Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Psalms 77:6 I remember my song in the night; I commune with my own heart
and my spirit made diligent search.

When Asaph speaks of his song, he is not talking about his favorite tune. The word
negenah refers to music played to enter into the prophetic spirit. Asaph was chosen
by David to minister in this capacity.

1 Chronicles 25:1 Moreover David and the captains of the host separated to the service
of the sons of Asaph and Heman and of Jeduthun who should prophesy with harps, with psalteries and with cymbals.

Negenah, a prophetic song, comes from the word nagan, which refers to playing
an instrument in tune with the spirit.

1 Samuel 16:23. And it came to pass when the spirit from God was upon Saul that
David took a harp and played (nagan) with his hand so that Saul was refreshed and
was well and the evil spirit departed from him.

Asaph uses two word pairs to bring forth his prophetic word in this psalm:
zakar-to remember and seyach- to commune or meditate, which means here
“talk through your situation” in an inner dialog. Seyach is translated differently
each time used.

Psalms 77:3 I remembered God and was troubled, I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.
Here seyach is translated complained in the KJV, other translations use moan and groan,
when commune or meditate on God is all that is expressed. He is troubled, and the
translation interprets his inner dialog rather than translate the word and allow the following verses to describe his deliberations. Again, the same word was translated commune
in verse 6, used as the main text for this discussion. He then asks a series of questions
to God to express his anguish before drawing his conclusions.

Psalms 77:
10 And I said this is my infirmity, but I will remember the years of the right hand
of the most high.
11 I will remember the works of the Lord, surely I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will meditate also of all your work and talk of your doings.

In verse 12 we find the third occurrence of the word seyach, this time translated talk
in the KJV, meditate in most other versions. When he says “I will remember” in verse 11, zakar is used twice and should read, “I will remember to remember”. Here he expresses
the all too common human reaction to trials to forget God’s faithfulness and “stress out”.
He then concludes:

Psalms 77:13 Your way O God is in the sanctuary (our place of prayer or seyach)
who is so great a God as our God?

He then finishes the Psalm with a memorial to the Lord’s might. So how does prophetic
psalms pertain to us in the church today? What if we don’t play an instrument? Is this
strictly the gift of the musicians and worship leaders? On the contrary, the Holy Spirit
within you is able to provide the same “song in the night” to anyone seeking God.
Paul describes this gift.

1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also, I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also.
26 How is it then brethren? When you come together, every one of you has a psalm has
a doctrine has a tongue has a revelation has an interpretation.
Let all things be done unto edification.

If a congregation’s worship team is allowed to flow in improvisational prophetic worship,
it is easy in this setting to sing in the spirit and be edified. But what about when you are
alone in your prayer closet? Do you pray in the spirit and sing in the spirit? You don’t need
an instrument, just allow the spirit to move in you the way worship in church moves your spirit, and you will commune with the Lord in the night, and your spirit can make a diligent search. For the way of the Lord is in the sanctuary.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace
in your hearts to the Lord.

Reactions: John Mullally

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The singers unto the LORD should praise the beauty of holiness, for they go out before the army, saying, Praise the LORD; for His mercy endures for ever.
Psalms 118:
Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.
2 Let Israel now say,
His mercy endures forever.
3 Let the house of Aaron now say,
His mercy endures forever.
4 Let those who fear the Lord now say,
His mercy endures forever. [alternate translation: His steadfast Love is Eternal]

Upvote 0