Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last fall, when I took my daughter to her college orientation, all new students had been issued ID lanyards, to which they were invited to affix pronoun stickers. To opt out would be conspicuous—and based on my observation, no one did. A week later, I too was subjected to the same demand. The new director of my community choral group had just returned from a workshop on “diversity and inclusion,” and she insisted that I and nine other middle-aged women in the group introduce ourselves around the circle with our “names and pronouns.” The point was obviously not that anyone needed any pronoun clarification. The point was to say the words.

And so the pronouns creep in, just a tiny word here, a little checkbox there. Our nation’s first female vice president has elevated the practice to unofficial national policy. At a public meeting at the White House on July 26, 2022, she announced: “I am Kamala Harris, my pronouns are she and her, and I am a woman sitting at the table wearing a blue suit.” It is difficult to see why I should not go along. Stating my pronouns doesn’t seem to conflict with living in truth—unlike, say, a girl’s suddenly wanting me to call her “him” or “them” or “zim.” What is wrong, for normies like me, with stating the obvious?

I have no problem declaring my proper name; in fact, I have long been a huge fan of nametags. Maybe because my name is unfamiliar to many people, I’m sensitive to the potential difficulties and embarrassments of communicating it to a new acquaintance, and eager for interventions that make this task easier. Nametags and verbal self-introductions are useful because proper names do not reveal themselves in any other way. You could not possibly know my name just by looking at me. My name is unique to me, and at the same time, entirely contingent—that is to say, my name could be anything else, and it would still be my name.

Continued below.
The Pronoun Ritual | Samira Kawash

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is difficult to see why I should not go along. Stating my pronouns doesn’t seem to conflict with living in truth—unlike, say, a girl’s suddenly wanting me to call her “him” or “them” or “zim.” What is wrong, for normies like me, with stating the obvious?

Hahaha. 'Normies'. I think the use of that term reveals something: not that there's a conspiracy afoot (so I hope this isn't taken as an "OH NO, THE GAYS AND THE TRANS ARE OUT TO DESTROY CIVILIZATION!" thing when that's not my point), but it seems like the idea of something being 'normal' in the sense of being most commonly observed in a given population or context has become a big problem in many segments of society in recent decades. All of this 'gender is a spectrum' and similar ideas seem to obscure the fact that for the vast majority of people, that still is not the case. I know it can seem otherwise if you're terminally online and stuck in a world of think pieces and Twitter outrages, but it bears remembering that most people are still 'she's or 'he's, no matter if they declare it or not.

Upvote 0