Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After hearing people blame the Afghan refuge situation on Trump, I figured I would post a few links on some stories of some issues I learned on some of the problems in taking them in (besides the usual security concerns).

I would say, this is actually more of a problem because the way we ended up doing the withdrawal, the people who actually had background checks were largely left behind, while the people we did take were folks who were hanging around the Airport hoping to catch a flight out and were largely unvetted (Yet another thing that Trump or nearly anybody else would have done differently).
Afghan Refugees: Most Not Vetted | National Review

1) Child Brides is the big issue being researched now with the new refugees.

Growing fears child brides brought to US in Afghan evacuation

2) The Popularity of Sharia Law (Which is not really compatible with Western Society).

PolitiFact - Trump mostly correct about Sharia law support in Afghanistan

99% Afghanis prefer making Sharia the law of the land: Pre-Taliban survey by Pew Research shows

3) Child Abuse prevalent in culture especially concerning young boys. This was something I learned 13 years ago to my horror with the movie "The Kite Runner".

U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies (Published 2015)

Last edited:

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that "the problem with Afghan refugees" is actually a problem with Americans.

We have become a xenophobic nation. If France were to donate a statue for us to place in New York Harbor today, it would be a big brass sign saying "KEEP OUT!"

How many of our ancestors came here to escape famine, religious persecution, war, and worse? Although the potato famine had ended when my ancestors came to the U.S., they fled because of:
  • politics, because many Irish migrants supported the idea of Home Rule (Ireland should have its own government)
  • pay, because many English workers felt that the Irish were undercutting their wages by accepting lower pay
  • religion, because most Irish immigrants were Catholic, while most English and Scottish were Protestant.
Because I have been on mission trips in Guatemala, I know full well why Central Americans are seeking a better life. I have not been to Afghanistan, but it is hard not to be touched with compassion at their plight. (Well, it's not hard for me, although it obviously seems to be hard for other Americans.)

So the problem is ours--not the refugees' or the Central Americans.' We are the poor ones. We have a deficit of compassion. A deficit of human kindness. We are morally bankrupt.

We have the problem and I pray that more of us manage to open our hearts to these refugees.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have become a xenophobic nation. If France were to donate a statue for us to place in New York Harbor today, it would be a big brass sign saying "KEEP OUT!"

You act as if their is never a good reason for that! There is an enormous difference between immigrants that want to be assimilated and have a positive view of the culture of their host country vs. ones who do not.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that "the problem with Afghan refugees" is actually a problem with Americans.

How many of our ancestors came here to escape famine, religious persecution, war, and worse? Although the potato famine had ended when my ancestors came to the U.S., they fled because of:
  • politics, because many Irish migrants supported the idea of Home Rule (Ireland should have its own government)
  • pay, because many English workers felt that the Irish were undercutting their wages by accepting lower pay
  • religion, because most Irish immigrants were Catholic, while most English and Scottish were Protestant.
Because I have been on mission trips in Guatemala, I know full well why Central Americans are seeking a better life. I have not been to Afghanistan, but it is hard not to be touched with compassion at their plight. (Well, it's not hard for me, although it obviously seems to be hard for other Americans.)

So the problem is ours--not the refugees' or the Central Americans.' We are the poor ones. We have a deficit of compassion. A deficit of human kindness. We are morally bankrupt.

We have the problem and I pray that more of us manage to open our hearts to these refugees.
There are Afghans I would be proud to host, and probably some Afghans that I wouldn't want here. Unfortunately, none of the above points mitigate or even address the issues with the Afghans that I wouldn't want here. I'd like to believe that we will continue to vet the people we evacuated out of the country who were not sufficiently vetted, and turn away any criminals or Islamists that might have slipped though. Yes, just because someone's interpretation of Islam isn't as oppressive as the Taliban's doesn't mean they love or respect freedom. The Taliban standard of freedom and tolerance isn't a very high one; it is very possible to insist on Sharia law and still be against them, and to be in mortal danger from them for it. I'm not sure the Biden administration is interested in weeding these people out, though.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's inconceivable to me that people actually blame Trump for how botched Afghanistan is.
Yes. Mr Trump was not involved 20 years ago. He inherited the mess, not created it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
After hearing people blame the Afghan refuge situation on Trump, I figured I would post a few links on some stories of some issues I learned on some of the problems in taking them in (besides the usual security concerns).

I would say, this is actually more of a problem because the way we ended up doing the withdrawal, the people who actually had background checks were largely left behind, while the people we did take were folks who were hanging around the Airport hoping to catch a flight out and were largely unvetted (Yet another thing that Trump or nearly anybody else would have done differently).
Afghan Refugees: Most Not Vetted | National Review

1) Child Brides is the big issue being researched now with the new refugees.

Growing fears child brides brought to US in Afghan evacuation

2) The Popularity of Sharia Law (Which is not really compatible with Western Society).

PolitiFact - Trump mostly correct about Sharia law support in Afghanistan

99% Afghanis prefer making Sharia the law of the land: Pre-Taliban survey by Pew Research shows

3) Child Abuse prevalent in culture especially concerning young boys. This was something I learned 13 years ago to my horror with the movie "The Kite Runner".

U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies (Published 2015)

I'm against all Muslim migration to the Western world. There is only one reason for Muslim migration, and that is to undermine the West. Islam is the enemy of whatever is not Muslim. While they are a small minority in a country, Muslims generally are not a problem. When their relative population increases, so do the problems. European nations are discovering this. New Zealand likewise. Australia spends a fortune monitoring "extremists" (i.e. normal Muslims) who are a constant threat.

World war 3 has been underway since the 1970's. It's Islam against non-Muslim nations. We are losing.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

These people want to come to the same America you seem to hate. In the past few weeks I have had the opportunity to work with people from Togo, Nigeria, a different person from Togo, Jamaica, and Vietnam. None of them hating America or Americans. None of them with an anti-American chip on their shoulders. Because Americans are not the ogres you think we are. Oh, and you are far from being the only one who has ever had a 'cross-cultural experience'. Some of us have been on more than just a brief mission trip.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm against all Muslim migration to the Western world. There is only one reason for Muslim migration, and that is to undermine the West. Islam is the enemy of whatever is not Muslim. While they are a small minority in a country, Muslims generally are not a problem. When their relative population increases, so do the problems. European nations are discovering this. New Zealand likewise. Australia spends a fortune monitoring "extremists" (i.e. normal Muslims) who are a constant threat.

World war 3 has been underway since the 1970's. It's Islam against non-Muslim nations. We are losing.

I'm have similar sympathies. I believe we owe a debt to the people who helped us out in that war, if they are vetted and they understand that their right to freedom of religion is the same as everybody else (They have freedom of religion, but not Islamize us).

I am however aware that history of Islam is not favorable to such things. While certain countries like Germany have had great luck with some immigrants like the Turks and Iranians for decades (people who were very enthusiastic and often very nominal in their Faith) this is probably the exception than the rule. In general, Muslims as a minority tend to get quite pushy when they are 10% of the populace wanting to make no go zones etc. and when they reach 51% they want to begin making various laws Sharia compliant, and start taxing the Dhimmi.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You act as if their is never a good reason for that! There is an enormous difference between immigrants that want to be assimilated and have a positive view of the culture of their host country vs. ones who do not.
I think January 6th has shown us that some of the people we'd rather keep out are already here. Sigh.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think January 6th has shown us that some of the people we'd rather keep out are already here. Sigh.

Your talking about Antifa right? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are Afghans I would be proud to host, and probably some Afghans that I wouldn't want here. Unfortunately, none of the above points mitigate or even address the issues with the Afghans that I wouldn't want here. I'd like to believe that we will continue to vet the people we evacuated out of the country who were not sufficiently vetted, and turn away any criminals or Islamists that might have slipped though. Yes, just because someone's interpretation of Islam isn't as oppressive as the Taliban's doesn't mean they love or respect freedom. The Taliban standard of freedom and tolerance isn't a very high one; it is very possible to insist on Sharia law and still be against them, and to be in mortal danger from them for it. I'm not sure the Biden administration is interested in weeding these people out, though.

Honesty, I agree with you but what are we left with? This administration isn't giving us choices here.

If they come met with the love of Christ they have a better chance of assimilating than if they are met with fear. They are here, I guess it's time to be Christian. If they attack us, we fight the attacker's and bring them to justice, if they don't, then they don't.

• Agree
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are all faced with dangers every day.

The unvaccinated.
The anti-maskers.
Just to name two.

The Muslim community in my town are warm and welcoming and are good neighbors.

People with SV1 visas are well vetted. People who don't have SV1 visas are going through an evaluation process in intermediate locations.

You seem to think Biden is letting dangerous people loose in your town.

Let us recall the story of Hagar and Ishmael. Abraham sent them out into the desert as refugees, but God protected them and promised them that Ishmael would be the father of a great nation.

Can we not look beyond ourselves here?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You have to consider that after 20 years of trying to change attitudes, we failed.
The reason we pulled out of the country is that we realised, we failed.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People with SV1 visas are well vetted. People who don't have SV1 visas are going through an evaluation process in intermediate locations.

You seem to think Biden is letting dangerous people loose in your town.

download (1).jpeg

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

lol yeah I was going to post a number of things in response to that post such as:

1) A reminder of how much stuff Biden has screwed up on managing Afghanistan.

2) Something about Sanctuary cities and how they have actually resisted deporting dangerous migrants with multiple arrest warrants and done so knowing at times because of ultra liberal politicians and judges.

3) I would also liken things to how the standards were changed with signature verification in the last election compared to what was normally true. That itself I think largely got Biden elected! But the government is happy to throw out quality control when it fits there agenda.

But the vetting process is an 18 step process that normally takes 2 years with the regular bureaucratic hurdles, it can be significantly less with more staffing budgeted for it. Does anybody not see short cuts likewise being done with this also? If you look at how Biden managed the border his policies were basically to open them up ditching the remain in Mexico vetting, and open up the flood gates to the point of Democratic mayors of border towns begged him for his help. Eventually he was forced to go back to some kind of "remain in Mexico" policy, as well as "caging kids" this time rationalized as "responsible Covid" policy. But his main way of dealing with that debacle was to keep reporters from the Border, change the topic etc. and since the press was largely friendly towards him that mostly worked.

And I forgot he has been happy to secretly fly and bus illegals around the country dropping them off in Red states especially. Because after all, we need to turn those Red states blue, so you got to plant the Dreamer seeds early.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lol yeah I was going to post a number of things in response to that post such as:

1) A reminder of how much stuff Biden has screwed up on managing Afghanistan.

2) Something about Sanctuary cities and how they have actually resisted deporting dangerous migrants with multiple arrest warrants and done so knowing at times because of ultra liberal politicians and judges.

3) I would also liken things to how the standards were changed with signature verification in the last election compared to what was normally true. That itself I think largely got Biden elected! But the government is happy to throw out quality control when it fits there agenda.

But the vetting process is an 18 step process that normally takes 2 years with the regular bureaucratic hurdles, it can be significantly less with more staffing budgeted for it. Does anybody not see short cuts likewise being done with this also? If you look at how Biden managed the border his policies were basically to open them up ditching the remain in Mexico vetting, and open up the flood gates to the point of Democratic mayors of border towns begged him for his help. Eventually he was forced to go back to some kind of "remain in Mexico" policy, as well as "caging kids" this time rationalized as "responsible Covid" policy. But his main way of dealing with that debacle was to keep reporters from the Border, change the topic etc. and since the press was largely friendly towards him that mostly worked.

And I forgot he has been happy to secretly fly and bus illegals around the country dropping them off in Red states especially. Because after all, we need to turn those Red states blue, so you got to plant the Dreamer seeds early.

Yep... but my quote says all that very succinctly.. ^_^ haha..

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The frosting on the cake is the defund the police movement with the DAs approving the releasing of violent criminals back into society in the summer of 2020, using the reasoning that many prison officials feared the spread of the virus among the jailed population. Months later, city officials were questioning the rise of violent crime in major cities. These city government officials questioning the rise in crime, were the same ones approving the release of violent criminals on early release a year ago this summer.

So why worry about criminals crossing the southern border, when a government policy is in place allowing early release of criminals back into society to terrorize voters?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think we are all in the midst of seeing the sad results of what happens when dishonest, untrustworthy media and some dishonest, untrustworthy election officials keep telling us how untrustworthy government is.

We really need to evaluate the messengers before coming to a decision about government.

Do I think right-wing news outlets are a reliable source? No. Do I think that sore-loser politicians are reliable sources? No.

If people or media who pass the "trustworthy" test told me not to trust government, I would think about it.

Upvote 0