Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62695994 said:
Agreed - as there has long been a lack of good representation for the rest of the world in its ethnic/cultural influences.

Well good thing "the south" now (finally) has a Italian representing them!

Given the name Bergoglio, and originating in Piedmont, there's likely some Germanic blood there too.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Torah Lishmah

The study of Torah for its own sake
Mar 17, 2013
✟9,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
I know very little about the functions of a Pope, Cardinals, and things of that nature. But the new Pope seems like a pretty down to earth fellow from what I've seen on television. He insists on living in his own modest condo-like apartment, and taking the bus to work rather than the Pope limo. Sounds like a guy you could sit down with and just shoot the breeze. My kind of guy....blue collar.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
'Pope' means 'Papa' equivalent to 'Abba' meaning Father, or daddy.

Does this make any sense now?

"God of their fathers" is found in the Bible quite a number of times, when referring to Israel it means their forefathers, the ancestors who came before them.

From Joshua

And they forsook the L-RD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the L-RD to anger

And Daniel, Chapter 11, two translations

24 Without warning, he will assail the most powerful men in each province and do things his predecessors never did, either recently or in the distant past; he will reward them with plunder, spoil and wealth while devising plots against their strongholds, but only for a time.

24 He shall enter peaceably even upon the fattest places of the province; and he shall do that which his fathers have not done , nor his fathers' fathers; he shall scatter among them the prey, and spoil, and riches: yea, and he shall forecast his devices against the strong holds, even for a time.

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all. 38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.

37 He will show no respect for the gods his ancestors worshipped, or for the god women worship - he won't show respect for any god, because he will consider himself greater than all of them. 38 But instead, he will honor the god of strongholds; with gold, silver, precious stones and other costly things he will honor a god unknown to his ancestors.

As you can see these are both quite different translations, so which is correct?

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
he is being greeted warmly by many Jewish leaders worldwide.

the first order of business is to note how well received Pope Francis has been by Jews around the world.

“Jews worldwide see an ally in Pope Francis"

“If the Catholics don’t canonize him,” Novak said, “the Jews should

I don't know about you but these quotes are making me uneasy, especially that last one, as the word Canonize can mean "To treat as sacred; glorify".:o

Upvote 0

Shulamite

My Bridegroom suffered this for ME
Oct 12, 2007
USA
✟18,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about you but these quotes are making me uneasy, especially that last one, as the word Canonize can mean "To treat as sacred; glorify".:o

Amen. Agreed.
Yeshua said, "For you are to call no one else 'Father', for you have one Father, Who is in Heaven".

Hmm..... I'm watching, as He said to do.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well good thing "the south" now (finally) has a Italian representing them!

Given the name Bergoglio, and originating in Piedmont, there's likely some Germanic blood there too.
Wouldn't really matter if he was of Italian descent - as the main issue is that he has understanding of the culture in the Southern part of the world. For he was born in Buenos Aires of Italian descent - and throughout South America and Latin America, others from around the world have come to live there, grow up in the culture and adopt it as their own.

There are a many who seem shocked to learn of those who are Chinese Hispanics - specifically, others from China who immigrated over to the Latin American world, had children and then had their children learn the langauage and culture :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
The Pope’s last most important political decision was that of granting an audience to Mahmoud Abbas. The Vatican should not have blessed the audience with overt political significance by accepting from the Palestinian leader the gift of a mosaic of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, bearing the inscription that it was presented to him by “the President of the State of Palestine”. A few days later, the Pope’s official notes began referring to the “State of Palestine”.

The Pope was Not a Friend of the Jews - Op-Eds - Israel National News

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
why do you care if the Vatican recognizes Palestine as a state?
Why would I care that the Vatican doesn't recognize Israel as a state is a better question. Claudette Habesch, the Caritas general-secretary in Jerusalem, a Vatican NGO that works in social activities, just released an interview to Zenit news agency, in which he “christianized” the Palestinian Intifada. http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/israelis-and-palestinians-win-together-or-lose-together

It is his story but not for the bulk of Palestinians.. they are mostly Muslims with extreme factions in their midst. As Claudette Habessch says "We pray for Jerusalem to witness a true miracle - from a City of Hope to become a City of Peace." http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=18901

You have to understand the double speak language used here... "City of Peace" is Vatican talk for Vatican controlled... As long as Israel exists... the Vatican's claim to being the "new" Israel is a hard sell. Everything they claim from the keys to the kingdom, the representative of Christ, the god on earth authority, etc all hinges on Jerusalem which they have been trying to gain since their Crusade efforts of yesteryears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

aniello

why do you care if the Vatican recognizes Palestine as a state?

Because.

What justification, before Holy G-d, does the Pope have in asserting himself(whomever the office holder may be at any time) and his chuch's views into Israel's affairs, particularly adversely? One could view his comments as incitement, legally.

Why do you care that we care? Why should we be answerable to a group who came, at the earliest, as maybe a second generation organization after the original Acts 2 congregation of Jewish belivers?

Am interested how you, or your religious organization, answers the questions, somewhat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Pope’s last most important political decision was that of granting an audience to Mahmoud Abbas. The Vatican should not have blessed the audience with overt political significance by accepting from the Palestinian leader the gift of a mosaic of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, bearing the inscription that it was presented to him by “the President of the State of Palestine”. A few days later, the Pope’s official notes began referring to the “State of Palestine”.

The Pope was Not a Friend of the Jews - Op-Eds - Israel National News
I don't see any Pope, ever a friend of the Jews. I don't know how anyone can ignore their history, and a bloody history it is.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because.

What justification, before Holy G-d, does the Pope have in asserting himself(whomever the office holder may be at any time) and his chuch's views into Israel's affairs, particularly adversely? One could view his comments as incitement, legally.

Why do you care that we care? Why should we be answerable to a group who came, at the earliest, as maybe a second generation organization after the original Acts 2 congregation of Jewish belivers?

Am interested how you, or your religious organization, answers the questions, somewhat.

They will probably answer the questions as they normally do, in double talk. The Vatican is very good at that job. :cool:

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see any Pope, ever a friend of the Jews. I don't know how anyone can ignore their history, and a bloody history it is.

You've got that right. And to make matters far worse, they had the audacity to claim it in the name of the God of the Jews! :doh:

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
No Pope has ever been apolitical - why break the habit of a lifetime? If you are G_d's only, legal, representative on earth you can do whatever you consider G_d tells you to do, or say, can't you? :doh:

;)
I am glad the real God will stand up... and they will meet face to face... and then the Pope will learn the hard way, his deception doesn't pass God's scrutiny.

Upvote 0