✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Smidlee said:
Of course in order to believe man been here for over 150,000 years you have to believe that man-kind just stayed in their little box of small hunter-gather groups as you call them.
It is not a belief, man. The evidence from archaeology alone is overwhelming.

Read Guns, Germs and Steel. You have no authority to continue making ignorant statements on this topic if you do not.

Upvote 0

Sheffey

Aug 4, 2005
✟15,149.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Pete Harcoff said:
I've meaning to write this for awhile, because this really keeps depressing me. It's the population argument for a young Earth. Specifically, it's the argument that if the world's population is 6 billion, it can't be more than a few thousand years old. Why? Because if people were around longer, there should be lots more people.

You can find this argument on various creationist sites.

This argument is so trivial that it can be refuted with some simple logic and a basic understanding of ecology. Every population has an upper limit imposed on it by limitations of available resources. Living organisms need resources (i.e. food, water) to survive, and if there isn't enough to go around, the population can't grow. In some cases, the population will swing up and down, depending on conditions in the environment.

So clearly there are limitations on the growth of the human population that prevents this all-out growth some creationists insist would have happened. This is simple common sense. Mind you, there is no doubt the human population has experienced rapid growth over the last few hundred years. But this is explained by increasing the available resources through industrialization, as well as improving health and survival via medicine.

What's really depressing about this, however, is the fact that I learned this stuff before getting to high school. This is junior high level stuff at best. Heck, we learned about ecology, population cycles, etc, in primary school. It's so utterly depressing to think that there are creationist arguments being used that could be refuted by someone with a 5th grade eduction.

I had no Idea this was even an argument for a Young Earth
I am a YEC and the main website I use is ainswersingensis.org.
It has more of the stronger arguments
which I will show to anyone if they want them.

Upvote 0

Mistermystery

Here's looking at you kid
Apr 19, 2004
✟5,275.00
Faith
Atheist
Sheffey said:
Don't bother. Why don't you use the thing God gave you to investegate this issue for yourself? You are now basically proclaiming unresearched claims by the people from AIG and say as if we never heard them before.

Let me give you a spoiler alert: we have. It's a pratt (points refutted a thousand times), and as the name implies has been refuted. Unless you have something new to contribute, you really shouldn't bother going over to AIG again. It makes you look like a brainwashed robot or something that can't think stuff up for yourself.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Sheffey said:

We are quite familiar with AiG's arguments here. They've been debunked time and time again.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Sheffey said:

cengrap1.gif

:scratch::eek::sick:

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Pete Harcoff said:
We are quite familiar with AiG's arguments here. They've been debunked time and time again.
Worry not my friend Sheffey Debunked they have not disagreed with -of course Keep reading AiG material. You will finally be reading some real scientific truth about the origins of things.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
A4C said:
Worry not my friend Sheffey Debunked they have not disagreed with -of course Keep reading AiG material. You will finally be reading some real scientific truth about the origins of things.
<sarcasm>
Couldn't agree more!

After all, when A4C suggested that rocks can't bend under pressure or that new rock was formed from Mount Saint Helens mudslides, it was AIG that provided me the scientific truth that showed he was in error.
</sarcasm>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
wagsbags said:
As if YECers have ever been concerned with evidence. They look at one or two websites which is maybe 1% (at most) of the 'scientific' community.
It is not a matter of evidence The evidence is the same -it is what is truthfully deduced from that evidence which is in question.

Upvote 0

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
A4C said:
It is not a matter of evidence The evidence is the same -it is what is truthfully deduced from that evidence which is in question.

How can one truthfully deduce anything from the evidence if one signs a statement of faith asserting that any evidence which contradicts one's predetermined conclusion is invalid?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
MartinM said:
How can one truthfully deduce anything from the evidence if one signs a statement of faith asserting that any evidence which contradicts one's predetermined conclusion is invalid?

Precisely, can't be done. But who actually thinks that religion is about the search for truth?

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
A4C said:
Keep reading AiG material. You will finally be reading some real scientific truth about the origins of things.

I have trouble reading this without bursting out laughing. All AiG does is evangelize. There's no scientific truth there, just Christian propaganda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Pete Harcoff said:
I have trouble reading this without bursting out laughing. All AiG does is evangelize. There's no scientific truth there, just Christian propaganda.
It comes as no surprise that those at AiG are Christians who are all called to evangelise anyway. However I fail to see how you can ignore the huge contribution they make to reveal to others the scientific truth that you would not hear in an evolution polluted science class room

Upvote 0

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
Polluted? Evolution was hardly mentioned in my science classes. I think the target you're searching for is "Rational thinking and evidence pulluted class rooms (and all science pretty much)"
It comes as no surprise that those at AiG are Christians who are all called to evangelise anyway. However I fail to see how you can ignore the huge contribution they make to reveal to others the scientific truth that you would not hear in an evolution polluted science class room

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
A4C said:

Because AiG has no truth. It's all propaganda.

Upvote 0

wagsbags

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
✟15,757.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
AIG readily admits their primary concern is faith, not science. Otherwise you would see them 'contribute' to science other than talking about how evolution is wrong. and here http://www.asa3.org/ is a website of christian scientists who speak out agains YEC and even agree that it's their 'evidence' is dishonest.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
A4C, I ask you to please respond directly and logically to my post below.

The creationist argument states that there would be too many humans on earth under mainstream estimations of the specie's age. They do not take into consideration that organism populations are governed by the amount of resources, not the amount of time. Using this argument with rabbits, starting four thousand years ago, it would seem like rabbits should cover the entire surface of the earth.

Why don't they? It's obvious--such a population is not sustainable. Disease and famine would keep the population of rabbits in check. Why don't these creationist arguments take into account the limited resources of earth?

Upvote 0