United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!:wave:

I was raised Baptist, but lately I have been exploring the other denominations of Christianity and feel drawn to Presbyterianism.

I find myself agreeing with Presbyterians more than any other denomination, but there are a few issues that keep me from switching.

1. I am a credobaptist, but I'm aware that most denominations will practice believer's baptism if requested. Can a Presbyterian be a credobaptist? I may disagree with paedobaptism, but it is a relatively minor issue to me and I dont see it as an issue worth dividing over.

2. I find myself agreeing with the presbyterian view of church government than the congregational one. However, I believe that the NT church had a presbyterian structure but the local congregations still had a good degree of autonomy. So I think the most biblical and ideal church government is the one that combines the two.

3. I have become more accepting of Reformed theology, particularly the New Covenant Theology espoused by some Reformed Baptists, but I don't believe the Church has replaced Israel, but rather it has been grafted onto the olive tree that is spiritual Israel and that God still has a plan for national Israel and will one day be grafted back in. Basically, I see them as seperate entities, but not to the extreme dispensationalists insist on. Beyond that, I have no official beliefs about eschatology.

Could I fit in well with Presbyterianism (specifically the PCA), or there things I still need to work on?

Reactions: JM

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1. I am a credobaptist, but I'm aware that most denominations will practice believer's baptism if requested. Can a Presbyterian be a credobaptist? I may disagree with paedobaptism, but it is a relatively minor issue to me and I dont see it as an issue worth dividing over.

Many Presbyterians would agree with you. It seems to me that it's the Baptists who are all up in arms about their views on baptism. They've named themselves after their position on this, after all!

2. I find myself agreeing with the presbyterian view of church government than the congregational one. However, I believe that the NT church had a presbyterian structure but the local congregations still had a good degree of autonomy. So I think the most biblical and ideal church government is the one that combines the two.

Reformed Baptists will usually govern with a plurality of elders like Presbyterians. And Reformed Baptists that belong to networks like Sojourn or Acts29 have some sense of broader unity among local churches. But if you got into the PCA I think you'd find that the local churches are very much autonomous on things that are important to be autonomous about and are very much united on matters that are bigger than the local church.

3. I have become more accepting of Reformed theology, particularly the New Covenant Theology espoused by some Reformed Baptists, but I don't believe the Church has replaced Israel, but rather it has been grafted onto the olive tree that is spiritual Israel and that God still has a plan for national Israel and will one day be grafted back in. Basically, I see them as seperate entities, but not to the extreme dispensationalists insist on. Beyond that, I have no official beliefs about eschatology.

You should know that "replacement theology" is a pejorative term that is used to mischaracterize Covenant Theology. No one believes that the church has replaced Israel.

Could I fit in well with Presbyterianism (specifically the PCA), or there things I still need to work on?

You don't have to be a presbyterian to be a presbyterian.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,805.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
We share similar beliefs. After 15 years in a Baptist church I can tell you I made the wrong decision years ago, I shouldn't become a member of the local ARP, now my family are all too Baptist to see how wonderful the local Presbyterian church really is. That's my fault in many, many ways but at least now I can offer advice to another who may be in a similar situation.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: The church I'm a member of isn't horrible, not at all, it's just not Reformed.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!:wave:

I was raised Baptist, but lately I have been exploring the other denominations of Christianity and feel drawn to Presbyterianism.

I find myself agreeing with Presbyterians more than any other denomination, but there are a few issues that keep me from switching.

Jump on in. The water's fine.;)

Upvote 0