Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am putting the finishing touches on a study I am doing on the Power of Love (Biblical) or God's Love or the Kingdom any way you want to label it. What struck me is that so many people seek out the powers that Christ had in His ministry, powers like healing the flesh and such but fail to seek or understand all the power that is ours that is "greater" John 14:12.

They seem to not understand that the what some call the showy gifts, were in fact, the power of revelation, that is to say they were there to reveal to the world the truth of the Messiah. But, after Christ's ascension, came the Holy Spirit and all the power of the Kingdom that we have to live out the revelation in our lives on a daily basis.

So my questions that I would like to present for discussion is what power do you see in scripture that we seldom live out in the flesh? How can we live in that power? And why do we not see that the power of the revelation is just that, the power to reveal who Christ is and that the real power is greater?

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. To live a self controlled life and a godly life is much more powerful than healing someone. Although generally it is understood that you can't have the power to heal someone without living a godly self controlled life.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. To live a self controlled life and a godly life is much more powerful than healing someone. Although generally it is understood that you can't have the power to heal someone without living a godly self controlled life.
that may be how many view it, but Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect....doesn't see it that way and neither should we. Not to mention Rev. where it will appear that the antichrist is raised from the dead...

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will add this to my previous comments, according to James 5:14-16 if we expect to see answers to our prayers we better be living in the righteousness of Christ through the power He gives us to do so. Another truth of scripture we seldom see taught.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
that may be how many view it, but Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect....doesn't see it that way and neither should we. Not to mention Rev. where it will appear that the antichrist is raised from the dead...
What I said was true. I said "generally" it is understood. So it is the default natural way the power of healing can come. The counterfeit of this natural way does not change that fact. It was this very reason that this man said this of Christ:

We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him. Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.” ~John 9:31-33

So it stands that if the good guys want to have powers of healing, they will have to live godly self controlled lives.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I said was true. I said "generally" it is understood. So it is the default natural way the power of healing can come. The counterfeit of this natural way does not change that fact. It was this very reason that this man said this of Christ:

We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him. Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.” ~John 9:31-33

So it stands that if the good guys want to have powers of healing, they will have to live godly self controlled lives.
I didn't think I was questioning that, just saying that we should not assume that everyone who heals or even claims healing power should be trusted to be one of the godly self controlled lives we like to think they are, for in that we deceive ourselves.

This is why we are told to test the spirits, to hold fast to solid teaching, etc. In fact, one of the powers of the Kingdom is that of not being deceived, that of identifying false teachers/prophets.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't think I was questioning that, just saying that we should not assume that everyone who heals or even claims healing power should be trusted to be one of the godly self controlled lives we like to think they are, for in that we deceive ourselves.

This is why we are told to test the spirits, to hold fast to solid teaching, etc. In fact, one of the powers of the Kingdom is that of not being deceived, that of identifying false teachers/prophets.
Right

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will add this to my previous comments, according to James 5:14-16 if we expect to see answers to our prayers we better be living in the righteousness of Christ through the power He gives us to do so. Another truth of scripture we seldom see taught.
Yes; praying 'Thy will be done... but not yet" is hardly a spirit of intercession...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The key according to James is the fervent prayer of a Righteous man....not the faith that we hear all too often preached.
In fact, with some evangelicals I almost get the impression that the attitude is: What does the Bible have to do with it?

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yep...heard a few of them myself...
Frankly I think we need to look again at the whole area of Christian profession in the orbit of evangelical associations, and make sure that it really is the Word of God giving a clear appreciation of the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ to the sinner, applied by the Holy Spirit. Frankly not infrequently these essential elements seem to be absent, as far as one can tell; the Lord knows the heart.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Frankly I think we need to look again at the whole area of Christian profession in the orbit of evangelical associations, and make sure that it really is the Word of God giving a clear appreciation of the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ to the sinner, applied by the Holy Spirit. Frankly not infrequently these essential elements seem to be absent, as far as one can tell; the Lord knows the heart.
My husband and I have said for many years now that one must be called by God not by the church and that when we allow Him to call He will equip and there will not be failure.

Of course we are also those that have said for many years that scripture tells us to make disciples and we forget that in exchange for the notches we put in our belt by evangelizing then leaving the newborn christian to fend for themselves and hope they make it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have said for many years now that one must be called by God not by the church and that when we allow Him to call He will equip and there will not be failure.

Of course we are also those that have said for many years that scripture tells us to make disciples and we forget that in exchange for the notches we put in our belt by evangelizing then leaving the newborn christian to fend for themselves and hope they make it.
It's a work of God; it's not a bunch of 'scalps'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jenniferdiana

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i don't know...God already told us how to do that.....so i guess to practice and live in truth and love is the only powerful thing we can learn to do, because throughout the bible every time i read something, i see love surpasses everything..i don't know...Jesus also said if we have faith as a mustard seed we can move mountains and such...so maybe its to live out in faith ...a mustard seed is small...if something so small can move a mountain than that faith really must be big and powerful..

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i don't know...God already told us how to do that.....so i guess to practice and live in truth and love is the only powerful thing we can learn to do, because throughout the bible every time i read something, i see love surpasses everything..i don't know...Jesus also said if we have faith as a mustard seed we can move mountains and such...so maybe its to live out in faith ...a mustard seed is small...if something so small can move a mountain than that faith really must be big and powerful..
One of the things that I keep coming back to when I study the power of the Kingdom and Love in general is that God leaves us without excuse. Not just when it comes to salvation but when it comes to anything and everything that He asks us to do. IOW's one of the powers of the Kingdom is to equip us so that we are without excuse...amen...I think that is kind of where I see your post going. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the things that I keep coming back to when I study the power of the Kingdom and Love in general is that God leaves us without excuse. Not just when it comes to salvation but when it comes to anything and everything that He asks us to do. IOW's one of the powers of the Kingdom is to equip us so that we are without excuse...amen...I think that is kind of where I see your post going. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you.

its ok...i kinda misunderstood your original post..i didn't read it thoroughly. i understand what you mean...

i just think that the mustard seed parable was very profound and sounds like Jesus was saying we can do great things when we have that kind of faith.

i don't know...anything is possible when you believe...and that's what makes that kind of faith really makes things work...*shrug it defiintely meant something lol

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
its ok...i kinda misunderstood your original post..i didn't read it thoroughly. i understand what you mean...

i just think that the mustard seed parable was very profound and sounds like Jesus was saying we can do great things when we have that kind of faith.

i don't know...anything is possible when you believe...and that's what makes that kind of faith really makes things work...*shrug it defiintely meant something lol
Amen...in fact, I think we could say in light of Romans 12:3 that faith is one of the powers of the Kingdom that we can and should live in right now. A power that opens the door to more and more powers being revealed in us.

In the study I am looking not only at the powers but at how we can tap into those powers (for lack of better wording) This I would put under how to tap into those powers but maybe your right, maybe it should be a power in and of itself....

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen...in fact, I think we could say in light of Romans 12:3 that faith is one of the powers of the Kingdom that we can and should live in right now. A power that opens the door to more and more powers being revealed in us.

In the study I am looking not only at the powers but at how we can tap into those powers (for lack of better wording) This I would put under how to tap into those powers but maybe your right, maybe it should be a power in and of itself....
Grace is the key, right? as the verse that you quote says.

Upvote 0