Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"There were still people being stoned for adultery in the Bible at the same time David wasn't stoned"

Can you provide proof of this or is it an assumption?

I am sure you can't find proof of that in the OT testament during or after the time of David.

St. Stephen, the first martyr was '_____' to death.

God be gracious to me a sinner.

Reactions: VictorC
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
St. Stephen, the first martyr was '_____' to death.

And? I said in the OT didn't I?

There is a reason I specified the time.

Find me an instance from the time when Israel started having Kings to the time when there were under Roman Rule and did not have a king, when anyone was stoned due to the violation of Moses' law.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And? I said in the OT didn't I?

There is a reason I specified the time.

Find me an instance from the time when Israel started having Kings to the time when there were under Roman Rule and did not have a king, when anyone was stoned due to the violation of Moses' law.

And what do you think Stephen was killed for? Was it a dietary law?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What law changed?

There is a passage that spells out what law is envisioned in Hebrews 7:12. The passage is the whole of second Corinthians chapter three.

It reads thus:
2 Corinthians 3:1-18 NAB 1 Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some do, letters of recommendation to you or from you? 2 You are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by all, 3 shown to be a letter of Christ administered by us, written not in ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets that are hearts of flesh. 4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that of ourselves we are qualified to take credit for anything as coming from us; rather, our qualification comes from God, 6 who has indeed qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit; for the letter brings death, but the Spirit gives life.

7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, was so glorious that the Israelites could not look intently at the face of Moses because of its glory that was going to fade, 8 how much more will the ministry of the Spirit be glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation was glorious, the ministry of righteousness will abound much more in glory. 10 Indeed, what was endowed with glory has come to have no glory in this respect because of the glory that surpasses it. 11 For if what was going to fade was glorious, how much more will what endures be glorious. 12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we act very boldly 13 and not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the Israelites could not look intently at the cessation of what was fading. 14 Rather, their thoughts were rendered dull, for to this present day the same veil remains unlifted when they read the old covenant, because through Christ it is taken away. 15 To this day, in fact, whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their hearts, 16 but whenever a person turns to the Lord the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 All of us, gazing with unveiled face on the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, as from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You aren't understanding. Did Israel have a King then? NOOO.

I said a period when they did.

I understood. You already lost the argument.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understood. You already lost the argument.

Lost it how? You and your friend lost it because you cannot prove that elements of the law was not changed during the time of David up until the accounts in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the woman who was about to be stoned and Jesus stopped them?

John 8:7
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
"There were still people being stoned for adultery in the Bible at the same time David wasn't stoned"

Can you provide proof of this or is it an assumption?

I am sure you can't find proof of that in the OT testament during or after the time of David.
My proof is in the continuation of the practice as witnessed in the New Testament. If you think suddenly they stopped the stonings altogether and then reinstated them later in Jesus time then you are mistaken.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
And the woman who was about to be stoned and Jesus stopped them?

And don't forget.....
Acts 7:58-60

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

58 When they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him; and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” 60 Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them!” Having said this, he [a]fell asleep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lost it how? You and your friend lost it because you cannot prove that elements of the law was not changed during the time of David up until the accounts in the New Testament.

We don't care if they were or not. The subject is the 10 commandments, specifically the fourth.

The NT is very clear that something about the 10 commandments changed.

It's clear that the SDA would like to focus the change on anything else. It's called a diversionary tactic.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My proof is in the continuation of the practice as witnessed in the New Testament. If you think suddenly they stopped the stonings altogether and then reinstated them later in Jesus time then you are mistaken.

WELL PROVE IT TO ME.

If I am wrong prove it. The only evidence you can show of this is during the period when Israel DID NOT have a King and this is completely relevant.

But you cant show me and you can't admit it because then it would ruin your argument.

I've looked myself and I can't find an instance. Good luck. If you want to know why it is relevant then ask and I'll tell you.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't care if they were or not. The subject is the 10 commandments, specifically the fourth.

The NT is very clear that something about the 10 commandments changed.

It's clear that the SDA would like to focus the change on anything else. It's called a diversionary tactic.

Really, that's the subject?

Now you're trying to run from the question because you can't prove it.

You accused me of picking and choosing.

I am trying to show you that some of the laws were changed even in OT times so to act now like I am picking and choosing and that I need to believe that stoning someone for committing adultery should also be done since I believe in the commandments is wrong.

Clearly you have no interest in understand my position yet you started the thread claiming no SDA can answer your question but you run from the discussion.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
WELL PROVE IT TO ME.

If I am wrong prove it. The only evidence you can show of this is during the period when Israel DID NOT have a King and this is completely relevant.

But you cant show me and you can't admit it because then it would ruin your argument.

I've looked myself and I can't find an instance. Good luck. If you want to know why it is relevant then ask and I'll tell you.
I'm sorry but it is up to you to prove it. The Bible says that the people WANTED to stone David. It was according to the Law. There is no proof stonings stopped at that point, I've proven that they continued all the way until the temple was destroyed.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't this your point?

That's my point. They don't know. They honestly think nothing has, and nothing should, 'change' where the law is concerned.

I'm trying to show you what has and you're saying that's not the subject????????????????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wasn't this your point?

I'm trying to show you what has and you're saying that's not the subject????????????????

You deny that the 10 commandments changed right? Unable or unwilling to admit that.

That's the subject.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but it is up to you to prove it. The Bible says that the people WANTED to stone David. It was according to the Law. There is no proof stonings stopped at that point, I've proven that they continued all the way until the temple was destroyed.

You haven't proven anything since you have not shown me scripture. However there are many instances that shows where the Kings had their own punishments different to what God commanded Moses.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Your question shows a misunderstand of the SDA position. We do not claim that none of the law is abolished. We do not claim that everything is the same as it was in the OT.

Hebrews 10:1 tells you that the law is a shadow of things to come and goes on to explain that it was because of the sacrifices and ordinance contained in the law that it no longer is necessary.

What we do not do which others do is clump up every single law of the OT into one unit. We understand that God's commandment which says Thou Shalt not commit adultery is different from the law which said that if woman is caught in adultery she should be stonned to death. We understand that the latter was only a civil law to serve the nation of Israel at that time while God command not to commit adultery was a moral law stating what sin is.

So when it speaks of the changing the priesthood meaning Jesus not being out high priest and no longer an earthly priest. It means all those laws that talked about what the earthly priest needed to do and what offerings he was to make and what feasts they were supposed to have to make atonement for sin, all of this needs to be changed. Out new high priest has a different method. Our new high priest says we approach the throne of grace boldly and we do not need to bring a lamb anymore. Our new high priest says no more meat offering and drink offers and no more special days like the day of atonement and the Pentecost. No more need for that. This is what you get when you read Hebrews 7 - 10.

Hebrews 7 - 10 specifically focuses on the elements of the sanctuary service and the ritual and ordinances that were done before, and how we now because of the New Covenant no longer need to perform those things. How Jesus now is in the Heavenly Sanctuary ministering on our behalf. That is what the change of the law is about.
The above post must then denies Mat 5:17-18 as correct. It says every jot and tittle.

Reactions: VictorC
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You deny that the 10 commandments changed right? Unable or unwilling to admit that.

That's the subject.

This makes no sense. You're just running around the issue.

You accuse me of picking and choosing and when I'm trying to show you why it's not picking and choosing you're telling me that's not the point and you want to totally change the direction of the discussion since it does not favor you.

Have a good day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.