The population argument for a young Earth

alerj123

Jun 11, 2005
✟832.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh really? Do you have scientific proof of this?

umm, yea, acually, we do. We know how populations work. We observe it, we see that populations of rabbits don't grow until they cover the eath, nor do any creature. If you cant tell me why humans are exempt from that, then there is no reason to think that they are. We are animals, after all. the same rules that applies to them applies to us.

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Loudmouth said:
The fact that the mass of bacteria on this planet is so low compared to what it could be.
humans populate exponentially
bacteria don't populate exponentially
Therefore humans and bacteria populate in the same manner
Have I got your reasoning right there?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
A4C said:
The fact that the mass of bacteria on this planet is so low compared to what it could be.

humans populate exponentially
bacteria don't populate exponentially
Therefore humans and bacteria populate in the same manner

Have I got your reasoning right there?

I must have missed a page. Both human and bacterial populations can grow exponentially, but not all of the time. Like bacteria, humans stop exponential growth when they run out of resources. The "population" argument used by creationists assumes that current human population growth is the norm when in fact it is an artifact of increased resources due to technology.

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Loudmouth said:
I must have missed a page. Both human and bacterial populations can grow exponentially, but not all of the time. Like bacteria, humans stop exponential growth when they run out of resources. The "population" argument used by creationists assumes that current human population growth is the norm when in fact it is an artifact of increased resources due to technology.
I think technology may in fact have detrimental effect on population growth - just a hunch perhaps :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

raphael_aa

Wild eyed liberal
Nov 25, 2004
✟9,552.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A4C said:
I think technology may in fact have detrimental effect on population growth - just a hunch perhaps :)

Yep, all that medical advancement, increased life expectancy,green revolution, assistive technology has obviously got to be detrimental:confused:

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
A4C said:

Technology has lead to record yields in agriculture which now fuels population growth, plain and simple. Medical advances allow this growth to be sustainable. If the opposite were true then we should have been run over by tribes from the Amazon Valley long ago.

Upvote 0

alerj123

Jun 11, 2005
✟832.00
Faith
Atheist
I think technology may in fact have detrimental effect on population growth - just a hunch perhaps

A4C, why do you make things up? would you like to give us a reason WHY technology has a detrimental effect on population growth? Technology has a HUGE benifit to population growth. It allows us to grow more, to feed more people. It allows people to survive sickness where they would otherwise die. It allows us to transport goods so that everyone who needs something can get it. Those are just a few of the benifets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alerj123

Jun 11, 2005
✟832.00
Faith
Atheist
birth control, abortion, global warming , proliferation of diseases , weapons of mass destruction, etc etc.

Unfotunatly, all these things don't offset the benifets of technology. Let me ask you a question. If all the technology we have, hyothetically, went away, could are population stay as large as it is?

Upvote 0