everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As with many things Anglican, I expect to get different answers from you all. Complicating the issue is that "mystic" and "mysticism" can be nebulous terms themselves. I hope to hear from how Anglicans personally intuit and think about these matters and perhaps we will get a sense of an underlying folk theology.

I am less familiar with what would be recognizable as Anglican mysticism as a unique expression, although I can point to elements of the faith I would view as mystical, such as a spiritual uniting with Jesus Christ in the eucharist.

Although I have left behind the Oneness sect due to later theological incompatibilities I had with them and abuses of authority with little or no accountability in the congregations, I am strongly influenced by my Oneness Pentecostal great grandmother who has since died. Do not mistake me for a charismatic. I do not engage with tongues speaking, miraculous healings, or other such matters, though I reserve judgment in individual cases about these things.

But my grandmother was saturated in a religious life. Whatever we as Anglicans may think of these matters, my grandmother went into long trances and euphorias. She prayed all through the day, while eating, while washing dishes, whatever. She taught me how to pray without ceasing.

I was taught to take a break between each math problem in school just to say, "Jesus, Jesus!" under my breath; this practice came from my grandmother.

Now Pentecostalism emphasized works to a degree that good works were at least implied to be necessary for salvation, though some will be more traditionally Protestant in emphasis on this matter. But my great grandparents emphasized works.

Later of course I would move into Anglicanism and discover that in the homilies while good works are praised as evidence of the fruit of the spirit very much, they are regarded as ineffectual in obtaining the favor of salvation.

Like my grandmother, my life is saturated with religion, religious thoughts, and prayer, but in a liturgical format. But as to works and salvation, I have arrived at a paradox: workless works or effortless works. My works in themselves will not save me, but by surrender to God's Will as my grandmother taught me, our wills become conformed gradually to his, and our thoughts, efforts, and desires arise from a more spacious, relaxed, and passive place within ourselves.

This is an experiential insight I arrived at over time having a background in both Oneness Pentecostalism and Anglicanism. I have no idea if it is considered heretical by some, and I am not claiming to be a professional theologian, either.

My experience of Anglicanism, which is admittedly not my lifelong spiritual practice, is of being carried along by God's grace in our works, and not being too discouraged or obsessed with our particular sins, but being caught up into God's grace through reading of scripture, sacraments, private, and public prayer.

As I use the term mysticism, I believe there is a high valuing of personal experience with God. Catholics honor this too but have safeguards in a way that would not be feasible in Anglicanism. Personally, I take whatever spiritual benefit and fruit from my personal experiences in my relationship with God that I can glean from them, and otherwise do not much dwell on even my own personal experiences.

What say you? How do you understand mysticism, and is there a place in Anglicanism for it? Do you value personal experiences with God, and if you do, how do you safeguard from being led amiss by experiences possibly mixed with bias?

I am not sure how fully Anglican my brand of mysticism is. Not that I haven't striven for theological consistency, but I must admit to myself that I truly don't know because no doubt the Oneness Pentecostalism of my formative years continues to shape me no matter how different my religious practice may look today.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find with seeking mysticism in Christianity, it helps to weed out experiences that were not God but probably magic or something similar using Christian worship elements. Praying to discern is important because only you were there experiencing that moment as you did.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
*My forthcoming statement is only my personal practice and not official Anglican teaching*

I am of the ‘probably bad’ habit of trying to determine God’s current will for my life by the good or bad day I’m having. I wouldn’t recommend it for it doesn’t seem to sprout much fruit yet here I trod on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What say you? How do you understand mysticism, and is there a place in Anglicanism for it? Do you value personal experiences with God, and if you do, how do you safeguard from being led amiss by experiences possibly mixed with bias?

I'm not sure that I have a systematic understanding of mysticism. I don't think of myself as much of a mystic, but I have seen others who do thrive in Anglicanism (often in monastic life) so I definitely think there's a place in Anglicanism for it.

I do value personal experiences with God - they're what makes faith more than a matter of intellectual assent, for me - but they sit within a framework of faith shaped by Scripture, by Creeds, by the liturgy. I don't know if that's a helpful answer?

Reactions: HardHead
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I think a degree of mysticism is not unwarranted. I think Gregory Palamas went a bit off the rails with hesychasm. And I don't condone necromancy as Bp. Pike attempted. But there are some people who are more in tune or receptive to the spiritual world. I think children are naturally more receptive to it. As adults, we learn to shut off the channels.

I remember a particular occasion after my wife died when my older daughter said, "There are six people in the house tonight." Now, I could see myself, her, and the little one. But I did not discount her word. I just wondered who the other three people were: hopefully angels.

Upvote 0

A Shield of Turquoise

Apr 29, 2019
Southeastern Pennsylvania
✟15,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mysticism is a really broad term- so broad that it's hard to really practice any kind of Christianity without some mysticism sneaking in. Basically it's the quest/ longing for union with God, however that might be defined. In that sense mysticism is in the scriptures and in the Book of Common Prayer. Anyone deep in patristics, as many of the Caroline divines were, would naturally be inclined toward this tendency.

Among Anglican figures who would be specifically called mystics, one of the most important was the priest William Law whose book A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life inspired John and Charles Wesley among others . However it was after he discovered the works of Jacob Boehme that Law really entered his "mystical" phase, which can be seen in sublime and speculative books like The Spirit of Prayer. Many of his fellow Anglicans, especially on the evangelical end of the spectrum, thought William Law really went off the rails at this point, but he really remained basically orthodox.

John Wesley has highly critical of this later phase of William Law but I think it can be fairly said that John Wesley was a bit of a mystic himself, albeit of a much more down-to-earth sort.

Other Anglican mystics would include many of the Anglo-Catholic movement, such as Evelyn Underhill. One of Evelyn Underhill's friends, the great author of supernatural horror stories, Arthur Machen, was an Anglo-Catholic mystic (and something of an occultist too).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I remember a particular occasion after my wife died when my older daughter said, "There are six people in the house tonight." Now, I could see myself, her, and the little one. But I did not discount her word. I just wondered who the other three people were: hopefully angels.
I once asked a pastor why, in his judgment, it is so often children who report such sightings. I meant, of course, that this might suggest that the phenomenon is a function of the imaginations of the young.

His reply: "Perhaps it's only the children who CAN see them."

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
often in monastic life
I think this is an important, if not vital, aspect of this. The monastic focus on the spiritual and their inevitable battle sharpens their skills in discernment and allows them to see a good mystical/spiritual experience vs. an evil one.

Personally, I believe that all bishops (Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican, Coptic, etc.) should be former monastics with a fair bit of experience in that practice. I say former because I can't see how being a practicing bishop can be done in isolation. I am not sure if this requirement of being a former monastic exists or not, but it should if it does not.

Overall, for me, all of this centers on the Holy Spirit in all cases if it is to be called good in some way. In this sense Christianity is literally Spiritual even in the non-monastic laity mainstream. A spiritual experience without the Holy Spirit makes no sense to me. This is why going to church exists, in my opinion. Church is where we hope to find what is Holy and good so that we can experience it.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In that sense mysticism is in the scriptures and in the Book of Common Prayer.

Exactly right. Well said. Prayer in seeking communion with God is certainly the key. (I'm not pointing to a specific kind of communion of any one denomination. I'm only saying this in general.)

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I believe that all bishops (Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican, Coptic, etc.) should be former monastics with a fair bit of experience in that practice. I say former because I can't see how being a practicing bishop can be done in isolation. I am not sure if this requirement of being a former monastic exists or not, but it should if it does not.

This requirement does not exist in Anglicanism, and, practically speaking, would be very difficult to sustain, due to the very small numbers of people taking up monastic life. I would also be concerned were we to have no bishops who had experience of marriage and family life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry for the brevity. I was distracted for a bit. I did not mean to be dismissive.

My answer is what it is because of my perception of the spiritual depth that monastics have built up. I see the spiritual state of monastics as being at a higher level than the laity and even most clergy have reached.

I certainly get your argument of someone being in a high position (i.e. bishop) needing to know how life is in the world in order to be able to lead in the world.

I simply think that a different and probably greater spiritual depth is needed as a priority. Spiritual guidance is perhaps the main point that is provided in a church.

The compromise for me would be that someone in the office of deacon, priest, or even higher level (whatever that may be) should be allowed to marry, have a family, etc. but that specifically bishops should have a different and arguably higher spiritual standard to achieve.

I don't think gender matters in this at all but a monastic's meditation, a separation from the world, and a discernment in the spiritual battle certainly does, to me at least.

I could be completely wrong in this. It is just how it seems to me right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough.

My sense of it, on the flip side, is that it's not even just about how life is in the world; but if a bishop is going to provide pastoral care to clergy, for example, it helps if that bishop understands something of the pressures and issues their clergy face. If none of the bishops have ever been married, what will they know of what it is to try to care for your family as well as your parish? That sort of thing.

I think diversity is good; ideally we would have a college of bishops some of whom would be monastics, some of whom would be parents and grandparents, some of whom would be academics, some of whom would have run parishes, and so on and so on; so that together their oversight has richness and depth to it.

But my impression is that finding the right people to be our bishops is not an easy task in the first place, so I'm rather glad it's above my pay grade, so to speak!

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
try to care for your family as well as your parish?
To me this is being in the world. This distraction is part of what I was getting at.

their oversight has richness and depth to it
This is not a bad point. I think that you risk dilution in this scheme as much as you build a broad base. My point is to pick a priority in this method.

finding the right people to be our bishops is not an easy task
Agreed.

it's above my pay grade
I disagree on this. Who do you possibly need to be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To me this is being in the world. This distraction is part of what I was getting at.

Except for most of us it's not distraction. It is the very fabric of living a faithful Christian life, and the context within which all of our spiritual wisdom and depth is most needed.

I disagree on this. Who do you possibly need to be?

On the episcopal appointments committee (or whatever the name is of the committee who puts forward names for election/consecration). As but a humble parish priest of not that many years' standing, I'm not likely to be on such a committee any time soon!

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except for most of us it's not distraction.
I think discernment is needed here so I disagree. Its a distraction in my view. It may be necessary in some practical pastoral way as you suggest but its a distraction. This can be handled by putting restrictions on certain clergy. To me this is the bishops.

episcopal appointments committee
That is unfortunate. Politics are not easy to deal with. Most workplaces are not democracies.

You are in Australia? I just realized that you are probably responding to my posts from the future. Its not Friday yet in Ontario. Is the future cool? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IThat is unfortunate. Politics are not easy to deal with. Most workplaces are not democracies.

We have synodical governance, which is not exactly democratic but does place a high value on participation from across the life of the diocese.

You are in Australia? I just realized that you are probably responding to my posts from the future. Its not Friday yet in Ontario. Is the future cool? :)

It's a bit after 1pm Friday here. It's a pleasant spring day, (so is that six months into the future for you, too?) and I'm winding down after a very demanding week and looking forward to a day off tomorrow. All in all, my corner of the future is going well. :)

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a pleasant spring day
I forgot about the seasons flipping part! Nice.

I'm contemplating putting snow tires onto my car. That is not mystical, Anglican, or spiritual but it is on my mind.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I thought it worth mentioning that in the US, most of the Anglican monastic orders do not require a vow of celibacy. I know of an Abbot who is married and leads a Cistercian order. I know another Abbot who logged some quality time in prison before he entered the monastic life. Anglican monasticism in the US is a wild frontier.

Upvote 0