Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Pope Francis’ controversial support for same-sex civil unions has found its fair share of critics in the United States."

Bishop Thomas Tobin of Providence, R.I., was one of the first leaders to come out with a public criticism of the pope’s statements.

“The Pope’s statement clearly contradicts what has been the long-standing teaching of the Church about same-sex unions,” Tobin said in a statement. “The Church cannot support the acceptance of objectively immoral relationships.”

Ed Mechmann, an official spokesman for the Archdiocese of New York, wrote a direct rebuke of the pope’s statement in a piece called “Dealing with Papal Mistakes.”

from: US cardinals criticize Pope Francis endorsement of same-sex unions

Is it possible there are large sections of the Catholic Church that do not agree with Pope Francis on this?

=======================

Interesting comment on this thread - needs to be highlighted.

Same sex adoption is still a very contentious issue for many, however the reality is that for many years a lot of children have been adopted by same sex parents and civil unions provide them various rights including inheritances, educational grants, and more.

Indeed - this goes right to that point.

Last edited:

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With his latest appointment of 13 cardinals, 60% of the cardinals who are young enough to vote for his successor were now appointed by Francis.
He may be getting ready to retire. I for one will miss his compassion, humility, and generosity tremendously.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Pope Francis’ controversial support for same-sex civil unions has found its fair share of critics in the United States."

Is it possible there are large sections of the Catholic Church that do not agree with Pope Francis on this?
He has gotten a lot of push-back internationally and not just from the USA. He had a bad private opinion.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I dunno know about 80% but at least from my own experience, it seems that the percentage of Catholic priests who are gay is way higher than in the general population. But I can't really say for sure. Many priests I know just come off as pretty feminine, I don't honestly know if they are gay so I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

No, I don't think that it's possible to say that "Large sections" of Catholics disagree with the Pope on this issue.
It would be more correct to say "some politically liberal segments of Catholics agree with the Pope on this issue", because the agreement originates from the realm of politics, and not that of religious beliefs.

In fact, the Catholic Church has for the last few years taken an active stance in the recompense to victims of inappropriate clerical sexual advances towards those members of the Catholic Church, that have amounted into the millions of dollars, and the defrocking and relocation of the offenders.

So it would be more accurate to say that many Catholics see this latest incident as a regrettable and a bit worrisome utterance from the Pope.

Moves in that direction by the Pope have already been noted, and have resulted in criticism from high-placed clergy in past years.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I've always appreciated Catholicism's stand on moral issues, even if there have been great moral failings. I am not catholic and I have issues with a number of catholic doctrines. But to see the pope throw truth out of the window is sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You would think the Pope's opinion would be more representative of Catholicism than folks on an internet forum though? :sorry:
His opinions are his own. We shall see if he destroys the Catholic Church or not. I'm hoping the Holy Spirit has an opinion on that.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,198.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would think the Pope's opinion would be more representative of Catholicism than folks on an internet forum though? :sorry:
I would think the Pope's opinion ARE representative of the typical Catholic. It goes to show how lost these typical Catholics are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,198.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the advantages of multi-denominational Protestant churches is, it doesn't allow a single person to screw up God's earthly Church as a whole!

If only RCC exists, then a pope can bring it down single handedly.
Christ's Church has endured much worse. She is still around for close to 2,000 years despite despite internal and external forces aimed at destroying her.

Reactions: Valletta
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
One of the advantages of multi-denominational Protestant churches is, it doesn't allow a single person to screw up God's earthly Church as a whole!

If only RCC exists, then a pope can bring it down single handedly.

Technically the Christian church is composed of all denominations including the "RCC "as you abbreviate the name for it. Therefore it is still true that no matter what any one of them says (including the RCC) we do not expet "all of them" to simply "buy into it" without first looking.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does the term, as you're using it, refer to the same idea as the more common one, "Non-denominational?"

If so, there would be only one congregation to screw up and bring down, wouldn't there?

Upvote 0