The Purge Continues: US Attorney for Manhattan abruptly fired

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
U.S. Attorney Who Investigated Trump Associates Is Abruptly Ousted

His previous accomplishments include securing a guilty plea from Michael Cohen, obtaining indictments against Parnas and Fruman (Rudy Giuliani's Ukrainian associates), and investigating Trump's businesses based on information obtained from Cohen. He was currently engaged in investigations of Giuliani himself, as well as Trump's inauguration committee. He will be replaced, not by his First Assistant, as is standard, but by the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who has never worked in the Manhattan US Attorney's office.

Lest you think that he was a holdover from the Obama administration, it should be pointed out that Berman was appointed to the position in an interim capacity by then-AG Jeff Sessions in 2018. He's a Republican who contributed to Trump's campaign and worked in the same firm as Giuliani.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
7F03B025-B2C8-4C2C-BEEF-D7C3B0F8DB4E.jpeg

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

His previous accomplishments include securing a guilty plea from Michael Cohen, obtaining indictments against Parnas and Fruman (Rudy Giuliani's Ukrainian associates), and investigating Trump's businesses based on information obtained from Cohen. He was currently engaged in investigations of Giuliani himself, as well as Trump's inauguration committee. He will be replaced, not by his First Assistant, as is standard, but by the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who has never worked in the Manhattan US Attorney's office.

Lest you think that he was a holdover from the Obama administration, it should be pointed out that Berman was appointed to the position in an interim capacity by then-AG Jeff Sessions in 2018. He's a Republican who contributed to Trump's campaign and worked in the same firm as Giuliani.

Hi RIMH,

Yet another, of very, very many heads, to roll that didn't go along with the 'my truth is the truth' position of President Trump. Except for killing them, it now seems that our leadership isn't a whole lot different than Soviet Russia, Idi Amin, etc. Anyone not in line with the party 'politik' is 'gotten rid of'. According to President Trump, these are, by his truth, fake Republicans. So, not only has he roiled pretty much the entire Democratic and Independent voter, but he's going after Republicans that aren't on board with his 'truth'.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Except for killing them, it now seems that our leadership isn't a whole lot different than Soviet Russia, Idi Amin, etc. Anyone not in line with the party 'politik' is 'gotten rid of'.
He is enabled by his base, of millions of USA people who are not alarmed at all when Trump does illegal deals with foreign countries to cheat in the next election, stops any testimonies or documents or evidence being given to any oversight committees, fires any and all Inspector Generals that dare investigate him, removes anyone that ever testifies in an investigation on him and now removes any attorney who investigates him.

They turn blind eyes, because they believe they are getting conservative judges and will get Roe vs Wade overturned.
They don't care that it is destroying USA's democracy, they don't care that USA is now a banana republic with no global credibility, they don't care that it is causing a rift against the Liberals and Dems, they don't want middle ground. They just don't care.

They say they are pro-life, but they don't care that Trump is ignoring the Coronavirus pandemic that is killing thousands and thousands and thousands of USA folk, probably will kill more than 200,000 Americans.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi stevil,

You responded:
They turn blind eyes, because they believe they are getting conservative judges and will get Roe vs Wade overturned.
They don't care that it is destroying USA's democracy, they don't care that USA is now a banana republic with no global credibility, they don't care that it is causing a rift against the Liberals and Dems, they don't want middle ground. They just don't care.

I have to agree. I look across our nation at this very moment and I see division, hate and distrust like we likely haven't seen since the days that America put Japanese in housing camps after the attack on Pearl Harbor. However, it's on an even greater scale today because there are so many issues that are being used to divide us as a social group.

I believe that this constant rhetoric from the WH that posits every idea and issue as an 'us vs. them' agenda does nothing but cause greater division and hate and animosity between us as Americans. We are acting almost like we did in the days of slavery. Only instead of it being a racial division, it's a political one.

I'll be drawing SS in another year or so. When I consider that nearly every retired American draws a SS check every month to help them pay the cost of living from day to day, and I consider that the impetus to institute SS was a Democratic initiative, I have to wonder why and how we have gotten into this mindset today that 'Democrat' bad...'Republican' good. I believe that the answer and responsibility for today's attitude regarding party affiliation rests squarely at the door of the Oval Office. We are constantly hearing, from the leader of our nation who is supposed to be working for the betterment and protection of 'all' American citizens, verbiage that continues to repeatedly and regularly troll the nation with this idea that everything that he dislikes or doesn't agree with, even in this case ideas and efforts of one of his own Republicans, are from 'bad Democrats' or, as in this case, a 'fake Republican', who is really a Democrat at heart.

Never, in the relatively short length of our nation's history, have we been so bombarded by our leadership in this 'us vs. them' mentality. This purpose to 'divide and conquer' our nation. Then I look at the results of all this and I see leadership that can't calm an angered populace over race issues. Leadership that doesn't seem to be willing to listen to anyone with more knowledge than the single man sitting behind the desk seems to think that he has about everything. Our economy is headed to the crapper; our citizens are involved in fisticuffs out in the streets, and our leader just continues to fan this flame of hatred and division among us.

I can honestly say that in my 65 years of living, I have never seen our nation to be so divided and hate filled and distrustful of one another. Whose fault is that? I posit that it is the fault of national leadership when the problem is a national problem.

Just my 2 cents worth, of course.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is enabled by his base, of millions of USA people who are not alarmed at all when Trump does illegal deals with foreign countries to cheat in the next election, stops any testimonies or documents or evidence being given to any oversight committees, fires any and all Inspector Generals that dare investigate him, removes anyone that ever testifies in an investigation on him and now removes any attorney who investigates him.

They say they are pro-life, but they don't care that Trump is ignoring the Coronavirus pandemic that is killing thousands and thousands and thousands of USA folk, probably will kill more than 200,000 Americans.
We can't blame just some evangelical Christians for Trump. Many Republicans voted for him, some of them have buyer's remorse. I have held my nose and watched interviews with some of his supporters waiting in rally lines in 2016. Believe me they were not all Christians, not even close.
I have watched interviews that CNN did with groups of 2016 voters and what they have said and they were decent people but not all Christians.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi RIMH,

Yet another, of very, very many heads, to roll that didn't go along with the 'my truth is the truth' position of President Trump. Except for killing them, it now seems that our leadership isn't a whole lot different than Soviet Russia, Idi Amin, etc. Anyone not in line with the party 'politik' is 'gotten rid of'. According to President Trump, these are, by his truth, fake Republicans. So, not only has he roiled pretty much the entire Democratic and Independent voter, but he's going after Republicans that aren't on board with his 'truth'.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
A fake life-long Republican like this guy.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

How does being appointed by Trump's administration or donating to Trump absolve him from the obvious bias? He ruled against Trump, ergo, he is biased against Trump. #Trumpianlogic

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... or maybe not.

edit: or is trump just saying he did what Barr wanted?

Hi trunks,

What a circus! This is just a too perfect example of exactly why this administration is such a failure and a shambles. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing, apparently. President Trump is on record now that he has nothing to do with this debacle between the U.S. Attorney in New York and the U.S. Attorney General in Washington. However, Barr is also on record that the President did order that Berman be removed. Somebody isn't being honest here.

I'm sure we're going to shortly get one or the other of the two to start goose stepping backwards. Which, sadly, has become the norma ad infinitum at this point in the current administration. Somebody says something. Somebody else says it ain't so. Somebody begins working on some spin to unpack their statement to have really been in agreement with whoever the strongest player is.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi trunks,

What a circus! This is just a too perfect example of exactly why this administration is such a failure and a shambles. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing, apparently. President Trump is on record now that he has nothing to do with this debacle between the U.S. Attorney in New York and the U.S. Attorney General in Washington. However, Barr is also on record that the President did order that Berman be removed. Somebody isn't being honest here.

I'm sure we're going to shortly get one or the other of the two to start goose stepping backwards. Which, sadly, has become the norma ad infinitum at this point in the current administration. Somebody says something. Somebody else says it ain't so. Somebody begins working on some spin to unpack their statement to have really been in agreement with whoever the strongest player is.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
It's the opposite of two criminals each taking credit for the same crime...who do you charge with the crime?

Same in this case, who do you blame?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Ah ah ah! Is Barr calling Trump a liar?!

President Donald Trump on Saturday denied involvement in firing Geoffrey Berman, the powerful prosecutor atop the Manhattan US Attorney's office, shortly after Trump's attorney general sent Berman a letter saying the President had done so.

Attorney General William Barr told Berman, whose office has led prosecutions and investigations of Trump's allies, that Trump had agreed to remove him after he refused Barr's effort a day prior to oust him.

"Unfortunately, with your statement of last night, you have chosen public spectacle over public service," Barr wrote in his letter to Berman. "Because you have declared that you have no intention of resigning, I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so."

Speaking to reporters shortly after Barr's letter was made public, however, Trump said, "That's his department, not my department." He added: "I'm not involved."

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Berman has officially stepped down now that Barr has confirmed that his First Assistant will be the interim US Attorney. It's still expected that Jay Clayton, the head of the SEC, will be nominated as his successor. Clayton has zero prosecutorial experience, having previously worked as a corporate lawyer before taking the helm at the SEC.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0