Long Island, New York
✟15,935.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I was thinking about this, and realized that it must have been a literal snake, since all of snakekind was cursed to no longer have legs. If it was Satan in the form of a snake, why would God curse the entire species of snakes when it was not TRULY a snake?
I'm just not convinced that the ancient Jews would have understood the serpent in that story as anything other than one of God's animals. It refers to the snake as the "craftiest of all the Lord's creations" or something like this. I mean, especially since Satan in the OT is on God's Heavenly Council in the Book of Job.

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking about this, and realized that it must have been a literal snake, since all of snakekind was cursed to no longer have legs. If it was Satan in the form of a snake, why would God curse the entire species of snakes when it was not TRULY a snake?

It was satan in the form of a snake. The being possessing the snake is described in the root word as " A primitive root; properly to hiss, that is, whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate: - X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by experience, X indeed, diligently observe."

Why all of snakedom was cursed is unknown, other than that being God's prerogative.

I'm just not convinced that the ancient Jews would have understood the serpent in that story as anything other than one of God's animals. It refers to the snake as the "craftiest of all the Lord's creations" or something like this. I mean, especially since Satan in the OT is on God's Heavenly Council in the Book of Job.

Where is satan presented as on God's heavenly council in the book of Job?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was thinking about this, and realized that it must have been a literal snake,
I think it was a serpent-beast.

Specifically a dragon, and probably Eve's favorite pet.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I really wonder if we live in the same universe.

Good point, and good sense.

We are and we are not. Christian's universe has one more dimension than your universe. When Christians talk about things belong to the additional dimension, it leaves you behind.

Everything you understand, I (can) understand. Something I understand, you don't (can't). For example:

When I say: happy Thanksgiving. You can only understand "thanksgiving" but not "Thanksgiving".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I really wonder if we live in the same universe.
Ya ... believing it was a snake would put us both under the same roof, wouldn't it? :doh:

Nevermind that Jesus called it a "dragon," Wrong's Concordance says "snake."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good point, and good sense.

We are and we are not. Christian's universe has one more dimension than your universe. When Christians talk about things belong to the additional dimension, it leaves you behind.

Everything you understand, I (can) understand. Something I understand, you don't (can't). For example:

When I say: happy Thanksgiving. You can only understand "thanksgiving" but not "Thanksgiving".
So true!

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
well, anything is possible.... or is it?

some websites, long since past (search if you like) , of biblical, hebrew and ancient knowledge and customs and inclinations , honoring yhvh and not man nor man's traditions,

showed , right or wrong, that what deceives believers today is the same as what deceived chavah at the beginning,

i.e. "an angel of light"

and that no matter how or when or where or why the truth of this is shown,

most people with a long long long history of believing a literal snake talked,
cannot be convinced that an angel talked instead. go figure.

they may still believe the devil is a real dragon ! (like puff the magic dragon or something ?!)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nevermind that Jesus called it a "dragon,"

Question #1: What is 'it'? The serpent in the garden?

Question #2: Where does Jesus say this? Apart from Revelation, there aren't a lot of (any?) dragons in the NT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it was a serpent-beast.

Specifically a dragon, and probably Eve's favorite pet.

נָחָש

Serpent, not dragon. I believe many things. It doesn't change what was written.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We are and we are not. Christian's universe has one more dimension than your universe.

No, I have that dimension to. It's called "imagination". The only difference is that I realise that the dimension only exists between our ears.

When Christians talk about things belong to the additional dimension, it leaves you behind.

Yep. Much like when Edgar Cayce talks about his previous life on Atlantis. Or when the guy in room 2458 claims that the CIA is reading his mind with a satelite dish.

Everything you understand, I (can) understand.

Except basic scientific principles, logic, rational reasoning, ... :thumbsup:

And when I say "happy winter solstice" or "happy Saturnalia", you respond with "happy christmass to you too".

Let's see if you understand that. You should since you "can understand everything I understand". ^_^

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
נָחָש

Serpent, not dragon. I believe many things. It doesn't change what was written.
Does your belief make you wonder why God cursed the whole genus of snakes?

Does your belief make you wonder how snakes could talk back then?

Does your belief make you assume it was a fairy tale, just so you can rid yourself of the cognitive dissonance that science would exert on you?

Upvote 0

Euler

Sep 6, 2014
✟9,028.00
Faith
Atheist
It was a story.

Just a story.

Written by ancient men, striving to make sense of their world.

Just like the Norsemen trying to make sense. Just like the Hindus trying to make sense. Just like the Australian Aborigines trying to make sense. Just like the Druids trying to make sense. Just like the native Americans trying to make sense.

When you don't have answers, you make up stories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ryukil

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island, New York
✟15,935.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think you're right Euler. I mean...the Bible stories are exactly what you would expect people with no knowledge of the universe to write.

Also, to the person who said it was a spirit of serpentine shape....if it was a spirit why were all snakes cursed to crawl on their bellies? I always thought that Biblical explanation of why snakes have no legs is that one of them lied to Eve and told her to eat fruit from the tree.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was a story.

Just a story.

Written by ancient men, striving to make sense of their world.

Just like the Norsemen trying to make sense. Just like the Hindus trying to make sense. Just like the Australian Aborigines trying to make sense. Just like the Druids trying to make sense. Just like the native Americans trying to make sense.

When you don't have answers, you make up stories.
Are you addressing me?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, I have that dimension to. It's called "imagination". The only difference is that I realise that the dimension only exists between our ears.

Yep. Much like when Edgar Cayce talks about his previous life on Atlantis. Or when the guy in room 2458 claims that the CIA is reading his mind with a satelite dish.

Except basic scientific principles, logic, rational reasoning, ... :thumbsup:

And when I say "happy winter solstice" or "happy Saturnalia", you respond with "happy christmass to you too".

Let's see if you understand that. You should since you "can understand everything I understand". ^_^

I stopped teaching when a person stop learning.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The "Serpent" was in the Garden of Eden. Man was banned from that Garden. If you could walk with God by your side, saw a tree of life, and a talking serpent, you'd be in the Garden. Mankind was banned from that place. We are not in the Garden with the talking serpent.

Upvote 0