UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"the result of Trump losing the election is very likely jail for him, his family, his friends and many employees of his companies." Care to try to defend that statement?
Yep,. I agree if Trump loses I seriously doubt he will see any federal charges. As to state charges I seriously doubt he will incur more than fines if that.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That would not result in the charges brought against him by the State of New York and others.

actually unless thats what you meant, pence can only pardon trump for federal crimes, state crimes would require the govenors of said states to pardon him.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are you talking about? It wouldn't be an election. It would simply be the Presidency becoming vacant and the VP succeeding to office for the rest of the term.

I think he means trump beating biden, only to let the VP become president, they didn't directly vote for him, sure it's what would happen if trump stepped down, but I be curious the legal challenges if he did it from the start.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Makes me think of this, at 1:00
True, just sceptical of any post election prosecution. Federally I seriously doubt Biden would want to see his one and only term blighted by a Trump prosecution, there would be a lot of pressure on the states so avoid it as well.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
True, just sceptical of any post election prosecution. Federally I seriously doubt Biden would want to see his one and only term blighted by a Trump prosecution, there would be a lot of pressure on the states so avoid it as well.

I think it could be the same way it went with the impeachment, while the impeachment was doomed to fail, they had to go through with it, otherwise it be saying it's fine to blatantly lie and cheat and such if your the president.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To be clear, you would respect Pence if he made a deal with Trump and then reneged on it?
Pence isn't needed. It appears that Trump can pardon himself. I wouldn't recommend pursuing charges resulting from his presidency once he is out. However he was a corrupt businessman already, so there are likely to be charges independent of the presidency. Those should continue to be pursued whether he's president or not.

I'd like to avoid anything that looks like political retribution. But being president shouldn't shield him from consequences of personal and business activities.

Democrats, if they win and if they're smart, will want to put Trump behind them so they can do useful things. Having NY State prosecute him probably wouldn't interfere, but Federal prosecution very well might. Democrats might reasonably be interesting in knowing various things that happened while he was president and shut down investigations, but it's not clear that it makes sense for them actually to pursue finding out.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Pence isn't needed. It appears that Trump can pardon himself. I wouldn't recommend pursuing charges resulting from his presidency once he is out. However he was a corrupt businessman already, so there are likely to be charges independent of the presidency. Those should continue to be pursued whether he's president or not.

I'd like to avoid anything that looks like political retribution. But being president shouldn't shield him from consequences of personal and business activities.

Democrats, if they win and if they're smart, will want to put Trump behind them so they can do useful things. Having NY State prosecute him probably wouldn't interfere, but Federal prosecution very well might. Democrats might reasonably be interesting in knowing various things that happened while he was president and shut down investigations, but it's not clear that it makes sense for them actually to pursue finding out.
Yep, Biden will not want to see his one and only term dominated by prosecuting the last President.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it could be the same way it went with the impeachment, while the impeachment was doomed to fail, they had to go through with it, otherwise it be saying it's fine to blatantly lie and cheat and such if your the president.
They might launch an investigation, lasting 4 years, kicking it into the long grass.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps we should defer to Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance, Jr. He has the goods on the Trump's, and Cuomo would never give them a pardon.
Good now you can try to defend that statement something tells me you are about to be two for two in the inability to support your posts. Show me what you think Cyrus Vance has, evidence would be a nice change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I generally agree. The Democrats should leave prosecutions to NY. However, there may be one exception.
Income tax charges may be reasonable to pursue if NY finds him guilty of income tax fraud.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I'd like to avoid anything that looks like political retribution.

That simply sets a precedent that illegal acts committed by the president during his term aren't illegal. I mean, if we want to go with that bring on the Democratic response - purging all Republicans from the executive branch as a start. And coercing foreign governments to make up dirt about GOP senators. Sky's the limit. Maybe we can arrest a few of the more conservative supreme court justices for jaywalking or something.

I mean, sure, that's bad but there's nothing that should be done to stop it because that would be "political retribution".

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,418.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you naive enough to think that when Trump exits the presidency he will, as his predecessors are doing, spend his retirement setting up foundations and doing good around the world? That is completely the opposite of what he has done in his first 74 years--so why would he do that in January?
No. He will set up a media organization (heavily leveraged) and run 24 hour a day news dumps--99% of them biased, perhaps, charitably, about 85% completely false--to wreak his revenge.
The only way to contain this trainwreck is to make him accountable for his earlier crimes and put him in a secure setting where he won't continue to create havoc in the U.S. as Putin's puppet.

Upvote 0