United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does He love them?
Yes, but He doesn’t kiss them and then signs a document saying they worship the same God - rather, He calls their father Satan.

Love doesn’t require outward gestures of indifference.

And in the same way a father rebukes a son, sometimes you need to rebuke people.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, but He doesn’t kiss them and then signs a document saying they worship the same God - rather, He calls their father Satan.
So the father of Jews is Satan then? Is that the take away?
Doesn't Jesus also recognize that they ("the hypocrites") pray to God?
And as I understand it, they were signing a document that chastizes violence in the name of religion.
Is that something worth repudiation?

And in the same way a father rebukes a son, sometimes you need to rebuke people.
Yes. Is it possible that time for rebuke was a while ago

I'm just wracking my brain (and I am NO biblical scholar) trying to think of a time when someone showed love or compassion to someone else and Jesus "threw shade" on it.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did not Jesus love those that were against him? Did not Jesus say to love your enemies? To turn the other cheek?

2 John 1:10-11 NKJV
[10] If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; [11] for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

• Agree
Reactions: TheLostCoin
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So the father of Jews is Satan then? Is that the take away?
Doesn't Jesus also recognize that they ("the hypocrites") pray to God?
That’s what Jesus said-
John 8:44-45
Jesus is saying they belonged to the devil, NOT because they were NOT worshipping God, but because their theology was of the devil (placing the Works of the Law above the Natural Law, and failing to recognize Christ as the Son of God).

And as I understand it, they were signing a document that chastizes violence in the name of religion.
Is that something worth repudiation?

They said that God wills different religions, which is morally wrong.
Let’s apply this to Islam.

The Quran calls the Holy Trinity blasphemous, claims that Jesus told God that He never claimed to be the Son of God and evil people distorted His teaching, and calls for the death of Jews and Christians in one specific context.
How can God Will this book for people, when His goal is to bring people to Christ?

The Quran, while having some true things in it, can’t be from God, because as John says, in 1 John 2:22, anybody who denies that Christ is the Son of God is of antichrist.
Also, Jesus says in Luke He who denies Me before men I shall deny before My Father.

I’ll go over the argument “but what about Love?” In the next section.

I'm just wracking my brain (and I am NO biblical scholar) trying to think of a time when someone showed love or compassion to someone else and Jesus "threw shade" on it.

He never did, because you have a distorted view of what love is.

Let’s say you started smoking cigarettes, and you noticed some severe side-effects to your physical health, so you asked your friend “Hey, what do you think of my smoking habits?”
If your friend, who knows that the cigarettes are negatively affecting your health, but because he wants to be with you and doesn’t ever want to create drama, says “I bet it’s nothing - I’ve heard that cigarettes can actually be healthy for to you, so don’t worry,” that friend does not love you, but only cares about himself, because he selfishly would rather see you die than have some social discomfort.

You want a friend who says “You know what, I’ve noticed that you changed since you started smoking, and you need to get your stuff together - and I’ll be here to support you.” It may create drama, but he says these things because he loves you, and he values your health over drama.

The same logic applies to the spiritual life and people who are interested on your opinions about other religions. I can’t say that Islam is something as good as Christianity or say that it isn’t flawed, or say that the Quran doesn’t have blasphemous statements or wrong moral teachings, for if I do, I place my own interests above God and above my friend.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The current Rohingya Crisis has been called one of the worst humanitarian crisis in recent history with 10,000+ Rohingya people being killed, widespread gang rapes and other forms of sexual violence against the Rohingya women and girls, and close to one million displaced.

Done by Buddhists. But not for the sake of Buddhism, nor using Buddhist justification. Not comparable to "Islamic State" activities or similar in that regard..

Here is an alternative take on the "Rohingya Crisis".

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That’s what Jesus said-
John 8:44-45
Jesus is saying they belonged to the devil, NOT because they were NOT worshipping God, but because their theology was of the devil (placing the Works of the Law above the Natural Law, and failing to recognize Christ as the Son of God).

They said that God wills different religions, which is morally wrong.
Let’s apply this to Islam.

The Quran calls the Holy Trinity blasphemous, claims that Jesus told God that He never claimed to be the Son of God and evil people distorted His teaching, and calls for the death of Jews and Christians in one specific context.
How can God Will this book for people, when His goal is to bring people to Christ?

The Quran, while having some true things in it, can’t be from God, because as John says, in 1 John 2:22, anybody who denies that Christ is the Son of God is of antichrist.
Also, Jesus says in Luke He who denies Me before men I shall deny before My Father.[/QUOTE]We are still called to love our enemies. So, does that mean we just say we love them and then we tell them they are wrong. I'm curious: What does showing your love to a Muslim person look like? Cause Jesus hung out with and showed love to all manner of miscreants and sinners. And my guess is that he didn't do too much more with them than tell them the good news of his Love and his Redemption.
Do you believe Jesus would brow beat the people who shared his message with?

He never did, because you have a distorted view of what love is.

Let’s say you started smoking cigarettes, and you noticed some severe side-effects to your physical health, so you asked your friend “Hey, what do you think of my smoking habits?”
If your friend, who knows that the cigarettes are negatively affecting your health, but because he wants to be with you and doesn’t ever want to create drama, says “I bet it’s nothing - I’ve heard that cigarettes can actually be healthy for to you, so don’t worry,” that friend does not love you, but only cares about himself, because he selfishly would rather see you die than have some social discomfort.

You want a friend who says “You know what, I’ve noticed that you changed since you started smoking, and you need to get your stuff together - and I’ll be here to support you.” It may create drama, but he says these things because he loves you, and he values your health over drama.

The same logic applies to the spiritual life and people who are interested on your opinions about other religions. I can’t say that Islam is something as good as Christianity or say that it isn’t flawed, or say that the Quran doesn’t have blasphemous statements or wrong moral teachings, for if I do, I place my own interests above God and above my friend.
I don't have a distorted view of what love it. I have an expansive view of love. My view of love does not focus on other's detriments and how far away they are or may be from God. That does not mean I don't provide my friend with advice when it is sought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums