Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a thread concerning only those who are saved. So keep this in mind while reading my intellectual offering.

Someone indicated in their testimony today that they believed they were a lesser Christian due to their status as a prodigal son. In specific they said:

But there is a cost [in returning to Christ after playing the prodigal son]. Once the party ended, it was revealed in my heart that everything now belongs to my beloved brother. I am a son of my Father, but a servant to my brother.

Link - good read.

I would like, however, to respond to the mindset of being lesser in the Kingdom for being the prodigal son.

Perhaps it is that we misunderstand the story of the prodigal son sometimes.

Not that prodigals are misunderstanding their roles as an illustration of the modern day prodigal son, but rather, that maybe something was overlooked about what the elder brother portion of the story is concerning.

First I'd like to point out our inheritance is eternal life, and that's across the board. It doesn't matter in the Kingdom of God whether your the elder son or the red-headed step child. We all gain eternal life through His Grace.

Also, all those who are brothers and sisters in Christ are sent to serve.. we all follow in Christs footsteps. So being a servant isn't a punishment, but a joy and it applies just as equally to the elder children as it does to prodigal children.

Beliefs then, of a saved child of God, prodigal or not, being lesser than someone who is not a prodigal is a bit misguided in my honest opinion. Let's examine scripture a second:

There are three stories all in a row in the same sitting in Luke 15:2-32 : the first of a lost sheep, then a lost coin, then a lost son. But the lead-up and finale is just as important as what is inbetween.

Jesus told these three parables in response to the Pharisees sitting around complaining about Jesus eating with sinners and so forth. He wanted everyone to understand firstly about Jesus's love for the lost of Israel, but further, he wanted to tell the Pharisees something about themselves.

After hearing the first two parables we come to the prodigal and see the rejoicing that took place over his return. But then you see, as the story draws to a close, the elder brother first in the field at a distance, who heard the celebration and came to see what was going on.

Then the elder brother got mad when he heard of the younger brothers return and subsequent celebration. The Father left the banquet being held for the younger son, and went to look for the elder. (Remind you of the lost sheep?) Then kindly, and patiently reminded the elder how loved he was, and that he still had his inheritance too, "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours"

Why would he need reminded do you think, that his inheritance was safe?

Perhaps because he, even though he never left home, was just as lost and just as in need of being found - maybe more so, because he didn't even recognize his lost state and need of being found.

This story, is just as profound for those who never left "home", as for those who went a partying.. those who went partying might remind our older brothers of what they didn't do, but it should never make them think they arent lost too. They are close to home, but sometimes off in the field somewhere instead of in the banquet hall, because they aren't even recognising the fact of their state..

In the end, we were ALL lost sinners who were in need of salvation, and at no point can we sit on our laurels and say we are the perfect child or we were always here so we can't have gotten lost. It got those Pharisees no where.

We are all sinners who have fallen short of the glory of God and all in need of Christ and guidance whether we are the elder brother or the prodigal son at the banquet.

And the prodigal? He isn't lesser in God's economy. There is just far more humility of heart, perhaps.

Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I like your explanation. I might add more to it with a note from my Study Bible:
15:29 I never transgressed your commandments at anytime: The failure of the older son to recognize his own sins leads to his self-righteousness and merciless attitude. Contrast this with the contrition of the younger son. "The one who seems to himself to be righteous, who does not see the beam in his own eye, becomes angry when forgiveness is granted to one who confesses his sins and begs for mercy" (Ambrose of Milan). The older son's ingratitude is apparent in his charge "you never gave me a young goat" to his father, who has given him all he has.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like your explanation. I might add more to it with a note from my Study Bible:
15:29 I never transgressed your commandments at anytime: The failure of the older son to recognize his own sins leads to his self-righteousness and merciless attitude. Contrast this with the contrition of the younger son. "The one who seems to himself to be righteous, who does not see the beam in his own eye, becomes angry when forgiveness is granted to one who confesses his sins and begs for mercy" (Ambrose of Milan). The older son's ingratitude is apparent in his charge "you never gave me a young goat" to his father, who has given him all he has.
I suggest you read the essay THE RIVER OF FIRE by Alendre Kalomiros.

He has an interesting take on the Elder Son towards the end of this.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suggest you read the essay THE RIVER OF FIRE by Alendre Kalomiros.

He has an interesting take on the Elder Son towards the end of this.

Awesome I'll look that up!

Great addition! Thank you for that informative addition!

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good post.

The truth is that, as you pointed out, we are all called to such a place. It was only because of my insolence that I was brought low. But God in His mercy chose to sow in corruption that incorruption might be raised in me. His life is now my life, and His hope my hope, and His will my will, His treasure my treasure.

I am crucified to all things not related to holiness and harvesting souls. I lay my life down for my brother. I am my brother's keeper, and because I was forgiven much, I love much. There is nothing more holy than to disregard oneself to the lifting up of many, just as there is nothing more wicked than to love oneself to the destruction of many.

I myself am not content to merely get into heaven. I want to lay hold on the sheep and take as many people with me to heaven as possible. At the cost of my very life. This is perfect love ... to lay one's life down for his friends. I want to feed the sheep even if it costs me my very life's blood. I want to scream I LOVE YOU to Jesus. I feed the sheep and I give of myself.

Without both love and a willingness to pay the cost, one can neither begin nor finish a "work" for God. John 3:16 John 4:34

I glory in none of this. It's by grace through faith. It's for all of us.

Jesus was called the suffering servant, and when you are given the best robe...complete sanctification...there is an immediate understanding that when it comes to Jesus, not only is there no other place to go, there is no other way to be.

That is what I mean when I say I am a servant. A servant has nothing for himself but lives only to please his master. And if we love Him we must feed the sheep. And it must come at the cost of everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's good you focus on the elder brother. In our romantic attitude towards dramatic conversion stories and a long history of Christian celebration of penitence, we often overlook this. But the situation for the elder son is actually more dire. His resentment actually forces him to stand outside and miss the party altogether.

And I believe this was the message Jesus wanted many of the religious authorities in his day to hear, it was a warning to them. He was ministering to the lost sheep, but instead of celebrating it, they resented him.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe the prodigal son needs to leave the party himself and go lay hold on his precious brother.

Too many people sit with their butts seated firmly in a pew edifying themselves and feeding themselves to ever for once hear the death rattle of those around them. They love themselves to the destruction of many. Just trying to make it to heaven is garbage Christianity. We must follow Jesus to the cross and sacrifice everything we are and everything we have so that by the blood of Jesus and our testimony, other's might live. This must be our singular passion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,647.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Context, context, context, context.
As you said: Jesus is really addressing the Pharisees who were ask a question.
Jesus in His wonderful style will throw the question back on them, but not before leading them down the prim rose path. They would be saying "Amen" to the first two parables, but the prodigal son story is really directed at them personally. You see they are the older son so the question is left unanswered and for them to answer. You (Pharisee) fill in the ending, "will the older son (you) obey the father and join the party or refuse to join the party"? This is so typical of Jesus making it sound so intellectual to begin with and getting down to the here and right now in the end.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe the prodigal son needs to leave the party himself and go lay hold on his precious brother..

Most of the elder brothers out there are too proud to listen to prodigals. The "elder brothers" of Jesus day handed him over to pagans to be put to death, after all.

Your typical "elder brother" is a religious person who has a great deal of resentment. They are so certain they are right, why would they need to listen to somebody that hasn't "payed their dues" and isn't a member of their holy club?

Upvote 0

HolyTheophany

Oct 30, 2018
Elbert
✟8,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is a thread concerning only those who are saved. So keep this in mind while reading my intellectual offering.

Someone indicated in their testimony today that they believed they were a lesser Christian due to their status as a prodigal son. In specific they said:

Link - good read.

I would like, however, to respond to the mindset of being lesser in the Kingdom for being the prodigal son.

Perhaps it is that we misunderstand the story of the prodigal son sometimes.

Not that prodigals are misunderstanding their roles as an illustration of the modern day prodigal son, but rather, that maybe something was overlooked about what the elder brother portion of the story is concerning.

First I'd like to point out our inheritance is eternal life, and that's across the board. It doesn't matter in the Kingdom of God whether your the elder son or the red-headed step child. We all gain eternal life through His Grace.

Also, all those who are brothers and sisters in Christ are sent to serve.. we all follow in Christs footsteps. So being a servant isn't a punishment, but a joy and it applies just as equally to the elder children as it does to prodigal children.

Beliefs then, of a saved child of God, prodigal or not, being lesser than someone who is not a prodigal is a bit misguided in my honest opinion. Let's examine scripture a second:

There are three stories all in a row in the same sitting in Luke 15:2-32 : the first of a lost sheep, then a lost coin, then a lost son. But the lead-up and finale is just as important as what is inbetween.

Jesus told these three parables in response to the Pharisees sitting around complaining about Jesus eating with sinners and so forth. He wanted everyone to understand firstly about Jesus's love for the lost of Israel, but further, he wanted to tell the Pharisees something about themselves.

After hearing the first two parables we come to the prodigal and see the rejoicing that took place over his return. But then you see, as the story draws to a close, the elder brother first in the field at a distance, who heard the celebration and came to see what was going on.

Then the elder brother got mad when he heard of the younger brothers return and subsequent celebration. The Father left the banquet being held for the younger son, and went to look for the elder. (Remind you of the lost sheep?) Then kindly, and patiently reminded the elder how loved he was, and that he still had his inheritance too, "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours"

Why would he need reminded do you think, that his inheritance was safe?

Perhaps because he, even though he never left home, was just as lost and just as in need of being found - maybe more so, because he didn't even recognize his lost state and need of being found.

This story, is just as profound for those who never left "home", as for those who went a partying.. those who went partying might remind our older brothers of what they didn't do, but it should never make them think they arent lost too. They are close to home, but sometimes off in the field somewhere instead of in the banquet hall, because they aren't even recognising the fact of their state..

In the end, we were ALL lost sinners who were in need of salvation, and at no point can we sit on our laurels and say we are the perfect child or we were always here so we can't have gotten lost. It got those Pharisees no where.

We are all sinners who have fallen short of the glory of God and all in need of Christ and guidance whether we are the elder brother or the prodigal son at the banquet.

And the prodigal? He isn't lesser in God's economy. There is just far more humility of heart, perhaps.

Feel free to discuss.
How can a God who is Himself Love, and who is no respector of persons, be partial with respect to His love towards us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums