What Are the Ramp Church Beliefs? Is It a Cult?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's not a definition of a cult used by people who generally study and research what cults are.

It IS one of the several points that such people have enumerated, however.

The only shortcoming in Edmond Smith's statement is that any denial of the Trinity falls into the same category. While it's more common to point (as he did) to those that deny the divinity of Christ, those which rework the Trinity in another way are also categorized as cults.

An example would be Swedenborgianism, which posits that Jesus was the Father in human form. Another is the former Worldwide Church of God of Herbert W. Armstrong that preached a two-way "Trinity" consisting only of the Father and Son.

Upvote 0

Edmond Smith

Jan 5, 2016
United States
✟14,316.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do they believe that Christ is the Son of God?
Or that He is God?

Anytime you take God out of the picture and you deny Christ, doesn't that led to the heretical thinking your speaking of.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just believe it's quite simple to find out whether or not your going into a Bible believing Christ centered church and a cult. Jesus, is he the main focus of the Church? Is He the only way to the Father? Did he die and rise again on the third day? or Is the pastor the main focus? Is the traditions of the church questionable? Do they preach contrary to the Word of God? Or even, do they only preach on one scripture and no others.

The secret...which isn't a secret at all...is...study the Word. If you learn God's Word and have it in your heart. The Holy Spirit will let you know when something is wrong. Remember
2Ti 2:15

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

Thank you Albion, I should have been a bit more specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildflower Fire

Apr 9, 2016
Hamilton
✟15,111.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This might be a really old thread, but I just wanted to give my input. I have grown up in Hamilton and have been told my entire life that Ramp is bad. I agree because of one reason. Karen Wheaton is not in Ramp for God she is in it for the money. She has gained a killing off of Ramp and even owns her own plane. Rampers don't believe me when I say that she owns a plane, but she did have an article published in the local newspaper explaining that her husband supposedly bought the plane ( not the Ramp's money). I have heard (may not be true) that when donations come in she takes the money and automatically throws away the letters or what also comes with the money. She also has bought out several buildings and turned them into apartments for her college students going to Ramp. They of course have to pay rent (Which I have heard is not cheap). Other than Karen Wheaton, who likes to stick her nose into town business, the high schoolers do not seem to act like Ramp has changed their life. There is only one person I know who seems to have a close relationship with God. Ramp is looked down upon by many people, but it is also becoming more excepted. Maybe God is there if you get past the gift shop, expensive equipment, and the false preachers it is known to associated with. I have heard people say it is a cult. I don't personally know. I just know I am not allowed to go. Maybe this shed some light onto Ramp. From what I hear you do have to go several times before you realize if it is a cult or not. I don't support what Ramp does. It is better not to be associated with something that has a bad reputation, than to get yourself into a spiritual hole.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I know that they have connections with false prophets from the charismatic movement, but is this church dangerous?

I think that you've answered your own question, above.

After watching a couple of videos of their services on YT, I've seen enough to say that I would strongly advise any Christian to avoid the place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it thought that "The Ramp" in Alabama is a cult? I know that they have connections with false prophets from the charismatic movement, but is this church dangerous?

P.S. I'm new. Can you search threads? Thanks.

From what I understand from my relatives in the town where The Ramp is headquartered, there's a certain amount of control. The kids who go there are discouraged from attending any other churches, even if their families go to those other churches. IOW, there's a message at The Ramp of "we're of God and you're not."
As such, the parents feel there's an attempt by The Ramp leadership to usurp their authority. At least locally, that's what gave them a bad name in the beginning.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"unorthodox theology"
= cult, abomination, heresey, satanic, evil, wicked, preversion, false, lies etc etc etc.

Not by a long shot. "Orthodox" theology is that which is promoted by the Catholic and Orthodox churches. By that standard all protestant denoms would be considered "cult, abomination, heresey, satanic, evil, wicked, preversion, false, lies etc ..."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cults are not merely heretical Christian groups, they are abusive and emotionally, psychologicall, or even physically and sexually abusive religious groups or institutions whose authoritarian control over membership pose serious risks and dangers to its members.
There are 2 different types of cults. One has things hidden, and that is important since "cult" comes from the Latin cultus -a -um, an adjective meaning "hidden." Hidden agendas, hidden doctrines, hidden rituals. Available ONLY to members in good standing.

The other type is a personality cult, such as those that formed around Sun Myung Moon, David Koresh, et al. The leader is the ONLY one who can speak for God, or is a God himself.

Upvote 0

ghancock1210

May 4, 2018
Alabama
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a regular member of Ramp Church and I also attend many conferences as well. First and foremost The Ramp is in no way a cult. The simplest explansion to give on what The Ramp is is this. It is simply a building with very anointed individuals who run after God daily and set an example for others. The people that attend and the leaders of The Ramp are just everyday people striving to have a deeper relationship with Jesus. Does that sound dangerous or cult like to you? I'm unfamiliar with any "false prophets" they associate with and would caution you on choosing your words carefully there. I pray that God gives you the understanding that you seek but I would rather you come see for yourself so you can gather your own opinion. :)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am a regular member of Ramp Church and I also attend many conferences as well. First and foremost The Ramp is in no way a cult. The simplest explansion to give on what The Ramp is is this. It is simply a building with very anointed individuals who run after God daily and set an example for others. The people that attend and the leaders of The Ramp are just everyday people striving to have a deeper relationship with Jesus. Does that sound dangerous or cult like to you? I'm unfamiliar with any "false prophets" they associate with and would caution you on choosing your words carefully there. I pray that God gives you the understanding that you seek but I would rather you come see for yourself so you can gather your own opinion. :)

People claiming themselves to have a special "anointing" from God? Yes, that does sound dangerous to me.

There is an anointing that is from God, which we have received by grace. As the Holy Apostle writes,

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." - Ephesians 1:13-14

Through the Sacrament of Holy Baptism we have been born again of God, united to Christ Jesus our Lord, and sealed with the Holy Spirit who is the promise and guarantee of God's promise to us that we shall be raised up again on the Last Day and have eternal life in the Age to Come (see also Romans 8:11).

The Holy Spirit is the common gift to the whole Church, in Whom we were sealed and anointed as the people united to Jesus Christ, as children of God by His grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The simplest explansion to give on what The Ramp is is this. It is simply a building with very anointed individuals who run after God daily and set an example for others. The people that attend and the leaders of The Ramp are just everyday people striving to have a deeper relationship with Jesus. Does that sound dangerous or cult like to you?

Since you ask, it "sounds like" too superficial a description for us to be able to tell. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Purplegirl50

May 9, 2018
Florida
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it thought that "The Ramp" in Alabama is a cult? I know that they have connections with false prophets from the charismatic movement, but is this church dangerous?

I cannot express how dangerous I believe this ministry is. My daughter had a terrible experience there. So after digging deeper I discovered countless unbiblical teachings. Go onto their website or Facebook page to watch videos of their conferences and see for yourself. This place is located in Hamilton, Alabama. There is some teaching that actually is biblical, so I think many people get tricked by that. I just really feel called to warn people.

Upvote 0

pixielee

May 11, 2018
Birmingham
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I realize there are many people who profess to be Christians that do not know the Holy Spirit or how to tap into all that God has for His people. I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church. It was not until I had a near death experience (heart stopped) and I found myself at the wall of the New Jerusalem that I realized how much God has for us. I came back from the wall to earth and found I had an important mission. Raising grandchildren. The Ramp is a body of believers hungry for more of God and desiring to "give it all away" to do the Father's work. I have been there several times. "Chosen" is the name given to their dance team.

Upvote 0

ghancock1210

May 4, 2018
Alabama
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People claiming themselves to have a special "anointing" from God? Yes, that does sound dangerous to me.

There is an anointing that is from God, which we have received by grace. As the Holy Apostle writes,

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." - Ephesians 1:13-14

Through the Sacrament of Holy Baptism we have been born again of God, united to Christ Jesus our Lord, and sealed with the Holy Spirit who is the promise and guarantee of God's promise to us that we shall be raised up again on the Last Day and have eternal life in the Age to Come (see also Romans 8:11).

The Holy Spirit is the common gift to the whole Church, in Whom we were sealed and anointed as the people united to Jesus Christ, as children of God by His grace.

-CryptoLutheran
I never said special anointing. I just said they are anointed. The anointing should carry through you as a follower of Jesus. Doesn't mean you are special just means that you carry the holy spirit. Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." “Anoint” means to set someone apart, to authorise and equip him or her for a task of spiritual importance. Jesus Christ is set apart by the work of the Holy Spirit for his ministry of preaching, healing and deliverance. The Holy Spirit sets Christians apart for their ministry in Christ’s name. Regardless of what we agree and do not agree on we are still both followers of Christ. We are all as Christians striving collectively for a common goal to share the gospel and help those that are lost become saved. In my opinion we shouldn't be putting each other down or telling others to stay away because it's dangerous. The world is already in such a mess that as believers we need to come together.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I never said special anointing. I just said they are anointed. The anointing should carry through you as a follower of Jesus. Doesn't mean you are special just means that you carry the holy spirit. Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." “Anoint” means to set someone apart, to authorise and equip him or her for a task of spiritual importance. Jesus Christ is set apart by the work of the Holy Spirit for his ministry of preaching, healing and deliverance. The Holy Spirit sets Christians apart for their ministry in Christ’s name. Regardless of what we agree and do not agree on we are still both followers of Christ. We are all as Christians striving collectively for a common goal to share the gospel and help those that are lost become saved. In my opinion we shouldn't be putting each other down or telling others to stay away because it's dangerous. The world is already in such a mess that as believers we need to come together.

All who belong to Christ have the Spirit, since the Spirit is the gift from the Father promised by the Lord Jesus which we have received by virtue of God's promise in Baptism (Acts 2:38). It is the Spirit who makes us alive to God in Christ. In the unity of the Body there are a diversity of gifts and vocations, but of the one and same Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:4).

That's why I don't understand mentioning "very anointed individuals", which would seem to imply something special, extra, or more than the common gift we have received in Jesus. And that's what I was taking issue with.

Wherever the Word is preached and the Sacraments administered we can be absolutely certain and confident that the Spirit is at work bringing home to us the things of God, to nourish us, sustain us, and preserve us both in this life and bring us through into that blessed life of the Age to Come.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Purplegirl50

May 9, 2018
Florida
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stand by my stance that the Ramp is dangerous. Some of the questionable teachers they are connected with are Benny Hinn, Kris Vallotton, John Kilpatrick, Lindell Cooley, Jim Bakker, Lou Engle, Perry Stone, Todd White, I could go on and on. These teachers are in serious error. My daughter has always been very discerning, and she could immediately tell something wasn’t right there. After watching many videos from the Ramp, the false teachings were numerous. They are Word of Faith, name it and claim it, preaching the prosperity gospel. They convinced my daughter that if you just pray hard enough and get filled with the spirit “all the way full”, you would receive whatever you prayed for. They led her to believe that if you aren’t having dreams and visions and having Jesus come directly to talk to you, you aren’t really a very spiritual Christian. It was so damaging to her. They tried to slay her in the spirit twice and pressure her into speaking in tongues. There are many solid, biblical churches out there. Please do your research and hold every teaching against the Word and test every spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jair Crawford

Feb 9, 2018
Augusta, GA
✟29,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know much about the Ramp currently but I know that one of their former pastors, Damon Thompson, is currently one of my favorite preachers. I've been keeping up with what he's doing with Carolina Revival for a couple of years now.

But keep in mind I am very open to the Charismatic Movement as well as the belief that there can still be apostles and prophets today. So the answer to your question likely will depend on your denominational beliefs.

Upvote 0

Skymak

Apr 9, 2020
Alabama
✟7,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I know this thread was from a very long time go, but I have to assure you The Ramp is not a cult. I’ve been going to conferences since 2016 and I’m almost done with my first year at the ramp school of ministry. Mrs. Karen isn’t some evil women who is money hungry. She is genuine. If you’d take time to get to know her story and how the ramp came to be you’d understand that she is opposite of what everyone is saying about her. Her “yes” has saved so many young people. Before I ever stepped foot inside the ramp I had speculations that the ramp was bad. I heard rumors but it wasn’t until I went there myself to see that all those rumors were false. The ramp has helped me in so many ways. They never forced me into anything. The leadership at the ramp is amazing. We’re just a bunch of young people going after God completely undignified. Some people look at the way we do things and call us crazy but there’s so much more to God than what most denominations preach on. Tongues, the spirit of prophecy, healing miracles, and dreams and visions are all real. Read the Bible it’s all in there. I love the ramp and I’m thankful for everything Mrs. Karen and the other leaders of the ramp has done for me. Just attend one conference or church service and you’ll see that it’s all genuine and real. God is at the ramp.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Tongues, the spirit of prophecy, healing miracles, and dreams and visions are all real. Read the Bible it’s all in there. .

I don't know many, if any really, Christians who would disagree with that. That the Bible mentions these things, and describes them, and that these things happened and were of the Holy Spirit certainly isn't in doubt.

The real question, really, is whether the sorts of things claimed and done in some modern groups is the same thing which is mentioned in the Bible.

For example, there isn't a question of whether or not glossolalia (tongues) happened in the Bible. Because it obviously did. But is what is called "tongues" in certain modern groups the same tongues that happened in the Bible.

This isn't even a debate about Cessationism vs Continualism. For example, I'm not a Cessationist. Most traditional Christians aren't. But, simultaneously, we don't accept that the observed phenomenon of "speaking in tongues" in certain modern groups is the same thing as the phenomenon recorded in the Bible. Namely this: The charism of glossolalia was one of many different kinds of charisms--gifts--which were exercised through the Church, by the power of the Spirit; but this was not a special prayer language between the speaker and God, but was real human language. It's what we see described in the Acts of the Apostles on Pentecost, the outpouring of the Spirit upon the Church resulted in those gathered to speak the languages of the various Jewish pilgrims gathered in Jerusalem. They heard their own languages spoken. That was the miracle, that these (mostly) Galilean Jews were speaking the languages and dialects of diverse peoples. Which is also why, as described by St. Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians, that in the context of the Liturgy if someone speaks in a tongue there is no benefit unless it is interpreted so as to be understood by the gathered Faithful.

Further, the Apostle goes on to explain that this charism of tongues is not a sign for the believing, but the unbelieving. He quotes the Prophet Isaiah who writes,

"For by people of strange lips and with a foreign language the LORD will speak to this people, to whom He said: 'This is a place of rest, let the weary rest; this is the place of repose.' But they would not listen." - Isaiah 28:11-12

The "sign" of tongues was a sign of judgment against those who did not believe. A sign of a stubborn people who will not hear, will not listen, to what God has said and done even though He has caused this to happen in their midst. In a sense, then, a sign of judgment against unbelieving Israel.

For this reason the Apostle instead argues that prophecy--preaching and proclamation--is greater. To boldly proclaim God's word, understood by all hearers, benefits and does more good than the speaking in tongues. The way in which this gift was, has been, and continues to be exercised through the Church is by the pastor, who as the minister of God's Word and Sacraments exercises the office of the Keys for the good of the people. Every time a pastor delivers a sermon or homily, this is the gift of prophecy being exercised in its proper, good, and apostolic way.

Even still, I believe there have been many ways the Church has exercised its prophetic mission in the world, there have been many prophets throughout the history of the Church. For example, when St. Ambrose spoke against Emperor Theodosius after the massacre of Thessalonika, this was a prophetic act. In our own recent history, we had men like Dietrich Bonhoeffer who spoke boldly against the evil of the Nazis and the apostasy of the Reichskirche. In the 1960's Martin Luther King Jr boldly proclaimed truth to power on the issue of civil rights for black Americans.

This bold preaching of truth to power, the proclamation of God's word, in truth, cutting asunder as a two-edged blade, that's the prophetic in action.

So, again, it's not that things are mentioned in the Bible--that is something we all agree on. The issue comes down to whether or not certain things we see today are in line with what Scripture teaches, and with what Christ's Church has historically confessed--because that biblical and apostolic confession is essential.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,297.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't know many, if any really, Christians who would disagree with that. That the Bible mentions these things, and describes them, and that these things happened and were of the Holy Spirit certainly isn't in doubt.

The real question, really, is whether the sorts of things claimed and done in some modern groups is the same thing which is mentioned in the Bible.

For example, there isn't a question of whether or not glossolalia (tongues) happened in the Bible. Because it obviously did. But is what is called "tongues" in certain modern groups the same tongues that happened in the Bible.

This isn't even a debate about Cessationism vs Continualism. For example, I'm not a Cessationist. Most traditional Christians aren't. But, simultaneously, we don't accept that the observed phenomenon of "speaking in tongues" in certain modern groups is the same thing as the phenomenon recorded in the Bible. Namely this: The charism of glossolalia was one of many different kinds of charisms--gifts--which were exercised through the Church, by the power of the Spirit; but this was not a special prayer language between the speaker and God, but was real human language. It's what we see described in the Acts of the Apostles on Pentecost, the outpouring of the Spirit upon the Church resulted in those gathered to speak the languages of the various Jewish pilgrims gathered in Jerusalem. They heard their own languages spoken. That was the miracle, that these (mostly) Galilean Jews were speaking the languages and dialects of diverse peoples. Which is also why, as described by St. Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians, that in the context of the Liturgy if someone speaks in a tongue there is no benefit unless it is interpreted so as to be understood by the gathered Faithful.

Further, the Apostle goes on to explain that this charism of tongues is not a sign for the believing, but the unbelieving. He quotes the Prophet Isaiah who writes,

"For by people of strange lips and with a foreign language the LORD will speak to this people, to whom He said: 'This is a place of rest, let the weary rest; this is the place of repose.' But they would not listen." - Isaiah 28:11-12

The "sign" of tongues was a sign of judgment against those who did not believe. A sign of a stubborn people who will not hear, will not listen, to what God has said and done even though He has caused this to happen in their midst. In a sense, then, a sign of judgment against unbelieving Israel.

For this reason the Apostle instead argues that prophecy--preaching and proclamation--is greater. To boldly proclaim God's word, understood by all hearers, benefits and does more good than the speaking in tongues. The way in which this gift was, has been, and continues to be exercised through the Church is by the pastor, who as the minister of God's Word and Sacraments exercises the office of the Keys for the good of the people. Every time a pastor delivers a sermon or homily, this is the gift of prophecy being exercised in its proper, good, and apostolic way.

Even still, I believe there have been many ways the Church has exercised its prophetic mission in the world, there have been many prophets throughout the history of the Church. For example, when St. Ambrose spoke against Emperor Theodosius after the massacre of Thessalonika, this was a prophetic act. In our own recent history, we had men like Dietrich Bonhoeffer who spoke boldly against the evil of the Nazis and the apostasy of the Reichskirche. In the 1960's Martin Luther King Jr boldly proclaimed truth to power on the issue of civil rights for black Americans.

This bold preaching of truth to power, the proclamation of God's word, in truth, cutting asunder as a two-edged blade, that's the prophetic in action.

So, again, it's not that things are mentioned in the Bible--that is something we all agree on. The issue comes down to whether or not certain things we see today are in line with what Scripture teaches, and with what Christ's Church has historically confessed--because that biblical and apostolic confession is essential.

-CryptoLutheran

Thank you for your excellent post. When my charismatic friends ask me if I have ever spoken in tongues I assure that that, yes, indeed, I have. I spoke in English when i was teaching in China and my interpreter translated my unknown (to the audience) tongue in the language they shared (several had as their mother language other Chinese "dialects" which are not dialects as we understand the word, but are entirely different languages).

I will readily grant that my speaking was not a language unknown to myself, but we were careful to follow Paul's admonition in I Corinthians 12 to have my words interpreted so that all could understand. Without any legitimate interpreter my speech would have been utter nonsense and, as Paul said, they could have thought me to be mad (crazy).

Upvote 0