The Pope suddenly resigns!

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
For just a little background info.. Saint Malachy (1094 – 2 November 1148) was an Irish saint and Archbishop of Armagh, to whom were attributed several miracles and an alleged vision of 112 Popes later attributed to the apocalyptic list of Prophecy of the Popes. He was the first Irish saint to be canonized by Pope Clement III in 1199.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
He is a busy fellow... As cardinal, Bergoglio was appointed to several administrative positions in the Roman Curia. He served on the Congregation of Clergy, Congregation of Divine Worship and Sacraments, Congregation of Institutes of Consecrated Life and the Congregation of Societies of Apostolic Life. Bergoglio became a member of the Commission on Latin American and the Family Council.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Oddly, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, a Jesuit, is the son of Italian parents (making him Roman) and has taken on the name, “Francis”, after Francis of Assisi, whose given name was Giovanni Francesco di Pietro (or Peter) Bernardone. Pretty interesting…

Jorge Mario Bergoglio became a Jesuit in 1958. This is very important, since the Jesuits order was organized "to stop Protestantism from spreading and to preserve communion with Rome and the successor of Peter..." just to name one task the Jesuits focus in on. The Jesuits are very involved in the financial world, the political world, the spy world, religious world, and education world just to name a few areas...I think it is prudent that since we now have a Jesuit Pope that it behooves us to know what the Jesuit order has done, will do, objectives, purpose, methods, key players, and outcomes so far.

Your right about that the Jesuits are good spies, they would give the CIA a run for their money.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
According to the Huffington Post, Bergoglio was a high-ranking official in the Society of Jesus of Argentina when a military junta was installed in the South American country in 1976 and he may have been involved in a kidnapping.. According to the Los Angeles Times, priests Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics were kidnapped in May of that year by the navy. "They surfaced five months later, drugged and seminude, in a field," the Times reported. A 2005 lawsuit accused Bergoglio of unspecified involvement in the abductions. Reuters explains that "the military government secretly jailed [Yorio and Jalics] for their work in poor neighborhoods." A spokesman for Bergoglio called the claims "old slander."

Pope Francis Kidnapping Controversy: Jorge Mario Bergoglio Accused Of Involvement In 1976 Abductions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MessianicMommy

From my understanding, he is an exceedingly humble and down to earth guy with a touch of dark humor. That sounds like something I would tell family if they elected me to do something. In fact, I may have said such when I was asked to host hangouts once a week online with people I have never met before. . .

I think it was his attempt at humor and honor it as such, and I believe this paranoia surrounding him and his office is a bit much at this point.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

WOW!
By Thursday morning ...Francis stopped by the Vatican-owned residence where he routinely stays during visits to Rome and where he stayed before the start of the conclave.
"He wanted to come here because he wanted to thank the personnel, people who work in this house," said The Rev. Pawel Rytel-Andrianek, who is staying at the residence. "He greeted them one by one, no rush, the whole staff, one by one."
He then paid the bill.
Francis displayed that same sense of simplicity and humility immediately after his election, shunning the special sedan that was to transport him to the hotel so he could ride on the bus with other cardinals, and refusing even an elevated platform from which he would greet them, according to U.S. Cardinal Timothy Dolan.
The new pontiff brings a common touch. The son of middle-class Italian immigrants, he denied himself the luxuries that previous cardinals in Buenos Aires enjoyed. He lived in a simple apartment, often rode the bus to work, cooked his own meals and regularly visited slums that ring Argentina's capital.
New style of papacy: Pope Francis pays hotel bill

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Everybody,

I saw this thread advertised on the main page and thought I'd poke my head in. Members of this forum are being very respectful about the election of the new Pope Francesco. I hope that other CFers who are not members here also show you the same courtesy and respect should they choose to visit. G-d bless you.

Shalom,
David

:groupray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

MessianicMommy

Hi Everybody,

I saw this thread advertised on the main page and thought I'd poke my head in. Members of this forum are being very respectful about the election of the new Pope Francesco. I hope that other CFers who are not members here also show you the same courtesy and respect should they choose to visit. G-d bless you.

Shalom,
David

:groupray:
Agreed :groupray:

I'm really very impressed with him. I've cried seeing some of the wonderful, humble, from-the-heart type things he's done for his people before becoming pope, and after.

He also broke tradition by remaining standing to receive cardinals' acts of homage after his election, instead of sitting in the papal throne, Father Lombardi said.

On Friday, Pope Francis will meet all the cardinals, including those aged over 80 who did not take part in the conclave.
BBC News - Pope Francis warns Church could become 'compassionate NGO'

Bergoglio is said to have had good relations with Argentinian Jews. He was praised by local and U.S. Jewish community leaders for his response to the 1994 bombing of the Argentine Jewish Mutual Association. In 2005, Bergoglio signed a joint statement against terrorism together with Jose Adaszko of the Israel Mutual Association of Argentina, and Omar Helal Massud of the Islamic Center, with an emphasis on preventing attacks such as the 1994 bombing.
http://www.virtualjerusalem.com/news.php?Itemid=9423

The choice of "Francis" is seen as a gesture from Bergoglio, the first Jesuit to become pope, toward the Franciscans. Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi has confirmed that the name refers to St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan order, often seen as the Jesuits' traditional rivals.
At the Whispers in the Loggia blog , Vatican expert Rocco Palmo says that Pope Francis' name reflects "his desire to be a force of unity in a polarized fold, a heart for the poor, and his intent to 'repair God's house, which has fallen into ruin' ... that is, to rebuild the church.
Pope Francis: A Saintly Name, Hold The 'I' : The Two-Way : NPR

23. Harshly criticized pastors who refuse to baptize the children of single mothers.
24. He "visited a hospice to kiss and wash the feet of 12 AIDS patients" in 2001.
Meet Pope Francis (Jorge Bergoglio) -- Daily Intelligencer

We may have some theological differences, but who can't love someone who can do all of that and be honest and humble about it, instead of claiming bragging rights? ;)

He seems to be a real social-justice type believer, which I am as well, so... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From my understanding, he is an exceedingly humble and down to earth guy with a touch of dark humor. That sounds like something I would tell family if they elected me to do something. In fact, I may have said such when I was asked to host hangouts once a week online with people I have never met before. . .

I think it was his attempt at humor and honor it as such, and I believe this paranoia surrounding him and his office is a bit much at this point.

Feeling you where you're coming from.

I find it wild to see the fact that the new Pope is from Argentina, the first non-European leader of the church in more than 1,000 years -an advocate for addressing poverty...one named after Francis Xavier ( a fellow Jesuit/amazing missionary to Japa...n/Asian countries) and very humble pastoral figure whose background sends a powerful message that the future of the Church lies in the Global South, the location of the majority of the world's Cathlolics. I find it noteworthy that he took bus to work and the people could come up to talk to him anytime..in addition to the fact that he lived in an apartment/ cooked for himself. A lot of networks are saying his election was a night of firsts for the Catholic Church. And for many of the humble/God-Fearing Catholics who've done serious ministry in down-trodden areas, I am glad they're encouraged.

A lot of prayer for the individual as well as the saints going through in the areas he comes from is neeed - and it's a blessing to do so. As it concerns the rumors - especially in regards to a lot of people saying/claiming that the New Pope is going to be the anti-Christ per this "Peter the Roman" prophecy, truthfully, I'm thankful for folks seeking to address this since there's no BIBLICAL reference for what's said.

Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Gxg (G²);62632121 said:
Feeling you where you're coming from.

I find it wild to see the fact that the new Pope is from Argentina, the first non-European leader of the church in more than 1,000 years -an advocate for addressing poverty...one named after Francis Xavier ( a fellow Jesuit/amazing missionary to Japa...n/Asian countries) and very humble pastoral figure whose background sends a powerful message that the future of the Church lies in the Global South, the location of the majority of the world's Cathlolics. I find it noteworthy that he took bus to work and the people could come up to talk to him anytime..in addition to the fact that he lived in an apartment/ cooked for himself. A lot of networks are saying his election was a night of firsts for the Catholic Church. And for many of the humble/God-Fearing Catholics who've done serious ministry in down-trodden areas, I am glad they're encouraged.

A lot of prayer for the individual as well as the saints going through in the areas he comes from is neeed - and it's a blessing to do so. As it concerns the rumors - especially in regards to a lot of people saying/claiming that the New Pope is going to be the anti-Christ per this "Peter the Roman" prophecy, truthfully, I'm thankful for folks seeking to address this since there's no BIBLICAL reference for what's said.

Two things - the Vatican seems to be playing down this connection and claiming that his choice of name is related to St. Francis of Assisi. Read Philip Jenkins - The New Christendom (latest edition). He has written about the South being the new centre of the Church and the North / West losing out to secularism. It is an interesting read!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Two things - the Vatican seems to be playing down this connection and claiming that his choice of name is related to St. Francis of Assisi. Read Philip Jenkins - The New Christendom (latest edition). He has written about the South being the new centre of the Church and the North / West losing out to secularism. It is an interesting read!
Seeing what the Vatican has said is interesting. Specifically, it is interesting to see the claim that the name was chosen after St.Francis of Assisi and yet the New Pope is a Jesuit like St.Francis of Xavier. For many, it's an issue of duality.

Even in the event that attempts to play down the choice of name occur, St.Francis of Assisi would still be significant and seen in connection with St.Francis of Xavier since Xavier is a part of the spiritual heritage of the Jesuits (more shared from here in previous discussions on what Xavier did). Modern Jesuits see St. Francis of Assisi as the patron saint of community organizing, even though by today’s standards his actual views would be regarded as militantly orthodox and he would have seen the conflation of the corporal works of mercy with specific political programs as mystifying. If he is an orthodox reformer in the mold of St. Francis of Assisi and a missionary in the spirit of St. Francis Xavier, he will need to start close to home.

As it concerns Philip Jenkins, I've read the work "The New Christendom" before...around 2 years ago, actually. Awesome read, IMHO, when it comes to showing Global Christianity and glad to know you've read it :) I own a couple of his works/have recommended them to others - although I checked out "The New Christendom" from the local library. Sadly, although I had planned on buying it in the bookstore after seeing it once, it was no longer present. Nonetheless, it's an amazing read indeed and I appreciate what he has noted in the book and his differing articles/videos on the issue.

A lot of people were concerned that choosing a Pope from the Global South would signify that the North/West were being abandoned as the center of definition in influence for the Catholic world. Others felt that choosing a Non-European pope would send a signal that they are giving up on being an active force in the Global Borth and looking to become increasingly insular in that part of the globe, while looking to the Global South to be the cultural center of the Church for potentially centuries to come, relying on the high conversion rate and zeal for religion down there- and swinging way to the conservative end of the spectrum.

However, I think that perhaps shifting to the Global South as a dominant force/the spot to influence things globally would not be negative...for the opposite result is that there'd be implict focus on the Global North seeking to be the main source of influence/not allow for a new time of influence to develop and take a rest in history. Having the Global SOUTH - which is shaping things would not necessarily mean that the Global North was abandoned ...no more than it'd be the case that having the Global North lead would mean the Global South was abandoned. It seems that others are seeing the writing on the wall with the SOuth rising more so in prominence and leadership - and thus, to have a face representative of that would be beneficial.

Indeed, the Church is not going to give up on Europe, North America and the Pacific Rim in favor of building up in the high growth areas of Africa and South America. As it is, the Pacific Rim in addition to Asia is also connected to the Global South dynamic. There do seem to be valid reasons why the Global South should be more of a focus. As one author said best:
Across the global South cardinals and bishops have become national moral leaders in a way essentially unseen in the West since the seventeenth century. The struggles of South African churches under apartheid spring to mind, but just as impressive were the pro-democracy campaigns of many churches and denominations elsewhere in Africa during the 1980s and 1990s. Prelates know that they are expected to speak for their people, even though if they speak boldly, they may well pay with their lives. Important and widely revered modern martyrs include Archbishop Luwum, of Uganda; Archbishop Munzihirwa, of Zaire; and Cardinal Biayenda, of Congo-Brazzaville.

As this sense of moral leadership grows, we might reasonably ask whethr Christianity will also provide a guiding political ideology for much of the world. We might even imagine a new wave of Christian states, in which political life is inextricably bound up with religious belief. Zambia declared itself a Christian nation in 1991, and similar ideas have been bruited in Zimbabwe, Kenya, and Liberia. If this ideal does gain popularity, the Christian South will soon be dealing with some debates, of long standing in the North, over the proper relationship between Church and State and between rival churches under the law.

I agree with others who note that it is simply a change in atmosphere that has been a long time coming. The Global South does seem to be where we're headed back to - and interestingly enough, historically it was the case that the world was guided by it once before - a thought often forgotten historically - so it's not the first time that area has shaped the world and it shouldn't be something people get concerned with since it may be necessary to bring change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0