The Qur’an confirms the New Testament’s account of Jesus’ death and resurrection.

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟32,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Surah 4:154

Literal
(Word by Word)

And We raised over them the mount for their covenant, and We said to them, "Enter the gate, prostrating." And We said to them. "(Do) not transgress in the Sabbath." And We took from them a covenant solemn.

Who is “them”? The Jews.

Surah 4:155

Literal
(Word by Word)

Then because of their breaking (of) their covenant and their disbelief in (the) Signs (of) Allah and their killing (of) the Prophets without any right and their saying, "Our hearts (are) wrapped." Nay, Allah (has) set a seal on their (hearts) for their disbelief so not they believe except a few.

Who is “their”? The Jews.

Surah 4:156

Literal
(Word by Word)

And for their disbelief and their saying against Maryam a slander great.

Surah 4:157

Literal
(Word by Word)

And for their saying, "Indeed, we killed the Messiah, Isa, son (of) Maryam, (the) Messenger (of) Allah." And not they killed him and not they crucified him but it was made to appear (so) to them. And indeed, those who differ in it (are) surely in doubt about it. Not for them about it [of] (any) knowledge except (the) following (of) assumption. And not they killed him, certainly.

Who is “their” ; “we”; and “they”? The Jews.

Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)
clip_image001.gif

That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Shakir
clip_image001.gif

And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

Surah 4:158

Literal
(Word by Word)

Nay, Allah raised him towards Him. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.

It is obvious that Surah 4:157 is speaking of the Jews. The verse is saying that the Jews did not kill the Messiah, nor did the Jews crucify Jesus.

This is correct because it was the Romans who killed and crucified Jesus.

Surah 4:158 is pointing out that Jesus is alive after the Romans killed Him. He resurrected from the dead.

The Qur’an confirms the New Testament’s account of Jesus’ death and resurrection.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Literal
(Word by Word)

And We raised over them the mount for their covenant, and We said to them, "Enter the gate, prostrating." And We said to them. "(Do) not transgress in the Sabbath." And We took from them a covenant solemn.

Who is “them”? The Jews.

Literal
(Word by Word)

Then because of their breaking (of) their covenant and their disbelief in (the) Signs (of) Allah and their killing (of) the Prophets without any right and their saying, "Our hearts (are) wrapped." Nay, Allah (has) set a seal on their (hearts) for their disbelief so not they believe except a few.

Literal
(Word by Word)

Literal
(Word by Word)

And for their saying, "Indeed, we killed the Messiah, Isa, son (of) Maryam, (the) Messenger (of) Allah." And not they killed him and not they crucified him but it was made to appear (so) to them. And indeed, those who differ in it (are) surely in doubt about it. Not for them about it [of] (any) knowledge except (the) following (of) assumption. And not they killed him, certainly.

clip_image001.gif

That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Shakir
clip_image001.gif

And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

Literal
(Word by Word)

It is obvious that Surah 4:157 is speaking of the Jews. The verse is saying that the Jews did not kill the Messiah, nor did the Jews crucify Jesus.

Surah 4:158 is pointing out that Jesus is alive after the Romans killed Him. He resurrected from the dead.

It is entirely possible that it could be translated to conform with the Christian understanding.
But Muslims do not understand it that way.
From a Christian perspective, it adds nothing to what we believe.
And, it is worded in such a way that it becomes very easy to believe that Jesus was not crucified at all.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is entirely possible that it could be translated to conform with the Christian understanding.
And, it is worded in such a way that it becomes very easy to believe that Jesus was not crucified at all.
Not only that... but the Quran was written many hundreds of years later. For it to confirm the NT, it would have to have been written in the first century.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Not only that... but the Quran was written many hundreds of years later. For it to confirm the NT, it would have to have been written in the first century.
Well yes, in terms of being an historical document, it is useless.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well yes, in terms of being an historical document, it is useless.
Right. The Qur’an is basically on the same footing as the Book of Mormon. It lacks an authoritative foundation. They might as well be quoting from Gulliver's Travels.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Right. The Qur’an is basically on the same footing as the Book of Mormon. It lacks an authoritative foundation. They might as well be quoting from Gulliver's Travels.
Claims to truth for both these books are based in divine revelation to a single prophet. At least with the book of Mormon, it is pretty well established that the revelation is from the single source.

The history of the compilation of the Koran is such that the more likely explanation of source is that it comes from eclectic sources across the region. The early caliphs arbitrarily chose which verses were authentic and which were not. Thousands of verses were thereby rejected in this arbitrary manner. Many of the stories of the Koran pre-exist in other literature already in existence in the region. There are words used in the Arabic Koran that come from Persian, even when Arabic words exist.
The chain of evidence at least leads us to understand that the BoM credibly is the work of the imagination of Joseph Smith. That chain of evidence for a single source for the Koran is totally lacking.
So, not only is the Koran not an historical document for the accounting of Good Friday, even the claim that it comes from the single source of Mohammed is an act of blind faith that defies all evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many, many people on this earth have a different Jesus and a different God (god) they believe in.

I have met some who claim to know Jesus
but, turns out not to be the Jesus of the Bible that I believe in.

A problem that is pretty common to man.
Fits in well with the "wide road"

M-Bob

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟32,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

The fact is that the Qur'an says it does confirm past revelations/scriptures in many verses.

My thought was reading Surah 4:157 & 8 as I presented them would back up the Qur'an.

Of course, the Muslims would have to consider the reason Jesus died and rose from the dead, but I don't think they can do that and still remain a Muslim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟32,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Many, many people on this earth have a different Jesus and a different God (god) they believe in.

I have met some who claim to know Jesus
but, turns out not to be the Jesus of the Bible that I believe in.

A problem that is pretty common to man.
Fits in well with the "wide road"

M-Bob

I believe Muslims believe in the "Jesus" of the Qur'an (Isa), but that "Jesus" is not the Jesus who walked the earth.

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟32,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
They killed him not, nor crucified him(but the Romans did), would be the clarification necessary to dispel the incorrect understandings of Muslims. That clarification is simply not in the text.

I believe it is in the text as I have explained.

Upvote 0

A Freeman

Apr 11, 2017
Sheffield
✟10,613.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Literal
(Word by Word)

Who is “them”? The Jews.

Literal
(Word by Word)

Literal
(Word by Word)

Literal
(Word by Word)

clip_image001.gif

Shakir
clip_image001.gif

Literal
(Word by Word)

The Koran also tells its readers that they must read The Law and the Gospel.
Sura 3:1-3
3:1. A. L. M. (Almighty. Loving. Merciful.)
3:2. Allah (God). There is no God but He,- the Living, the Self-Existing (YHWH - "I AM"), Eternal.
3:3. It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it and He sent down The Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the Criterion (of Judgment between right and wrong).

Sura 6:154-157
6:154. Moreover, We gave Moses the Book (Torah), COMPLETING (Our favour) to those who would do right, and explaining ALL things IN DETAIL,- and a GUIDE and a MERCY, that they might believe in the meeting with their Lord.
6:155. And this (Torah) is a Book which We have revealed as a BLESSING: so follow it and be righteous, that YE may receive mercy (Sura 32:23):
6:156. Lest YE should say: "The Book (Torah) was sent down to two Peoples before us, and for our part, we remained unacquainted with all that they learned by careful study:"
6:157. Or lest YE should say: "If the Book (Torah) had only been sent down to US, we should have FOLLOWED its guidance BETTER than they (Sura 32:23)." Now then hath come unto YOU a clear (Sign) from your Lord,- and a GUIDE and a MERCY: then who could do MORE WRONG than one who rejecteth "I AM"'s Signs (and Torah - Bible), and turneth away therefrom? In good time shall We requite those who turn away from Our Signs, with a dreadful penalty, for their turning away.

Source: The King of kings' Bible

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Claims to truth for both these books are based in divine revelation to a single prophet. At least with the book of Mormon, it is pretty well established that the revelation is from the single source.

The history of the compilation of the Koran is such that the more likely explanation of source is that it comes from eclectic sources across the region. The early caliphs arbitrarily chose which verses were authentic and which were not. Thousands of verses were thereby rejected in this arbitrary manner. Many of the stories of the Koran pre-exist in other literature already in existence in the region. There are words used in the Arabic Koran that come from Persian, even when Arabic words exist.
The chain of evidence at least leads us to understand that the BoM credibly is the work of the imagination of Joseph Smith. That chain of evidence for a single source for the Koran is totally lacking.
So, not only is the Koran not an historical document for the accounting of Good Friday, even the claim that it comes from the single source of Mohammed is an act of blind faith that defies all evidence.
There is a theory that the Koran is a mistranslation of a Syriac Lectionary.
(I don't know, just throwing that out there)

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I really don't see the point in trying to make this argument because it adds nothing to either side. This is not how Muslims understand it and the sources that they use outside of the Quran which are also authoritative completely dispel this interpretation. It does nothing from a Christian standpoint because why would we care about the ramblings of a false prophet? Even if this one aspect were true, the Quran says plenty of other stuff which is completely unacceptable for Christians so I don't really see the point.

• Agree
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟32,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I really don't see the point in trying to make this argument because it adds nothing to either side. This is not how Muslims understand it and the sources that they use outside of the Quran which are also authoritative completely dispel this interpretation. It does nothing from a Christian standpoint because why would we care about the ramblings of a false prophet? Even if this one aspect were true, the Quran says plenty of other stuff which is completely unacceptable for Christians so I don't really see the point.

I have discussed this subject with Muslims for many, many years. I have heard and read their arguments against the death of Jesus.

The point is this: I am witnessing to Muslims. It comes under the command to love your neighbor as yourself. Wouldn't you want to know you are on the wrong path? Wouldn't you want to know what Jesus Christ has done for you?

Aren't Christians commissioned to proclaim the Gospel and isn't the core of the Gospel that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead? We are NOT commissioned to keep the Gospel to ourselves.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have discussed this subject with Muslims for many, many years. I have heard and read their arguments against the death of Jesus.

The point is this: I am witnessing to Muslims. It comes under the command to love your neighbor as yourself. Wouldn't you want to know you are on the wrong path? Wouldn't you want to know what Jesus Christ has done for you?

Aren't Christians commissioned to proclaim the Gospel and isn't the core of the Gospel that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead? We are NOT commissioned to keep the Gospel to ourselves.
I would start by putting away the Qur’an and retrieve your Bible and turn to one of the Gospels, say, Luke chapter one, verse one and go from there.

"And he said, 'He who has ears to hear, let him hear.' " ~ Mark 4:9

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I would not recommend interpreting the Qur'an in a way that Muslims do not agree with, when talking to Muslims. Indeed, in general, I don't recommend interpreting the scriptures of a religion in a way that the adherents of the religion do not agree with. Scriptures exist within a community, and the scriptures and the community should be studied together, as a whole.

I have, for example, heard people of other faiths interpret Bible passages in ways that noticeably disagree with traditional Christian interpretations. These conversations don't persuade me to convert away from Christianity; instead, I find myself explaining the Bible to the other person.

For a conversation with a Muslim, I recommend positively stating your own Christian belief and experience: "Christians believe that Jesus is ... , and my experience of following Jesus as a Christian has been ... " (fill in the "..." appropriately). Perhaps the other person will find your religious beliefs attractive, or perhaps not, but they won't feel the need to begin the conversation by arguing over a proper understanding of the Qur'an.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Of course you should proclaim the Gospel to them but this argument simply won't work unless they are incredibly ignorant of their own religion, and even then, where does this really get you? Muhammad is a false prophet so you should try to point out the many flaws in the Quran, not simply try to make it compatible with the Gospel. At best you can convince somebody that Muslims have misunderstood this part of the Quran for 1400 years, but it does nothing to deal with the fact that the Quran calls Christians unbelievers because we say that Jesus is the son of God or the fact that Muhammad ordered his followers to fight us until we pay the Jizya with willing submission and feel ourselves subdued.

Upvote 0