United States
✟8,469.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just for the past few months I've been feeling like I've been missing something in my life. I'd like to think I was a Christian when I was younger around early middle school. As time went on I gradually became more and more skeptical per say and in turn drifted away from Christianity. Since then to around last year I was rather atheistic and had made some regrettable remarks about Christianity and God. However now, I have become less of an atheist in my beliefs and have been struggling with my beliefs as about God. Part of what is on mind is just wondering why would God make people like myself struggle with things like this and more. I don't really know what to believe anymore as both sides of are quite split.

Reactions: crossnote

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well God doesn't make you struggle. The struggle comes as being part of a sinful world. Because of Adam and Eve used fee will and bit the apple, they let sin in the world. Now our bodies die, we can get sick, we can kill each other, we have trials....etc. And while we were doomed, God with all His love knew He couldn't change things and force things to change. However He could send someone (Jesus) as a life preserver so after we can get new and better bodies (well once the new earth is formed).

So to be blunt. Life isn't always fair. And the devil is good at pulling us away from God by making us ask questions about God. This way when you die the devil gets you. I mean he doens't even need you nor cares about you. But every person he can get means one less for God. Which makes the devil happy. Though he will still lose in the end despite thinking hes more powerful then God.

I went through my phase to of questioning God. Though through it deep down I still knew God was real. And I've seen to many miracles to really question Him since then. Such as the baby born with only 2% of his brain. Docs said he wouldn't function/live. And yet now (forgot his age) hes not a only alive but his brain has grown and is 28% larger!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part of what is on mind is just wondering why would God make people like myself struggle with things like this and more. I don't really know what to believe anymore as both sides of are quite split.
I grew up under an atheistic step dad, a secular school system and a couple of Jewish school friends.
When the Lord was drawing me to Him, I went through excruciating mental turmoil trying to sort out what's what and yet His grace came through and prevailed in the end.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just for the past few months I've been feeling like I've been missing something in my life. I'd like to think I was a Christian when I was younger around early middle school. As time went on I gradually became more and more skeptical per say and in turn drifted away from Christianity. Since then to around last year I was rather atheistic and had made some regrettable remarks about Christianity and God. However now, I have become less of an atheist in my beliefs and have been struggling with my beliefs as about God. Part of what is on mind is just wondering why would God make people like myself struggle with things like this and more. I don't really know what to believe anymore as both sides of are quite split.

Chillguy,

I think most of us struggle with religious faith, Chillguy, so you aren't really in any kind of 'real' minority. Most people find it hard to agree about all kind of things, or they find it difficult to admit they don't actually agree with everyone around them. A lot of that is common; and a lot of that is, to some degree, normal. What isn't normal is for Christians to beat each other up, whether physically or emotionally, when they disagree. When we do, we tend to become defensive about it; and we become bitter rather than better.

In your thinking about the truth of Christianity, you might find that despite the fact that many denominations say some different things, they have some things in common. And you may want to realize that views about God and even about Jesus and the Holy Spirit can be morphed into a variety of articulations and understandings because no two human brains are identical, nor do they process information in identical ways. Thus, each person can have different perspectives or emotions about the various 'official doctrines.'

Some diversity in thought among believers is alright to have, and in some cases, it may even be beneficial in that it spurs people on to think more deeply about God and the Truth that God Himself has revealed to us, which in itself is a limited, non-comprehensive amount of information.

We should also expect some small portion of doctrine to be common in ALL Christian denominations, and acceptable to ALL believers. In fact, we do. One such doctrine is that of the Trinity. Another is the ordinance of the Lord's Supper. Yet another is the ordinance of Baptism. Yet another is the importance of the written revelation produced by God's inspired spokesmen (i.e. the Bible). Of course, the application and inferred meanings about these central ideas of faith can have diverse definitions, but the essential core is still there.

I don't think this should be surprising, being that Jesus seems to have inferred that we should expect our theological stock to contain some old traditional ideas, as well as to have room for new insights as they come about among various Christians. We just have be to willing to be accountable for what we hold as truth, and we have to be willing to make amendments to our understanding as we may learn new ideas, data, and truth.

So, relax. Take a slow, deep breath in...and try not to see Christian faith so much as an exacting assent to super-specific theological ideals, but rather as an expansive spiritual journey that takes you into the presence of the Holy Trinity (the Lord), His people, and into and throughout His world and universe. All the way along, you'll find Jesus waiting there for you.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chillguy

Feb 24, 2017
United States
✟8,469.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I grew up under an atheistic step dad, a secular school system and a couple of Jewish school friends.
When the Lord was drawing me to Him, I went through excruciating mental turmoil trying to sort out what's what and yet His grace came through and prevailed in the end.

Hey, thanks for sharing a similar situation to mine. I hope that I too can come to resolution with God. How old were you when you finally became a Christian if you don't mind me asking.

Upvote 0

chillguy

Feb 24, 2017
United States
✟8,469.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The struggle comes as being part of a sinful world. Because of Adam and Eve used fee will and bit the apple, they let sin in the world. Now our bodies die, we can get sick, we can kill each other, we have trials....etc. And while we were doomed, God with all His love knew He couldn't change things and force things to change. However He could send someone (Jesus) as a life preserver so after we can get new and better bodies (well once the new earth is formed).

What do we do about sin? I've never really thought of myself as a sinner as most of the time I just kind of keep to myself. But I guess now that I think about it I have done some things like watch inappropriate content and other stuff. Nonetheless, do we just pray and keep moving forward or is there more to it?

So to be blunt. Life isn't always fair. And the devil is good at pulling us away from God by making us ask questions about God. This way when you die the devil gets you. I mean he doens't even need you nor cares about you. But every person he can get means one less for God. Which makes the devil happy. Though he will still lose in the end despite thinking hes more powerful then God.

Is asking questions about God inherently bad or is it using those questions to instill doubt about God bad? Also, without God does the Devil have any hold on me or others or do I have to purposely open myself up to him. Another thing is I'm wondering is it just the devil doing this or him and other malignant entities? More or less, how much power does the Devil and his followers have?

Also the story you mentioned about the boy is good to hear and heartwarming so thanks.

Upvote 0

chillguy

Feb 24, 2017
United States
✟8,469.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chillguy,

I think most of us struggle with religious faith, Chillguy, so you aren't really in any kind of 'real' minority. Most people find it hard to agree about all kind of things, or they find it difficult to admit they don't actually agree with everyone around them. A lot of that is common; and a lot of that is, to some degree, normal. What isn't normal is for Christians to beat each other up, whether physically or emotionally, when they disagree. When we do, we tend to become defensive about it; and we become bitter rather than better.

In your thinking about the truth of Christianity, you might find that despite the fact that many denominations say some different things, they have some things in common. And you may want to realize that views about God and even about Jesus and the Holy Spirit can be morphed into a variety of articulations and understandings because no two human brains are identical, nor do they process information in identical ways. Thus, each person can have different perspectives or emotions about the various 'official doctrines.'

Some diversity in thought among believers is alright to have, and in some cases, it may even be beneficial in that it spurs people on to think more deeply about God and the Truth that God Himself has revealed to us, which in itself is a limited, non-comprehensive amount of information.

Yeah you are right about that understanding doesn't have to be the same. Kind of related but how come there was so much fighting in the past over which faith or denomination you were?

I don't think this should be surprising, being that Jesus seems to have inferred that we should expect our theological stock to contain some old traditional ideas, as well as to have room for new insights as they come about among various Christians. We just have be to willing to be accountable for what we hold as truth, and we have to be willing to make amendments to our understanding as we may learn new ideas, data, and truth.

So, relax. Take a slow, deep breath in...and try not to see Christian faith so much as an exacting assent to super-specific theological ideals, but rather as an expansive spiritual journey that takes you into the presence of the Holy Trinity (the Lord), His people, and into and throughout His world and universe. All the way along, you'll find Jesus waiting there for you.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Thanks for the information and I will definitely take what you've said into heart.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah you are right about that understanding doesn't have to be the same. Kind of related but how come there was so much fighting in the past over which faith or denomination you were?
As I mentioned previously, no one person has identical brain processes or emotional capacities, so as for anything, and not just for religious ideals, people may disagree over things, or feel differently about an idea they hold in common. Some of this is normal; but what isn't normal is when Christians resort to extreme violence to beat each other up in the name of Christ.

Thanks for the information and I will definitely take what you've said into heart.
You're welcome. Best wishes.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, thanks for sharing a similar situation to mine. I hope that I too can come to resolution with God. How old were you when you finally became a Christian if you don't mind me asking.
No problem. I was 25. The mental turmoil lasted about 3 weeks but it was the most intense I had ever felt before that time or ever since...and I am 68 now.
Coincidentally, it was also the first time I was starting to look into the Scriptures.

Reactions: Satanist.
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Scripture speaks of "quickening", which is awakening, making alive unto God; and I believe that is God speaking to the heart and conscience of man ---firm atheists hate that in their conscience, but is really the grace of God. It appears God has been and is speaking to you, friend, and Satan doesn't like that. The only way you can deal with this is to either value God's voice and immutable Word ---and His "...great salvation" in Christ (Heb. 2:3), or yield to Satan and turn away ---the latter leading to eternal condemnation. The issue for you to resolve is to whether you want the Savior and His "exceeding great and precious promises" and receive the blessings God wants to give you in Jesus, the Christ. Have you read John 14?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums