jamescraig

Nov 3, 2010
✟15,114.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I want to share with all those who are victim of such long path files
Long path files are those files which have a path having charcters more than the limit allowed by windows,ie approx 200
Whenever we want to change,delete,move,cut,omit,share or install such file windows give error like file is copy write protected,it is used by some other application or user,is blocked etc
First way is to change file name but it dont work
Second way is to delete such file by holding shift but it also dont work
Third way is to use a tool which embeds into core and resolves such long path,there are many tools available both freeware and shareware,here are some with their destination websites:
1.First of all is robocopy which is a tool given by microsoft for copying and xcopying files using command line interface,this robust tool boostes copy procedure but is leaste effective for long path files,i will rate it 1 star
2.Second one is pathlongtool available at pathlong.com,it is rated 2 star because it has limited functionality in case of mapping and changing such files
3.Third one is Long path support Api,this is a complex tool for advanced users having complex accessibilities,i will rate it as 2 star,it is avilable at file32.com
4.Fourth tool is [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ip file gear,it is a file copy gearer which cannot map and delete long path files but is extremely useful in gearing copying of such files,rated as 3 star.It is available at file32.com
5.The most effective and efficient is longpathtool availabe at longpathtool.com ,it is a small,smart and quick to use software which can be easily downloaded from its site,it has optimum functionality and it can change,search,map from network,omit,copy,install and delete such long path file effectively being rated as 5 star

FelixKey

Feb 29, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found a solution for this problem and using for some time. That is Long Path Tool which can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename. You may have problems accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters, Long Path Tool will answer the problems which can handle pathnames up to the internal limit of 32,000 characters! To use the program all you need to do is to download this program online and save all the settings to your computer. This program is compatible with Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7. So do not wait get your problem solved from longpathtool website.

Upvote 0

raisanelly

Dec 16, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to share with all those who are victim of such long path files
Long path files are those files which have a path having charcters more than the limit allowed by windows,ie approx 200
Whenever we want to change,delete,move,cut,omit,share or install such file windows give error like file is copy write protected,it is used by some other application or user,is blocked etc
First way is to change file name but it dont work
Second way is to delete such file by holding shift but it also dont work
Third way is to use a tool which embeds into core and resolves such long path,there are many tools available both freeware and shareware,here are some with their destination websites:
1.First of all is robocopy which is a tool given by microsoft for copying and xcopying files using command line interface,this robust tool boostes copy procedure but is leaste effective for long path files,i will rate it 1 star
2.Second one is pathlongtool available at pathlong.com,it is rated 2 star because it has limited functionality in case of mapping and changing such files
3.Third one is Long path support Api,this is a complex tool for advanced users having complex accessibilities,i will rate it as 2 star,it is avilable at file32.com
4.Fourth tool is [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ip file gear,it is a file copy gearer which cannot map and delete long path files but is extremely useful in gearing copying of such files,rated as 3 star.It is available at file32.com
5.The most effective and efficient is longpathtool availabe at longpathtool.com ,it is a small,smart and quick to use software which can be easily downloaded from its site,it has optimum functionality and it can change,search,map from network,omit,copy,install and delete such long path file effectively being rated as 5 star

"Long Path Tool" can help you to solve this problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LOL

I came across this by accident
and, it sounds so much like somebody is trying to SELL
some software called Long Path Tool
So many attestations to it's effectiveness
Mind you, I am biased, due to my never having 'suffered' such problems
Surely, it is only logical to store files via a 'tree structure'
ie: Using Hierarchical Named Folders, my files are never more than 5 layers deep

Desktop/My Pictures/Photos/EXsdcard#[foldername]/PhotosCLASS/Photoname
Desktop/My Documents/Respondent name[foldername]/DocumentSubject/Documentname+date

All modern computers can cope with such storage and retrieval
A big box of, 'named folders' (to indicate content) is not a problem

I can conceive of: a filename, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder, (inside of) a folder
quickly becoming somewhat of a problem in system registry :D
But who..... lives, in such a messy world, I wonder ???

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Waterwerx

Jul 14, 2016
Hazleton, PA
✟56,259.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
lol, what in the world are you naming, image files of pharmaceutical compounds by their IUPAC name?
It must be a huge database if you're resorting to long file names instead of a file system. I've never dealt with large databases & servers, and hope I never have to.

Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:D

I was taught, that "Windows 'LOVES' Long Filenames"

I wonder, should I (mention) bring up, the subjects
of
'F L A G S' _' T O K E N S ' and even _ ' K E Y S '

:D

Let us start a POLL

to see which of us has EVER needed the services of a LONG FILE HANDLER ??

LOL

There, is a pointless exercise :oldthumbsup:

The conclusion, is already apparent :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0