybe a dozen times, defending the Christian faith and firmly refuting non-believers. And while he wasn't my favorite apologist nor one who was central to the formation of my own Christian beliefs, I have bought a few books here and there that bear his name.

Now, with the allegations that have come to light after Ravi's death (as briefly reviewed in the apologetics video below by Christian youtuber, Whaddo You Meme??) I have to ask: What should I do with the 4 or 5 Christian apologetics books by Ravi Zacharias that sit on my shelf? Should I toss them? What would you do with them? And what should we as Christians learn from this scandal?

Youtuber: Whaddo You Meme?? - Date Video Posted: Dec 23, 2020, Video length: 6 minutes, 7 seconds.

ADDENDUM: For some additional thoughts on this matter, please see post #155 below.

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’d keep them.

Ok. I may do that as well, but I'd like to know what your own reasoning would be for doing so, brother Hammster. For what reason? Doesn't Ravi fit the bill of someone whose salt has become unsalty? [This is intended to be a philosophical and "christian ethics" question, not a test question, mind you! ;)]

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For those of you who may not have heard, Ravi Zacharias was a well-known Christian Evangelical apologist who passed away several months ago. Over the years I've heard Ravi on the radio maybe a dozen times, defending the Christian faith and firmly refuting non-believers. And while he wasn't my favorite apologist nor one who was central to the formation of my own Christian beliefs, I have bought a few books here and there that bear his name.

Now, with the allegations that have come to light after Ravi's death (as briefly reviewed in the apologetics video below from Christian youtuber, Whaddo You Meme?) I have to ask: What should I do with the 4 or 5 Christian apologetics books by Ravi Zacharias that sit on my shelf? Should I toss them? What would you do with them? What should we as Christians learn from this scandal?

Youtuber: Whaddo You Meme - Date Video Posted: Dec 23, 2020, Video length: 6 minutes, 7 seconds.

Yes I'm inclined to say keep them if they helped you. I am now about to start listening to what this scandal is all about. It should be noted that Ravi was a good influence on some younger apologist's that I admire like Nabeel Qureshi especially so maybe that should be his legacy rather than whatever his moral failing was.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I'm inclined to say keep them if they helped you. I am now about to start listening to what this scandal is all about. It should be noted that Ravi was a good influence on some younger apologist's that I admire like Nabeel Qureshi especially so maybe that should be his legacy rather than whatever his moral failing was.

I like that answer, Pavel. You always have a way of digging into an issue and seeing another aspect that is useful or redeeming. Let me sleep on your response here since it's time for me to hit the hay.

Thanks for the response! :oldthumbsup:

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok. I may do that as well, but I'd like to know what your own reasoning would be for doing so, brother Hammster. For what reason? Doesn't Ravi fit the bill of someone whose salt has become unsalty? [This is intended to be a philosophical and "christian ethics" question, not a test question, mind you! ;)]
It’s about truth. If the truth of the books hasn’t changed, I’d see no reason to get rid of them.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would keep them.

A person can know the truth, and teach it, and even preach it ... and yet fail at times in applying it to his/her own life.

As to "what should Christians learn from this scandal?"

Listen to the video provided ... this man does a very good job of answering that question, but to sum it up? Don't put ministers and preachers and teachers on a 'pedestal', as if they are perfect. They are not; none of us ever achieve 'perfection' while on this earth. They are just men and women like ourselves, still subject to the temptation to sin. And sometimes, as ministers, etc., the temptation can even be greater. The enemy works hard to try to take down a man or woman of God who has an effective ministry. Sadly, he sometimes appears to succeed. We can help those that minister to us by remembering to pray for them and their families.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would toss them. For me it is an issue of agreement, do we agree with the behavior? By keeping the book, if someone sees it on the shelf, and thinks you agree with loose living, you are harming your brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I spent a lot of time studying Satan's attacks on people called to ministry. Especially those who fell. I wanted to understand his tactics and the areas he targets most. I pinpointed five. Lust is a formidable weapon that's frequently used against men. Greed is the second and he enjoys using both on people in prominent positions.

While I'm not called to the pulpit my spiritual attacks are usually relational. I get the bulk of my warfare through friends and companions. I surrendered my connections to the Lord and allow Him to put us together. Nevertheless, when I veer from doing so there's usually hell to pay.

I think its important to be honest about areas of weakness and landmines. Satan targets that place and hammers until it collapses. We shouldn't be blindsided. If lust is your stumbling block that's where he's heading. We need spiritual reinforcement and prayer.

But that requires us to be real and stop believing we can handle it. If we could, we wouldn't be tempted. Having a strong support network is a must. You need wise companions you can talk to and share your burdens with. Temptations shouldn't be ignored. Every tumble begins with denial. Telling the truth is best.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
His sins don't invalidate the arguments he made in his books, nor the Gospel message he conveyed. They tarnished his name, and the name of Christ whom he was supposed to be serving, and of course they hurt people, but the good points he made are still good points. Keep the books and study them. Obviously don't do what he did, but learn from it so that you don't do the same.

Edit: More information came out, and my attitude has changed a bit in light of that. See my new post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having a strong support network is a must. You need wise companions you can talk to and share your burdens with. Temptations shouldn't be ignored.

Isn't this 'body life' 101 ???

We get so sophisticated with our Christianity and ignore the basics.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Isn't this 'body life' 101 ??? We get so sophisticated with our Christianity and ignore the basics.

Some people develop connections easier than others. Many acknowledge difficulty doing so because of medical, emotional, or social hardships. Others are less engaging due to previous experiences. And some are loners or introverted. Some believers are uncomfortable sharing their struggles. They keep their problems to themselves.

People in the public eye are less forthcoming. They're more likely to speak to someone like themselves or an advisor with an NDA. Visibility decreases your circle.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people develop connections easier than others. Many acknowledge difficulty doing so because of medical, emotional, or social hardships. Others are less engaging due to previous experiences. And some are loners or introverted. Some believers are uncomfortable sharing their struggles. They keep their problems to themselves.

People in the public eye are less forthcoming. They're more likely to speak to someone like themselves or an advisor with an NDA. Visibility decreases your circle.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Yes, and are not these factors symptomatic of a dysfunctional body,

When the body life is healthy there is love, integrity, unity, healing, discernment, respect... the least are heard and the prominent are safe.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Now, with the allegations that have come to light after Ravi's death (as briefly reviewed in the apologetics video below from Christian youtuber, Whaddo You Meme??) I have to ask: What should I do with the 4 or 5 Christian apologetics books by Ravi Zacharias that sit on my shelf? Should I toss them? What would you do with them? And what should we as Christians learn from this scandal?

Youtuber: Whaddo You Meme?? - Date Video Posted: Dec 23, 2020, Video length: 6 minutes, 7 seconds.

Do you toss David's psalms because he was an adulterer, and worse?
Do you toss Peter's epistles because he denied Christ?

Keep 'em all.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, and are not these factors symptomatic of a dysfunctional body,

When the body life is healthy there is love, integrity, unity, healing, discernment, respect... the least are heard and the prominent are safe.

The body is comprised of imperfect people. I expect cracks. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Now, with the allegations that have come to light after Ravi's death (as briefly reviewed in the apologetics video below from Christian youtuber, Whaddo You Meme??) I have to ask: What should I do with the 4 or 5 Christian apologetics books by Ravi Zacharias that sit on my shelf? Should I toss them? What would you do with them? And what should we as Christians learn from this scandal?

I honestly don't know much about this speaker, I think I heard part of 1 sermon and for some reason I no longer remember, thought he was in error and didn't ever listen to him again...

But I will say something here. Regardless of whether you agree with the man or not, how many see whats on your shelves?

I have a tendency around here to like and agree with posts I agree with. Sometimes, I will like or agree with a post made by a person whose doctrine doesn't agree with my own because it's simply that post I'm liking or agreeing with.

I have a tendency to look at what is being said, rather than the who of who is saying it. I might agree with one post, and disagree with that posters next post, or disagree with large swaths of their positions - for instance, their eschatological positions - while very much agreeing with other positions they may hold.

But, I'm not sitting under them learning either... in a pastor, I have different standards. The pastors I listen to have a tendency to be under one category and that category of pastor tends to also be above reproach when you look at their personal lives.

If I walk into a house and find a bookshelf full of false prophets, for instance, I'm going to believe myself warned in advance of any hearing, and I'm going to listen to what they say with a far more critical ear than if that was a bookshelf full of awesome teachers.

Since your really into apologetics, I'm going to say that's for a reason and your own bookshelf might be saying something as well to those you invite in your home.

As such, you may not want to throw those books out but may desire to pack them out of sight, because your bookshelf does say something to those you invite in ... and if those you invite in are the kind who need to hear the truth, they won't listen to the guy with a lot of sexual predators on their bookshelf - perception is everything.

Upvote 0