The Quote Mine A Must Read

huggybear

Feb 2, 2008
✟421.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
is the theory of evolution based on real evidence or supposition? what evidence has been found that invalidates the theory? listed here is just a few examples of the admissions made by the leaders in this feild
and illustrations of the ireconcilable inconsistancies with the theory, there is loads and loads of examples of how and why the TOA is not consistant with logic and the fossil record,

i challenge people to have a look at both sides of the coin, and to throw out the idea of common descent through gradualism until evidence is shown that proves it, the fossil record tells the truth of life on this planet ,but hardcore evolutionists constantly ignore this fact as what they believe has so much ingrained itself into their minds that they cannot let it go,
it has been shown in a previous thread that none of the claimed transitional hominid fossils are in fact "transitional" they ar either fully ape or fully man or frauds and exxagerations
any one who is contentious about this should reexamine the evidence without their evolutionary blinkers on, the leading scientists today admit this, so we all should ,does that mean that they dont believe in evolution? no ,it just means that there is no evidence for it, there is so much evidence around today that invalidates the theory from many sources, most notably from the scientists themselves,

all these quotes are taken from www.darwinismrefuted.com (i have left the references out if anyone wants then they can go the the site )

i highly recommend people interested in this subject take a look around this website, the hardcore fundamentalist evolutionists will accuse the author of fraud or claim that the quotes themselves have been fabricated, or taken out of context, this is because in a sense they have been brainwashed by the theory, what we need today is real science, as modern science has been overrun by this invalidated theory and is hailed as a fact, when the truth is qiute to the contrary,

The evolutionist assertion is that each species on earth came from a single common ancestor through minor changes. In other words, the theory considers life as a continuous phenomenon, without any preordained or fixed categories. However, the observation of nature clearly does not reveal such a continuous picture. What emerges from the living world is that life forms are strictly separated in very distinct categories.

Robert Carroll, an evolutionist authority, admits this fact in his Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution:
Although an almost incomprehensible number of species inhabit Earth today, they do not form a continuous spectrum of barely distinguishable intermediates. Instead, nearly all species can be recognized as belonging to a relatively limited number of clearly distinct major groups, with very few illustrating intermediate structures or ways of life.

Even Darwin himself was aware of the absence of such transitional forms. He hoped that they would be found in the future. Despite his optimism, he realized that these missing intermediate forms were the biggest stumbling-block for his theory. That is why he wrote the following in the chapter of the The Origin of Species entitled "Difficulties on Theory":
…Why, if species have descended from other species by fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? Why is not all nature in confusion, instead of the species being, as we see them, well defined?… But, as by this theory innumerable transitional forms must have existed, why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?… But in the intermediate region, having intermediate conditions of life, why do we not now find closely-linking intermediate varieties? This difficulty for a long time quite confounded me.

Robert Carroll, an expert on vertebrate paleontology and a committed evolutionist, comes to admit that the Darwinist hope has not been satisfied with fossil discoveries:
Despite more than a hundred years of intense collecting efforts since the time of Darwin's death, the fossil record still does not yield the picture of infinitely numerous transitional links that he expected.

Another evolutionary paleontologist, K. S. Thomson, tells us that new groups of organisms appear very abruptly in the fossil record:
When a major group of organisms arises and first appears in the record, it seems to come fully equipped with a suite of new characters not seen in related, putatively ancestral groups. These radical changes in morphology and function appear to arise very quickly

Biologist Francis Hitching, in his book The Neck of the Giraffe: Where Darwin Went Wrong, states:
If we find fossils, and if Darwin's theory was right, we can predict what the rock should contain; finely graduated fossils leading from one group of creatures to another group of creatures at a higher level of complexity. The 'minor improvements' in successive generations should be as readily preserved as the species themselves. But this is hardly ever the case. In fact, the opposite holds true, as Darwin himself complained; "innumerable transitional forms must have existed, but why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?" Darwin felt though that the "extreme imperfection" of the fossil record was simply a matter of digging up more fossils. But as more and more fossils were dug up, it was found that almost all of them, without exception, were very close to current living animals.

The fossil record reveals that species emerged suddenly, and with totally different structures, and remained exactly the same over the longest geological periods. Stephen Jay Gould, a Harvard University paleontologist and well-known evolutionist, admitted this fact first in the late 70s:
The history of most fossil species include two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism: 1) Stasis - most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear; morphological change is usually limited and directionless; 2) Sudden appearance - in any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed'.

Some 140 years ago Darwin put forward the following argument: "Right now there are no transitional forms, yet further research will uncover them." Is this argument still valid today? In other words, considering the conclusions from the entire fossil record, should we accept that transitional forms never existed, or should we wait for the results of new research?

A professor of paleontology from Glasgow University, T. Neville George, admitted this fact years ago:
There is no need to apologize any longer for the poverty of the fossil record. In some ways it has become almost unmanageably rich and discovery is outpacing integration… The fossil record nevertheless continues to be composed mainly of gaps.

And Niles Eldredge, the well-known paleontologist and curator of the American Museum of Natural History, expresses as follows the invalidity of Darwin's claim that the insufficiency of the fossil record is the reason why no transitional forms have been found:
The record jumps, and all the evidence shows that the record is real: the gaps we see reflect real events in life's history - not the artifact of a poor fossil record.
Another American scholar, Robert Wesson, states in his 1991 book Beyond Natural Selection, that "the gaps in the fossil record are real and meaningful." He elaborates this claim in this way:
The gaps in the record are real, however. The absence of a record of any important branching is quite phenomenal. Species are usually static, or nearly so, for long periods, species seldom and genera never show evolution into new species or genera but replacement of one by another, and change is more or less abrupt.

This situation invalidates the above argument, which has been stated by Darwinism for 140 years. The fossil record is rich enough for us to understand the origins of life, and explicitly reveals that distinct species came into existence on earth all of a sudden, with all their distinct forms.
But where does the "evolution-paleontology" relationship, which has taken subconscious root in society over many decades, actually stem from? Why do most people have the impression that there is a positive connection between Darwin's theory and the fossil record whenever the latter is mentioned? The answer to these questions is supplied in an article in the leading journal Science:

A large number of well-trained scientists outside of evolutionary biology and paleontology have unfortunately gotten the idea that the fossil record is far more Darwinian than it is. This probably comes from the oversimplification inevitable in secondary sources: low-level textbooks, semipopular articles, and so on. Also, there is probably some wishful thinking involved. In the years after Darwin, his advocates hoped to find predictable progressions. In general these have not been found yet the optimism has died hard, and some pure fantasy has crept into textbooks.

N. Eldredge and I. Tattersall also make an important comment:
That individual kinds of fossils remain recognizably the same throughout the length of their occurrence in the fossil record had been known to paleontologists long before Darwin published his Origin. Darwin himself, ...prophesied that future generations of paleontologists would fill in these gaps by diligent search ...One hundred and twenty years of paleontological research later, it has become abundantly clear that the fossil record will not confirm this part of Darwin's predictions. Nor is the problem a miserably poor record. The fossil record simply shows that this prediction is wrong.
The observation that species are amazingly conservative and static entities throughout long periods of time has all the qualities of the emperor's new clothes: everyone knew it but preferred to ignore it. Paleontologists, faced with a recalcitrant record obstinately refusing to yield Darwin's predicted pattern, simply looked the other way.

Likewise, the American paleontologist Steven M. Stanley describes how the Darwinist dogma, which dominates the world of science, has ignored this reality demonstrated by the fossil record:
The known fossil record is not, and never has been, in accord with gradualism. What is remarkable is that, through a variety of historical circumstances, even the history of opposition has been obscured. ... 'The majority of paleontologists felt their evidence simply contradicted Darwin's stress on minute, slow, and cumulative changes leading to species transformation.' ... their story has been suppressed.

Richard Dawkins, one of the foremost advocates of evolutionist thought in the world, comments on this reality that undermines the very foundation of all the arguments he has been defending:
For example the Cambrian strata of rocks… are the oldest ones in which we find most of the major invertebrate groups. And we find many of them already in an advanced state of evolution, the very first time they appear. It is as though they were just planted there, without any evolutionary history.

Phillip Johnson, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley who is also one of the world's foremost critics of Darwinism, describes the contradiction between this paleontological truth and Darwinism:
Darwinian theory predicts a "cone of increasing diversity," as the first living organism, or first animal species, gradually and continually diversified to create the higher levels of taxonomic order. The animal fossil record more resembles such a cone turned upside down, with the phyla present at the start and thereafter decreasing.

An article published in the journal Science in 2001 says: "The beginning of the Cambrian period, some 545 million years ago, saw the sudden appearance in the fossil record of almost all the main types of animals (phyla) that still dominate the biota today."The same article notes that for such complex and distinct living groups to be explained according to the theory of evolution, very rich fossil beds showing a gradual developmental process should have been found, but this has not yet proved possible:

The picture presented by the Cambrian fossils clearly refutes the assumptions of the theory of evolution, and provides strong evidence for the involvement of a "supernatural" being in their creation. Douglas Futuyma, a prominent evolutionary biologist, admits this fact:
Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must indeed have been created by some omnipotent intelligence.

The fossil record clearly indicates that living things did not evolve from primitive to advanced forms, but instead emerged all of a sudden in a fully formed state. This provides evidence for saying that life did not come into existence through random natural processes, but through an act of intelligent creation. In an article called "the Big Bang of Animal Evolution" in the leading journal Scientific American, the evolutionary paleontologist Jeffrey S. Levinton accepts this reality, albeit unwillingly, saying "Therefore, something special and very mysterious - some highly creative "force" - existed then

The record from the Cambrian Age demolishes Darwinism, both with the complex bodies of trilobites, and with the emergence of very different living bodies at the same time. Darwin wrote "If numerous species, belonging to the same genera or families, have really started into life all at once, the fact would be fatal to the theory of descent with slow modification through natural selection."-that is, the theory at the heart of in his book. But as we saw earlier, some 60 different animal phyla started into life in the Cambrian Age, all together and at the same time, let alone small categories such as species. This proves that the picture which Darwin had described as "fatal to the theory" is in fact the case. This is why the Swiss evolutionary paleoanthropologist Stefan Bengtson, who confesses the lack of transitional links while describing the Cambrian Age, makes the following comment: "Baffling (and embarrassing) to Darwin, this event still dazzles us."

THE END

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Huggy bear already knows what honest members of this board think of quote mines, he knows how long it will take for honest people to go through his spam and place each quote into its original context and meaning, and yet still he does this.

tells you all you really need to know about him really.

I will join in in putting each one of these quotes into its proper context, I'm off to bed now, but I will leave you with a thought:

Seeing as Niles Eldridge wrote a book called " The triumph of Evolution, The Failure of Creationism"

http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Evolution-Failure-Creationism/dp/0805071474/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

Which I own, and very good it is.

Is it really likely that he would author a quote with the meaning that Huggy Bear is attempting suggest above.

I would hazard that one of them is dishonest.

My money is on the bear

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
is the theory of evolution based on real evidence or supposition? the idea of common descent through gradualism...the leading scientists today admit this, so we all should ,does that mean that they dont believe in evolution? no...what we need today is real science, each species on earth came from a single common ancestor through minor changes.

I agree.

Reactions: Naraoia
Upvote 0

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

huggybear

Feb 2, 2008
✟421.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What an embarrassment

I see you have fled all the other threads where you are being soundly thrashed in order to spam the site, well done.
soundly thrashed? thats very funny because i smashed every claim that was thrown, i created this thread so that the lurkers can find this information easier

Upvote 0

huggybear

Feb 2, 2008
✟421.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Huggy bear already knows what honest members of this board think of quote mines, he knows how long it will take for honest people to go through his spam and place each quote into its original context and meaning, and yet still he does this.

tells you all you really need to know about him really.

I will join in in putting each one of these quotes into its proper context, I'm off to bed now, but I will leave you with a thought:

Seeing as Niles Eldridge wrote a book called " The triumph of Evolution, The Failure of Creationism"

http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Evolution-Failure-Creationism/dp/0805071474/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

Which I own, and very good it is.

Is it really likely that he would author a quote with the meaning that Huggy Bear is attempting suggest above.

I would hazard that one of them is dishonest.

My money is on the bear
yes i know you dont like quote mining, and i also know why you dont, give up, you cannot invalidate these findings, if you disagree with them take it up with the scientist in question

before you go on about misqoutations again and again, why dont you prove that niles did not say this

"The record jumps, and all the evidence shows that the record is real: the gaps we see reflect real events in life's history "

it just shows how pathetic you all are,to make such claims ,it shows how profoundly stupid you are,and how you are not worth even a pinch of salt, if you want to deny the quotes PROVE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT ,

Upvote 0

huggybear

Feb 2, 2008
✟421.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
is that all you have got? i mean cant you even intelligently defend these claims? i dont even need to bother refuting all your senseless comments as the decent intelligent people who come by this thread will see through your vain unsuccessful refute of these findings, the quotes speak for themselves

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trivista

Nov 22, 2006
✟15,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
is that all you have got? i mean cant you even intelligently defend these claims? i dont even need to bother refuting all your senseless comments as the decent intelligent people who come by this thread will see through your vain unsuccessful refute of these findings, the quotes speak for themselves
You may borrow some of these ''''''''''' if those break in shipping please use these much better packed ones [']['][']['][']['][']['][']['][']['].

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
yes i know i cant even intelligently defend these claims it just shows how pathetic (and) profoundly stupid and not worth even a pinch of salt (i am)

i dont even need to bother refuting all your decent intelligent findings
Correct again!

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes i know you dont like quote mining, and i also know why you dont, give up, you cannot invalidate these findings, if you disagree with them take it up with the scientist in question

before you go on about misqoutations again and again, why dont you prove that niles did not say this

"The record jumps, and all the evidence shows that the record is real: the gaps we see reflect real events in life's history "

it just shows how pathetic you all are,to make such claims ,it shows how profoundly stupid you are,and how you are not worth even a pinch of salt, if you want to deny the quotes PROVE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT ,
Um, the dude wrote a book entitled The Triumph of Evolution (And the Failure of Creationism). A quote like the one you are determined to misrepresent actually refers to the theory of punctuated equilibria which was championed by Eldredge and Stephen Gould.

Now, this part of the discussion should be over. We win; you lose. If you pursue it, be prepared to defend against accusations of lying. I'm not going to charitably assume you are simply ignorant and are repeating comfortable propaganda much longer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

This one is good:

link said:
Dr. Stephen Jay Gould

Professor of geology, Harvard University; author of The Panda's Thumb; and probably the single most misquoted and misused scientist among the creationists' unwilling allies. This excerpt is from "Evolution as Fact and Theory, " Discover, May 1981.

It is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists—whether through design or stupidity, I do not know—as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level but are abundant between larger groups. The evolution from reptiles to
mammals . . . is well documented. Yet a pamphlet entitled "Harvard Scientists Agree Evolution Is a Hoax" states: "The facts of punctuated equilibrium, which Gould and Eldredge . . . are forcing Darwinists to swallow fit the picture that [William Jennings] Bryan insisted on and which God has revealed to us in the Bible."

Gould was a brilliant provocateur who managed to annoy many of his fellow scientists with his sometimes over the top critique of gradualism and adaptionism, but he's certainly no friend of creationists. He's probably as far from a creationist as it's humanly possible to get.

Peter :)

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour

If it is a battle for the lurkers, I suggest they go here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/mine/project.html

So they can revel in your dishonesty

I ask you again; do you really wish to suggest that a man who wrote a book called:

The Triumph of Evolution

Doesn't think that evolution is correct?

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Robert Carroll, an evolutionist authority, admits this fact in his Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution:
Although an almost incomprehensible number of species inhabit Earth today, they do not form a continuous spectrum of barely distinguishable intermediates. Instead, nearly all species can be recognized as belonging to a relatively limited number of clearly distinct major groups, with very few illustrating intermediate structures or ways of life.

I see no problem with this quote from the point of view of a palaeontologist.

I can only assume that you don't understand it.

Next

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Even Darwin himself was aware of the absence of such transitional forms. He hoped that they would be found in the future. Despite his optimism, he realized that these missing intermediate forms were the biggest stumbling-block for his theory. That is why he wrote the following in the chapter of the The Origin of Species entitled "Difficulties on Theory":
…Why, if species have descended from other species by fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? Why is not all nature in confusion, instead of the species being, as we see them, well defined?… But, as by this theory innumerable transitional forms must have existed, why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?… But in the intermediate region, having intermediate conditions of life, why do we not now find closely-linking intermediate varieties? This difficulty for a long time quite confounded me.

Quote mining Darwin is as old as the theory of evolution itself. Darwin used a rhetorical device where he built up the case against his theory and then answered that case. Obviously dishonest quote miners like Huggy Bear quote the first bit and claim it was never answered.

Go here to see Huggy being dishonest:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/mine/part2.html#quote2.6

Quote #2.6

[Re: "lack" of transitional fossils]

But, as by this theory, innumerable transitional forms must have existed, why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?" (Origin of Species, 1859).

Representative quote miners: The Theory of Evolution vs and Creation Evidence Discredits Evolution

There is no surprise here. Darwin is proceeding by his usual method of asking a question and then answering it. Creationist quote miners classically omit his answer.

In the sixth edition this appears in Chapter 6, "Difficulties on Theory", on p. 134 (in the first edition it appears on p. 172 with a different follow-up):

But, as by this theory innumerable transitional forms must have existed, why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?It will be more convenient to discuss this question in the chapter on the Imperfection of the Geological Record; and I will here only state that I believe the answer mainly lies in the record being incomparably less perfect than is generally supposed. The crust of the earth is a vast museum; but the natural collections have been imperfectly made, and only at long intervals of time.

Besides leaving out the context, this is misleading in a subtler way when used for the proposition that there are no transitional forms. Darwin is not talking about the existence or nonexistence of transitionals here, but of an "innumerable" series of finely-graded transitionals linking together all extinct and existing forms. As he says later in Chapter XI of the sixth edition on page 342:

These causes [the imperfection of the fossil record, the limited exploration of the record, poor fossilization of certain body types, etc.], taken conjointly, will to a large extent explain why -- though we do find many links -- we do not find interminable varieties, connecting together all extinct and existing forms by the finest graduated steps. It should also be constantly borne in mind that any linking variety between two forms, which might be found, would be ranked, unless the whole chain could be perfectly restored, as a new and distinct species; for it is not pretended that we have any sure criterion by which species and varieties can be discriminated.

In short, the use of the quote to imply there are no transitionals misstates Darwin's argument, intentionally or out of ignorance. Darwin was not stating that there was an absence of transitionals but, in fact, stated there were "many links." Instead, he was discussing why there are not more transitionals in an easily read pattern of gradual change. As Darwin correctly noted, where the fossil record does not approach "perfection," it is difficult, if not impossible, to tell by morphology alone exactly where any particular organism would fall within such a graduated series. Thus, such an organism might be classified as a distinct species from either the original or the subsequent ones. However, such organisms, being general morphological intermediates between different forms, as in the case of Archaeopteryx, would, along with other evidence, support an inference of evolutionary change over time through common descent. The fossil record may not be easy to read, but it is not devoid of information either.

Even if the quote stood for what the quote miners claim it does, Darwin was writing almost 150 years ago, at a time early in the scientific study of fossils and when few scientists were expecting to find "transitional forms." Much has been learned since, some of which can be seen in various articles in the Archive, such as: Transitional Vertebrate Fossils FAQ, Archaeopteryx FAQs, and 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution, among others.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Robert Carroll, an expert on vertebrate paleontology and a committed evolutionist, comes to admit that the Darwinist hope has not been satisfied with fossil discoveries:
Despite more than a hundred years of intense collecting efforts since the time of Darwin's death, the fossil record still does not yield the picture of infinitely numerous transitional links that he expected.

can't see a problem here, palaeontology continues more transitionals are found, we now no more about the vagaries of preservation and how evolution often proceeds by punctuated equilibrium in small populations.

In brief our understanding of how evolution proceeds and is recorded has changed somewhat in the last 150 years. That is what science does.

Upvote 0