Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was born into a military family. That meant constant moving, 14 addresses in 10 years. That also meant changing schools. The first day of a new school, my mother would take me. She'd take me to the office and then go home. What she would not do is go into the classroom. She would not try to explain what the teacher was saying or rebuke me when my attention wandered (which was much of the time). For school hours, I was under the authority of the school.

Paul wrote to the Galatian church because they had been deceived. They were putting themselves under the Law again. Paul had to explain the purpose of the Law to bring them back to faith and grace.

Galatians 3:
…23Before this faith came, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.…

The word translated "guardian" is paidagogos. It includes the idea of a tutor, one who enforces discipline and provides moral guidance. This seems fine, until we realise that we have no power to follow the guidance or receive the discipline. "I did my best" will not be an acceptable plea at the Great White Throne.

To change the analogy somewhat, when I was 16, I joined the Navy. It was a different world. What held true in the civilian world was unacceptable. Everything was provided - uniform, weapon, food, direction, training and discipline. My life ceased to be my own. I could be sent anywhere, any time. The Navy owned me. I was paid for my work. I saw much of the world at no cost to myself. It was both demanding and a blessing. Because I was under 18, the Navy was my legal guardian. My parents no longer had any control of my life.

Christianity is transformational. Through the cross, God takes the old nature out of us and causes us to have new life. We come out of the control of the world system and into God's realm of the Spirit.

No one can serve two masters. Either Jesus is Lord, or we are Lord. We choose to serve Christ in the Spirit or we cling to the security of the Law. If we cling to the law, we will make no progress in Christ and we will not be pleasing to God. Imagine if you are at war and your mother tells you to come home because it's not safe. No, mother, I obey my captain now, whatever the cost. If this applies in worldly things, how much more in the Spirit?

Peter's reaction to his vision typifies those still bound to the Law. God commanded him to eat. Peter was horrified. God told Peter it's different now. (The account is Acts 10, 9-16).

God has not changed but His way of dealing with men has changed. The Law opens our eyes to see our hopeless condition. It leads us to Christ. By rights, it should leave us. It really is a new covenant. The old indeed has passed away.

It takes time to break old habits. For a long time, I was a civilian in military uniform. Outwardly, I looked the same as other Naval personnel. But I thought like a civilian. That began to change until civilian issues barely mattered. God wants to transform us from the inside out also. Don't look to the Law to help. Lord Jesus is Deliverer. The Law accuses us. Christ saves us. That's the difference.

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,716.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was born into a military family. That meant constant moving, 14 addresses in 10 years. That also meant changing schools. The first day of a new school, my mother would take me. She'd take me to the office and then go home. What she would not do is go into the classroom. She would not try to explain what the teacher was saying or rebuke me when my attention wandered (which was much of the time). For school hours, I was under the authority of the school.

Paul wrote to the Galatian church because they had been deceived. They were putting themselves under the Law again. Paul had to explain the purpose of the Law to bring them back to faith and grace.

Galatians 3:
…23Before this faith came, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.…

The word translated "guardian" is paidagogos. It includes the idea of a tutor, one who enforces discipline and provides moral guidance. This seems fine, until we realise that we have no power to follow the guidance or receive the discipline. "I did my best" will not be an acceptable plea at the Great White Throne.

To change the analogy somewhat, when I was 16, I joined the Navy. It was a different world. What held true in the civilian world was unacceptable. Everything was provided - uniform, weapon, food, direction, training and discipline. My life ceased to be my own. I could be sent anywhere, any time. The Navy owned me. I was paid for my work. I saw much of the world at no cost to myself. It was both demanding and a blessing. Because I was under 18, the Navy was my legal guardian. My parents no longer had any control of my life.

Christianity is transformational. Through the cross, God takes the old nature out of us and causes us to have new life. We come out of the control of the world system and into God's realm of the Spirit.

No one can serve two masters. Either Jesus is Lord, or we are Lord. We choose to serve Christ in the Spirit or we cling to the security of the Law. If we cling to the law, we will make no progress in Christ and we will not be pleasing to God. Imagine if you are at war and your mother tells you to come home because it's not safe. No, mother, I obey my captain now, whatever the cost. If this applies in worldly things, how much more in the Spirit?

Peter's reaction to his vision typifies those still bound to the Law. God commanded him to eat. Peter was horrified. God told Peter it's different now. (The account is Acts 10, 9-16).

God has not changed but His way of dealing with men has changed. The Law opens our eyes to see our hopeless condition. It leads us to Christ. By rights, it should leave us. It really is a new covenant. The old indeed has passed away.

It takes time to break old habits. For a long time, I was a civilian in military uniform. Outwardly, I looked the same as other Naval personnel. But I thought like a civilian. That began to change until civilian issues barely mattered. God wants to transform us from the inside out also. Don't look to the Law to help. Lord Jesus is Deliverer. The Law accuses us. Christ saves us. That's the difference.
The difference comes down to having the Holy Spirit or Not, He will teach us into all truth..

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0