catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastor believes some do. I notice in many mature Lutherans, they simply don't talk about their sins in the same way other Christians do. That kind of pietism simply does

I think its alien because some Christians make a big deal about testimonials and are proud of their ability to label sin as sin, even in themselves. That all goes back to deeper issues like a need to be in control, and ties back to what I was saying about people like Jordan Peterson marketing Christian symbolism as "self-help". As Bonhoeffer wrote, when Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die- when a person is dead, there is simply no room for inwardness or self-consciousness like this. Christianity is not about "building a better you", one piece or step at a time, or merely about getting in touch with spiritual feelings. It's more profound than that. As Luther said, it's about daily drowning our old self and being born anew.

Being as how we are dead and yet made alive in Christ, its fitting we should be able to move forward and serve our neighbor self-sacrificially, not holding anything back, and wanting to get beyond our comfort zones to serve our neighbors. But many, many Christians don't see it that way.

ah. It's so much easier to talk to my neighbor (who I don't even know if they will like me....)....if I have honestly confessed just recently, because....I'm down on the ground so to speak (we have different language styles but maybe this might communicate?). I'm more safe, in my own heart, because I've really confessed to God, and been humbled. Then I no longer am so worried if my neighbor will like me, because...it's like I've had a close brush with death, sort of. Trying to find words to communicate it. But basically, it's like your last paragraph if I understand you. ah!! -- I "was dead, and now am alive"! (there, the prodigal story (the end of it) comes in right here, in the real way).

Upvote 0