The rabid leftist who leads Republican polls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Giuliani stands by support of publicly-funded abortions

Watch Giuliani on abortion in an interview with CNN's Dana Bash.

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani told CNN Wednesday he supports public funding for some abortions, a position he advocated as mayor and one that will likely put the GOP presidential candidate at odds with social conservatives in his party.

"Ultimately, it's a constitutional right, and therefore if it's a constitutional right, ultimately, even if you do it on a state by state basis, you have to make sure people are protected," Giuliani said in an interview with CNN's Dana Bash in Florida's capital city.

A video clip of the then-mayoral candidate issuing a similar declaration in 1989 in a speech to the "Women's Coalition" appeared recently on the Internet.

"There must be public funding for abortions for poor women," Giuliani says in the speech that is posted on the video sharing site YouTube. "We cannot deny any woman the right to make her own decisions about abortion."

When asked directly Wednesday if he still supported the use of public funding for abortions, Giuliani said "Yes."

"If it would deprive someone of a constitutional right," he explained, "If that's the status of the law, yes."

But the presidential candidate reiterated his personal opposition to the practice.

"I'm in the same position now that I was 12 years ago when I ran for mayor -- which is, personally opposed to abortion, don't like it, hate it, would advise that woman to have an adoption rather than abortion, hope to find the money for it," he said. "But it is your choice, an individual right. You get to make that choice, and I don't think society should be putting you in jail."

And the Giuliani campaign noted later in the day that the former mayor would not seek to make any changes to current law, which restricts federal funding to cases of rape, incest and the life of the mother.
Giuliani also vowed to appoint conservative judges to the bench, though denied such a promise was a "wink and a nod" to conservatives in support of overturning Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision on abortion.

"A strict constructionist judge can come to either conclusion about Roe against Wade," he said. "They can look at it and say, 'Wrongly decided thirty years ago, whatever it is, we'll over turn it.' [Or] they can look at it and say, 'It has been the law for this period of time, therefore we are going to respect the precedent.' Conservatives can come to that conclusion as well. I would leave it up to them. I would not have a litmus test on that."

Giuliani's support of publicly funded abortions is one of several issues that are likely to put him at odds with social conservatives in his party.

Regarding Southern Baptist Convention leader Richard Land's recent criticisms of Giuliani's three marriages, the former New York City Mayor said, "I've made mistakes. I've had a rocky road. I regret them. But they are between me, God, my conscience and the people involved. I wish I had led a perfect life. I keep striving, I keep trying to learn, I keep praying for help.

Watch Dana Bash's complete wide-ranging interview with Giuliani tonight at 7 p.m. ET on "The Situation Room." The presidential candidate also discusses his opponents for the GOP nomination, his views on Iraq, his relationship with his son and his fight with cancer.

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
lol i saw that article earlier today.

and quite frankly, i thank Yahweh that we will basically have two liberals running for president!! :) it's about time we got some smart people in our government.

you don't have to agree with abortion.. that's fine. in fact a good minority of democrats don't. but if you knew what all republicans did.. ugh.. .. but i suppose that this will cause debate, and might be offensive, so anyone who wants to hear my rant, PM me lol.

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sad.

He could be a great candidate if he left those issues as 'state's rights' issues, instead of going off the deep end.
If I had to come up with a profile of everything I politically oppose and deposit it in the person of one man, I could not do better than Rudy Giuliani. He is more dangerous than Hilary Clinton. At least if she wins, Republicans in Congress will fight her tooth and nail. Not to mention the fact that she is so personally irritating she'll probably succeed in alienating much of her own party.

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
lol i saw that article earlier today.

and quite frankly, i thank Yahweh that we will basically have two liberals running for president!! :) it's about time we got some smart people in our government.

you don't have to agree with abortion.. that's fine. in fact a good minority of democrats don't. but if you knew what all republicans did.. ugh.. .. but i suppose that this will cause debate, and might be offensive, so anyone who wants to hear my rant, PM me lol.
Hillary and Rudy might as well run on the same ticket.

Upvote 0

plainswolf

Mark
Jan 2, 2005
Western Nebraska
Visit site
✟5,770.00
Faith
Catholic
If I had to come up with a profile of everything I politically oppose and deposit it in the person of one man, I could not do better than Rudy Giuliani. He is more dangerous than Hilary Clinton. At least if she wins, Republicans in Congress will fight her tooth and nail. Not to mention the fact that she is so personally irritating she'll probably succeed in alienating much of her own party.
MEEE TOOO! I couldn't agree with you more!

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Couldn't agree more.

I'll be putting my support behind either Brownback or Paul, depends on who it seems will have a better shot.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hillary and Rudy might as well run on the same ticket.

That would be an interesting ticket. The parties all try to run so close together anyway that you might as well just call them Republicrats.

I always liked Pat Buchannan myself

Honestly he's about the only candidate that would lead me to vote for whoever was running against him -- very likely including Hillary Clinton.

Couldn't agree more.

I'll be putting my support behind either Brownback or Paul, depends on who it seems will have a better shot.

Neither seems to have much of a chance. I would love to see Paul have a strong candidacy.

Upvote 0

NiteClerk

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
there
✟49,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me rewrite this to incorporate another one of the U.S. Supreme Courts decisions. In 1857 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that slavery was legal. So this article could be rewritten as:

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani told CNN Wednesday he supports public funding for slavery, a position he advocated as mayor and one that will likely put the GOP presidential candidate at odds with his party.

"Ultimately, it's a constitutional right, and therefore if it's a constitutional right, ultimately, even if you do it on a state by state basis, you have to make sure people are protected," Giuliani said in an interview with CNN's Dana Bash in Florida's capital city.

A video clip of the then-mayoral candidate issuing a similar declaration in 1989 in a speech to the "Plantations Coalition" appeared recently on the Internet.

"There must be public funding for slavery for poor white folk," Giuliani says in the speech that is posted on the video sharing site YouTube. "We cannot deny any white person the right to make their own decisions about slavery."

When asked directly Wednesday if he still supported the use of public funding for slavery, Giuliani said "Yes."

"If it would deprive someone of a constitutional right," he explained, "If that's the status of the law, yes."

But the presidential candidate reiterated his personal opposition to the practice.

"I'm in the same position now that I was 12 years ago when I ran for mayor -- which is, personally opposed to slavery, don't like it, hate it, would advise that white people have children rather than slaves, hope to find the money for it," he said. "But it is your choice, an individual right. You get to make that choice, and I don't think society should be putting you in jail."

And the Giuliani campaign noted later in the day that the former mayor would not seek to make any changes to current law, which restricts federal funding to cases of buying, selling or breeding of livestock.
Giuliani also vowed to appoint liberal judges to the bench, though denied such a promise was a "wink and a nod" to liberals in support of overturning Dred Scott vs Sandford, the landmark Supreme Court decision on slavery.

"A strict constructionist judge can come to either conclusion about Scott against Sandford," he said. "They can look at it and say, 'Wrongly decided thirty years ago, whatever it is, we'll over turn it.' [Or] they can look at it and say, 'It has been the law for this period of time, therefore we are going to respect the precedent.' Liberalss can come to that conclusion as well. I would leave it up to them. I would not have a litmus test on that."

Giuliani's support of publicly funded slavery is one of several issues that are likely to put him at odds with social liberals in his party.

Regarding Southern Baptist Convention leader Richard Land's recent criticisms of Giuliani's three marriages, the former New York City Mayor said, "I've made mistakes. I've had a rocky road. I regret them. But they are between me, God, my conscience and the people involved. I wish I had led a perfect life. I keep striving, I keep trying to learn, I keep praying for help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.