The question isn't between "works" or "grace".

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems that, without our genuine union with Christ, "works" and "grace" are really just two sides of the same coin (as the saying goes). I read about a new word this morning: "antinomianism" (it's new to me, anyway). This is the definition:
Antinomianism

adjective
relating to the view that Christians are released by grace from the obligation of observing the moral law.

....which led me to this article:

The One Genuine Cure for Legalism and Antinomianism
FROM Sinclair Ferguson

The antinomian is by nature a person with a legalistic heart. He or she becomes an antinomian in reaction. But this implies only a different view of law, not a more biblical one.

Richard Baxter’s comments are therefore insightful:

Antinomianism rose among us from an obscure Preaching of Evangelical Grace, and insisting too much on tears and terrors.
The wholescale removal of the law seems to provide a refuge. But the problem is not with the law, but with the heart—and this remains unchanged. Thinking that his perspective is now the antithesis of legalism, the antinomian has written an inappropriate spiritual prescription. His sickness is not fully cured. Indeed the root cause of his disease has been masked rather than exposed and cured.

There is only one genuine cure for legalism. It is the same medicine the gospel prescribes for antinomianism: understanding and tasting union with Jesus Christ Himself. This leads to a new love for and obedience to the law of God, which he now mediates to us in the gospel. This alone breaks the bonds of both legalism (the law is no longer divorced from the person of Christ) and antinomianism (we are not divorced from the law, which now comes to us from the hand of Christ and in the empowerment of the Spirit, who writes it in our hearts). -----> (complete article here)

So, like most truth, it seems that the Truth is between legalism and grace-only. To me....the clearest way to express that in a different way would be to say that in the middle is Christ. Instead of seeing the Bible as broken up into two (at least two) covenants.......we should (IMO) see continuity in covenants from Adam until Christ Jesus. What God desired all along (I think) is that humanity had their full allegiance to God (and followed His instruction and guidance ONLY).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that, without our genuine union with Christ, "works" and "grace" are really just two sides of the same coin (as the saying goes). I read about a new word this morning: "antinomianism" (it's new to me, anyway). This is the definition:
Antinomianism

adjective
relating to the view that Christians are released by grace from the obligation of observing the moral law.

FROM Sinclair Ferguson

The antinomian is by nature a person with a legalistic heart. He or she becomes an antinomian in reaction. But this implies only a different view of law, not a more biblical one.

Antinomianism rose among us from an obscure Preaching of Evangelical Grace, and insisting too much on tears and terrors.
The wholescale removal of the law seems to provide a refuge. But the problem is not with the law, but with the heart—and this remains unchanged. Thinking that his perspective is now the antithesis of legalism, the antinomian has written an inappropriate spiritual prescription. His sickness is not fully cured. Indeed the root cause of his disease has been masked rather than exposed and cured.

There is only one genuine cure for legalism. It is the same medicine the gospel prescribes for antinomianism: understanding and tasting union with Jesus Christ Himself. This leads to a new love for and obedience to the law of God, which he now mediates to us in the gospel. This alone breaks the bonds of both legalism (the law is no longer divorced from the person of Christ) and antinomianism (we are not divorced from the law, which now comes to us from the hand of Christ and in the empowerment of the Spirit, who writes it in our hearts). -----> (complete article here)​
So, like most truth, it seems that the Truth is between legalism and grace-only. To me....the clearest way to express that in a different way would be to say that in the middle is Christ. Instead of seeing the Bible as broken up into two (at least two) covenants.......we should (IMO) see continuity in covenants from Adam until Christ Jesus. What God desired all along (I think) is that humanity had their full allegiance to God (and followed His instruction and guidance ONLY).

Thoughts?
Some informative links as Martin Luther wrote disputations against the antinomians of his time:

Information on the history and issues: The Antinomian Disputations - Lutheran Reformation

Luther's actual writings on the subject: Against the Antinomians (Martin Luther) | Natural Law, Natural Rights, and American Constitutionalism

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some informative links as Martin Luther wrote disputations against the antinomians of his time:
Thank you. I'll check out the links you shared. I've never once heard this term before (that I've noticed, anyway).

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Antinomianism

adjective

FROM Sinclair Ferguson

There is only one genuine cure for legalism. It is the same medicine the gospel prescribes for antinomianism: understanding and tasting union with Jesus Christ Himself. This leads to a new love for and obedience to the law of God, which he now mediates to us in the gospel. This alone breaks the bonds of both legalism (the law is no longer divorced from the person of Christ) and antinomianism (we are not divorced from the law, which now comes to us from the hand of Christ and in the empowerment of the Spirit, who writes it in our hearts). -----> (complete article here)

Thoughts?
This post is 100% correct. Many do not understand this idea.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...So, like most truth, it seems that the Truth is between legalism and grace-only. ..

I agree with that. Legalism means person obeys the law, because he has to, not because he wants to and grace-only person doesn’t obey it, because he doesn’t want to and believes he don’t have to do what is right. And Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. Righteous person does what is right freely, because he understands it is good and wants to do what is good and right.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Through the words Jesus declared, person can get the right understanding, be born anew as child of God and be righteous.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

"Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

Law and grace are only part of the whole thing. When one is righteous, he understands that God’s law is good and wants to obey it freely. And according to the Bible, God’s law is fulfilled by this:

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Antinomianism

adjective

FROM Sinclair Ferguson

There is only one genuine cure for legalism. It is the same medicine the gospel prescribes for antinomianism: understanding and tasting union with Jesus Christ Himself. This leads to a new love for and obedience to the law of God, which he now mediates to us in the gospel. This alone breaks the bonds of both legalism (the law is no longer divorced from the person of Christ) and antinomianism (we are not divorced from the law, which now comes to us from the hand of Christ and in the empowerment of the Spirit, who writes it in our hearts). -----> (complete article here)​

Thoughts?
Romans 6 is Paul's argument against "grace only".

Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

Because the Christian is saved by grace does not give license to the Christian to continue in sin, sin being transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4). If one continues in sin he then is serving "sin unto death" Roamns 6:16.

Salvation therefore is a combination of man's obedience to God (keep from serving sin unto death) and God's grace. God's grace is necessary because man's obedience will not be perfect, hence race is needed to bridge the gap sin creates between man and God. Therefore obedience to God's will and grace are not antogonisitc to each other but go hand in hand, two sides of the same coin as you say.

The Bible gives man only two options;
1) condemnation
2) salvation

There is no third option or middle ground. Paul puts these two option forward in Romans 6:16 when he asks...who are you serving? Are you serving sin unto death (condemnation)? Or are you serving obedience unto righteousness (salvation)? Paul makes obedience a necessary part of salvation in that obeying God's will preventing one from serving sin unto death and being lost.

To those who have allowed themselves to follow Luther's 'faith only", who are you serving?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

I agree that the question is not between grace and works. Bible tells clearly that eternal life is promised for righteous as a gift. That is why I think righteousness is the important question.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And if person is righteous, it will come visible in persons actions.

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Upvote 0