Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
“The principal point…of the law…is to make men not better but worse; that is to say, it sheweth unto them their sin, that by the knowledge thereof they may be humbled, terrified, bruised and broken, and by this means may be driven to seek grace, and so come to that blessed Seed (Christ).”

- Dr. Luther

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“The principal point…of the law…is to make men not better but worse; that is to say, it sheweth unto them their sin, that by the knowledge thereof they may be humbled, terrified, bruised and broken, and by this means may be driven to seek grace, and so come to that blessed Seed (Christ).”

- Dr. Luther
Nice to see you around Pastor.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

- Dr. Luther
Completely correct!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 2: NASB

15“We are Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles;16nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.17“But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a minister of sin? May it never be! 18“For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19“For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21“I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

- Dr. Luther

I think the point of the law is to tell what is wrong and how bad the wrong thing is, by telling what one would deserve, if he brakes the law.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

- Dr. Luther

I disagree. I do not think this is the point of the law, I think this is a result. God didn't decide to give a law just to show us we are bad. His law is for us to know what his standard is. It is by the knowledge of this that we realize how far off we are.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟484,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does that mean logically though. Do you believe God wanted people to increase their sinning?

Good Day, PK

No I do not, the Law exposes sin so it increases the knowledge of sin as sin.

In Him,
Bill

• Agree
Reactions: PROPHECYKID
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith." (Gal3:24)

God is a God of absolute and perfect Justice. We can see this when we look at how fine tuned the Universe is. God expects us to be Just before Him. The Grace of God gives us all we need so that we can live the life we are called to live. "in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us". (Romans8:37) There are plenty of challenges in life. Through the Grace of God we overcome them all.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

- Dr. Luther

The primary purpose of giving someone instructions is to teach them how to do something, not to condemn them for not following those instructions. God's ways are His character traits and there are many verses that describe the point of the Mosaic Law as teaching us how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others, so the point of God's Law was to teach us about who God is and how to act as a light to the nations through teaching them about who God is. So God's nature is the mark and Jesus is the exact imprint of God's nature, so he is the mark, and through teaching us how to hit the mark, the Law also indirectly teaches us about what it means to miss the mark, and sin is missing the mark. The point of revealing our sin is to lead us to repent and back to walking God's ways through faith.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Good Day, PK

No I do not, the Law exposes sin so it increases the knowledge of sin as sin.

In Him,
Bill

In Romans 7:7, it says that God's Law is not sinful, but that it was given to reveal what sin is, and when our sin is revealed, then that should lead us to repent and cause sin to decrease. However, Romans 5:20 is speaking about a law that is sinful, which causes sin to increase, so it is speaking about a law that is the opposite of God's Law. In Romans 7:12-25, Paul said that he delighted in obeying God's Law and served it with his mind, but contrasted that with the law of sin, which held him captive, which caused him not to do the good of obeying God's Law that he wanted to do, which which he served with his flesh, so Romans 5:20 is referring to the law of sin, not to God's Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums