Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Not necessarily, you are discounting the fallen angels, which according to the Book of Enoch(ancient Jewish writings) were responsible for teaching man all kinds of knowlege which G-d didn't intend for man to have, and there are connections in scripture that coincide with this Book:

"1. And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. 2. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjâzâ taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, Armârôs the resolving of enchantments, Barâqîjâl, (taught) astrology, Kôkabêl the constellations, Ezêqêêl the knowledge of the clouds, , and Sariêl the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven . . ."

Your are absolutely right and the book of Enoch is referenced in the Bible!!!

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
The end of the chapter concludes "therefore if...". IF eating will cause someone to stumble THEN better not to eat any.

Message of 1 Corinthians, David Prior:
"If the Christian church at Corinth was going to cut ice in the rampant paganism of such a licentious sea-port, the Christians needed to be less rather than more sensitive over 'doubtful things'. Paul wanted the life of faith to extend its frontiers into every dark alley and moral cess-pit in Corinth. This required more robust consciences than many Christians, either at Corinth or at Rome, could muster. Therefore everyone had to be patient, non-judgmental, sensitive, and absolutely committed to building up the life of the Christian community as a whole."

As many have you read I was dead set against Ebia and I Corinithians chapter 8 on his outlook on whether we should eat the meat of an animal sacrificed to a false idol. I was dead set against it and thought I knew I was right...Well guess what I have big enough shoulders to admit i was wrong and Ebia was right!!! Paul was just saying that if it offends your fellow christian or the weaker we should probably not partake....but now I realize first of all that he was not saying not to eat the meat... he was just saying if it offends or stumbles!! Ebia clearly stated that he would not partake if it offended or stumbled someone else!! I now say hey why not partake the animal came from Christ's creation and when we eat it before we take a bite we say thank the Lord Jesus Christ for this meat in front of the heathens...it might make them take a second look...so I deeply apologize Ebia for my obsitnance last night...I took time to pray, get council from my pastor and read it completely and you were correct!! I hope you got my private message about it to you and hope you can forgive me!! God Bless you!!:):):)

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Avelina777 said:
As many have you read I was dead set against Ebia and I Corinithians chapter 8 on his outlook on whether we should eat the meat of an animal sacrificed to a false idol. I was dead set against it and thought I knew I was right...Well guess what I have big enough shoulders to admit i was wrong and Ebia was right!!! Paul was just saying that if it offends your fellow christian or the weaker we should probably not partake....but now I realize first of all that he was not saying not to eat the meat... he was just saying if it offends or stumbles!! Ebia clearly stated that he would not partake if it offended or stumbled someone else!! I now say hey why not partake the animal came from Christ's creation and when we eat it before we take a bite we say thank the Lord Jesus Christ for this meat in front of the heathens...it might make them take a second look...so I deeply apologize Ebia for my obsitnance last night...I took time to pray, get council from my pastor and read it completely and you were correct!! I hope you got my private message about it to you and hope you can forgive me!! God Bless you!!:):):)

No worries. We all need others to challenge what we think we know so that we can grow.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok YD I understand where you are coming from, just didn't like some of the comments pertaining to it...that is my thoughts, I am not condeming the pope!!:)
Then why were you cheering those that were making false statements about the Pope? You also made statements aimed directly at the Pope, which I pointed out to you, accusing him of saying things which he did not say. I haven't seen you recant those accusations and if you have, please show me them and I'll certainly apologize.

Trying to get people to stop killing each other is not okaying the false religions which they believe in.

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Then why were you cheering those that were making false statements about the Pope? You also made statements aimed directly at the Pope, which I pointed out to you, accusing him of saying things which he did not say. I haven't seen you recant those accusations and if you have, please show me them and I'll certainly apologize.

Trying to get people to stop killing each other is not okaying the false religions which they believe in.

I'm sorry if i offended you, I just dont condone the lifestyle of the voodoo culture and I'm saying the Pope does, so if that is how it came across I apologize, I just dont condone the lifestyle, I hope that brings you some resolution to this...let me know!! Like I said I can't agree on everything but what Ebia pointed out I was wrong.. Listen I am no pastor and am very educated student, I consulted my pastor about what Ebia was saying and apologized!! I don't know what you want from me yarddog, but I think you can stop being maybe angry at me...we can't agree on everything...but we all agree Christ is our Lord and Savior!!

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
lifestyle of the voodoo culture

Not even sure what that is supposed to mean. Do you have the "Caribbean lifestyle" and the "West African" lifestyle? And for that matter, if we're breaking down all the derivatives it's saying you hate the "Catholic lifestyle."

Also, what Yarddog said.

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Not even sure what that is supposed to mean. Do you have the "Caribbean lifestyle" and the "West African" lifestyle? And for that matter, if we're breaking down all the derivatives it's saying you hate the "Catholic lifestyle."

Also, what Yarddog said.

Stop attacking I do not hate anything!! Once again I am responding to an open thread and I was not trying to pick on Catholics or the pope, I was just responding to what is going on with the coexist movement. I believe we should be backing each other as Christians instead of attacking other Christians, we need to focus on helping each other. I do not like religions (not speaking of the Catholic religion) that deny our Lord Jesus Christ or the trinity. Like I said before I do not agree with everything in the Catholic religion but I'm sure you don't agree with everything I believe, but we have one great commone denominator we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ... Please do not attack me I am not at all attacking you!! Peace to you!!!:)

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Stop attacking I do not hate anything!! Once again I am responding to an open thread and I was not trying to pick on Catholics or the pope, I was just responding to what is going on with the coexist movement. I believe we should be backing each other as Christians instead of attacking other Christians, we need to focus on helping each other. I do not like religions (not speaking of the Catholic religion) that deny our Lord Jesus Christ or the trinity. Like I said before I do not agree with everything in the Catholic religion but I'm sure you don't agree with everything I believe, but we have one great commone denominator we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ... Please do not attack me I am not at all attacking you!! Peace to you!!!:)

Relax deary. No attack. It's just that the way of phrasing that is odd. It's more of a dog with it's head cocked to the side reaction than outrage. Saying "Voodoo lifestyle" really doesn't mean anything.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry if i offended you, I just dont condone the lifestyle of the voodoo culture and I'm saying the Pope does, so if that is how it came across I apologize, I just dont condone the lifestyle, I hope that brings you some resolution to this...let me know!!
Did you say this the way that you meant? The Pope has not condoned the voodoo lifestyle. I hope that you left the word "not" out of that sentence.

Like I said I can't agree on everything but what Ebia pointed out I was wrong.. Listen I am no pastor and am very educated student, I consulted my pastor about what Ebia was saying and apologized!! I don't know what you want from me yarddog, but I think you can stop being maybe angry at me...we can't agree on everything...but we all agree Christ is our Lord and Savior!!
You did not do anything to me but you said false things about the Pope. You need to ask God to forgive you for saying things against one of his chosen children. The Pope, a very kind and gentle Christian would not hold anything against you either and forgiveness came before anyone anything was written because he knows that it will be done.

We need to be careful not to take something which is written, to be factual because the press will add their interpretations to their articles and I have found that in more cases than not, their feeling are not correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Did you say this the way that you meant? The Pope has not condoned the voodoo lifestyle. I hope that you left the word "not" out of that sentence.

You did not do anything to me but you said false things about the Pope. You need to ask God to forgive you for saying things against one of his chosen children. The Pope, a very kind and gentle Christian would not hold anything against you either and forgiveness came before anyone anything was written because he knows that it will be done.

We need to be careful not to take something which is written, to be factual because the press will add their interpretations to their articles and I have found that in more cases than not, their feeling are not correct.

My quote was to say he was not condoning it...accepting it maybe, but saying hey its ok...I hope I worded that right YD..God Bless you!!!

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Relax deary. No attack. It's just that the way of phrasing that is odd. It's more of a dog with it's head cocked to the side reaction than outrage. Saying "Voodoo lifestyle" really doesn't mean anything.

Im sorry I just meant the pagan worship attached to it, again not saying the pope said lets have a pagan party, I didn't. So if that is how it came across I apologize!!

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Im sorry I just meant the pagan worship attached to it, again not saying the pope said lets have a pagan party, I didn't. So if that is how it came across I apologize!!

*Shrugs* I wouldn't call West African and local Caribbean island culture/religion pagan but I doubt that changes anything.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Avelina777 said:

Benedict certainly is not an enthusiast for pagan worship nor syncretism. Nor does he regard all religions as equal. You need to worry on that score.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My quote was to say he was not condoning it...accepting it maybe, but saying hey its ok...I hope I worded that right YD..God Bless you!!!
No, why do you consider that he was accepting it? Voodoo leaders are hoping that the Catholic Church will ease up on them. That does not sound like any form of accepting the religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Benedict certainly is not an enthusiast for pagan worship nor syncretism. Nor does he regard all religions as equal. You need to worry on that score.

That is great!! Thanks Ebia...I find it hard to explain to the previous poster what I mean about voodoo...not pertaining to the pope, it is actually way off topic, but they do practice pagan things...again nothing to do with the pope!!! Maybe you could help me with this explanation of what I mean concerning the ones that do not follow Christ...any help would be appreciated and I know again this is way off topic, i have tried to explain what I mean about voodoo and people think I'm crazy, I have seen it first hand, I have been to the Carribean quite a few times and been to Africa, it is scary some of the things you see!

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
No, why do you consider that he was accepting it? Voodoo leaders are hoping that the Catholic Church will ease up on them. That does not sound like any form of accepting the religion.

YD I am not saying he accepted their religion...I was saying he accepted their culture..maybe you can help me with this question why do voodoo leaders want the catholic church to ease up??

Upvote 0

Avelina777

Hearer of Faith
Nov 2, 2011
✟10,588.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
*Shrugs* I wouldn't call West African and local Caribbean island culture/religion pagan but I doubt that changes anything.

Not all of it is pagan just the voodoo aspect thats all!! I have met many Christians in those areas and they are very kind!!!

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Not all of it is pagan just the voodoo aspect thats all!! I have met many Christians in those areas and they are very kind!!!

What I am refering to is I think "pagan" and "paganism" are stupid, inaccurate terms.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Avelina777 said:

Some of the issue may be using "voodoo" to mean different things. On the one hand it can be used to mean a particular set of religious/spiritual beliefs and practices. On the other hand it can include wider cultural issues - say food or clothing. And even within any religious system they will be some aspects that are shared with Christianity that can be used to further mutual understanding and the spread of the gospel.

Blanket condemnations of something doesn't achieve much that's positive. It just drives wedges between peoples and builds a seige mentality in both communities. It might seem safer but (a) it doesn't work as countless religious wars have shown and (b) the gospel is risky - it required meeting people and communities where they are.

Careful dialog, looking for positives and affirming them while challenging negatives and proclaiming the missing ingredient often does.

Upvote 0