Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Since I was 12 I have been writing daily in a journal. While it started out as a process I was advised to use to overcome some issues in my life, it has now become much more and I wanted to say a few things about the process and what I believe its affects are.

When I started I had a pressured mind – that is so many thoughts at the same time and each with their own emotion. When you write it forces you to sort through your thoughts and order them as much as possible. It forces you to think through things and question what you think it actually true and whats just noise.

For a lot of people writing changes what the truth is. You can say something 100 times but when its in writing its more likely that suddenly it becomes evidence of truth. A formal parchment stating Rachael Conway has a degree suddenly makes it more true then Rachael herself saying it. An old guy tells a story about himself being a hero in the war and you think – yeah yeah – but then you come across the story in a book and suddenly that makes it true. I want to state, that through my mind journeys, I have come to realise that just because its written, doesn’t make it true.

Another of my thoughts is that writing expresses a view far more eloquently that simply saying it. It is it’s own form of artistry. To that end what makes that artistry all the more precious is when its written in your own handwriting. My journal is always my handwriting and I surround each entry with paintings or drawings or flowers I have picked. I am realising just how valuable that’s made those journals. I feel the same when I receive something in someone’s handwriting.

There was someone I was very close to and on her birthday I got a notebook with heavy parchment paper and copied on each page entries from my journal that expressed thoughts about her and did some art around each entry. She had terrible parents and a terrible life but my one happiness for her is how she felt when I gave her that gift. My point in all this is that what you think and put on paper is powerful in all sorts of ways. It portrays something more striking than if you had chosen to speak those words. When its done with your own handwriting it turns that powerful communication into something treasured (or something fearful if you write something negative). It is likely what you write wont be discarded. I write SMSs and e-mails but they convey small bites of disposable thoughts. But there is nothing disposable about the choice to express something loving to someone with your own hand.

Reactions: JCFantasy23

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Since I was 12 I have been writing daily in a journal. While it started out as a process I was advised to use to overcome some issues in my life, it has now become much more and I wanted to say a few things about the process and what I believe its affects are.

When I started I had a pressured mind – that is so many thoughts at the same time and each with their own emotion. When you write it forces you to sort through your thoughts and order them as much as possible. It forces you to think through things and question what you think it actually true and whats just noise.

For a lot of people writing changes what the truth is. You can say something 100 times but when its in writing its more likely that suddenly it becomes evidence of truth. A formal parchment stating Rachael Conway has a degree suddenly makes it more true then Rachael herself saying it. An old guy tells a story about himself being a hero in the war and you think – yeah yeah – but then you come across the story in a book and suddenly that makes it true. I want to state, that through my mind journeys, I have come to realise that just because its written, doesn’t make it true.

Another of my thoughts is that writing expresses a view far more eloquently that simply saying it. It is it’s own form of artistry. To that end what makes that artistry all the more precious is when its written in your own handwriting. My journal is always my handwriting and I surround each entry with paintings or drawings or flowers I have picked. I am realising just how valuable that’s made those journals. I feel the same when I receive something in someone’s handwriting.

There was someone I was very close to and on her birthday I got a notebook with heavy parchment paper and copied on each page entries from my journal that expressed thoughts about her and did some art around each entry. She had terrible parents and a terrible life but my one happiness for her is how she felt when I gave her that gift. My point in all this is that what you think and put on paper is powerful in all sorts of ways. It portrays something more striking than if you had chosen to speak those words. When its done with your own handwriting it turns that powerful communication into something treasured (or something fearful if you write something negative). It is likely what you write wont be discarded. I write SMSs and e-mails but they convey small bites of disposable thoughts. But there is nothing disposable about the choice to express something loving to someone with your own hand.
The best advice my mentor gave me was that if I received an insight or anything revealed to me by the Lord, to write it down. That way I had a record of it and could be reminded of it when my memory of it faded with time. That's what Luke did. He kept a journal, and it ended up being the Book of Acts.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The best advice my mentor gave me was that if I received an insight or anything revealed to me by the Lord, to write it down. That way I had a record of it and could be reminded of it when my memory of it faded with time. That's what Luke did. He kept a journal, and it ended up being the Book of Acts.
As long as we realise that just because its written, doesnt make it true.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As long as we realise that just because its written, doesnt make it true.
If it is true for me, it is enough. Personal insights and "revelations" are subjective to the person receiving them, and so not necessarily objective to everyone else. A person's journal or diary is personal and contains personal opinions and observations. If you are referring to Luke, he did not publish his writing except after very comprehensive research to ensure that everything he recorded was as accurate as he could get it. The Church obviously thought it was accurate because Acts was accepted into the canon of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If it is true for me, it is enough. Personal insights and "revelations" are subjective to the person receiving them, and so not necessarily objective to everyone else. A person's journal or diary is personal and contains personal opinions and observations. If you are referring to Luke, he did not publish his writing except after very comprehensive research to ensure that everything he recorded was as accurate as he could get it. The Church obviously thought it was accurate because Acts was accepted into the canon of Scripture.
Well I guess I do include the bible and most especially written interpretations of it. The bible is no less susceptible to incorrect writing or incorrect translation or simply wasnt true in the first place. Remember with a book like genesis we dont even know when it was written or who wrote it (though theres several theories) - yet this is held up as absolute unquestionable truth

When I think about these sorts of things I think about what will be the truth in the year 10 000. When they ask who was the first person to climb Mount Everest will they say it was Ms Loa Piang because every book around says it was her. They even have photos of her standing on the top of everest. It just requires enough to be written about it to suddenly make it the truth, and Sir Edmund Hillary's name will disappear as a silly alternative by a radical few hell bent on some minority cause.

Upvote 0