The place of 'Good Works' in the Christian life.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not what we do moment to moment. But at the same time there must be an overall positive difference between believer and unbeliver in terms of faith, hope, and love.
True but that difference is really only known to God. I know Christians who will laud those they think excel in virtue while condemning as unChristian, those who have major habitual sin in their lives. It's like CS Lewis once opined that the good we see in others might be no more than a pleasant disposition and the sin we see in others still, is not the sin they would be guilty of if Christ wasn't working in them.
Our wills are only involved in that we can refuse to consent, to cooperate. We can open the door or keep it closed, or close it at any point later on.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." John 15:5-6
Opening the door is more than resisting isn't it?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
To the sects you are referring to, the answer would sadly be yes.

The real truth is we are saved for good works not because of good works.

Peace be to all those in the body of Christ
It's easy to become confused by this.I remember believing growing up that we are separated based upon our works. But someone pointed out to me that the sheep were already sheep and the goats were already goats; separated right and left before they were judged on their works. This question always confused me too when I was a Roman Catholic. A baptized baby is saved by grace alone. Works do not enter the salvation equation. I use to believe as a Roman Catholic that so long as you didn't fall away (via mortal sin), you had assurance of salvation and that works were a non-issue; that we will be judged by our works but those who have the forgiveness of Christ need not fear condemnation.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's easy to become confused by this.I remember believing growing up that we are separated based upon our works. But someone pointed out to me that the sheep were already sheep and the goats were already goats; separated right and left before they were judged on their works. This question always confused me too when I was a Roman Catholic. A baptized baby is saved by grace alone. Works do not enter the salvation equation. I use to believe as a Roman Catholic that so long as you didn't fall away (via mortal sin), you had assurance of salvation and that works were a non-issue; that we will be judged by our works but those who have the forgiveness of Christ need not fear condemnation.

Baptizing babies is not biblical.

Do you believe you can have salvation without faith and repentance?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
True but that difference is really only known to God. I know Christians who will laud those they think excel in virtue while condemning as unChristian, those who have major habitual sin in their lives. It's like CS Lewis once opined that the good we see in others might be no more than a pleasant disposition and the sin we see in others still, is not the sin they would be guilty of if Christ wasn't working in them.
Well... yes, God alone knows the heart. That certainly doesn't mean the heart can't be and is not supposed to be in the right place, however, despite whatever someone else might think about it.
Opening the door is more than resisting isn't it?
Yes, opening the door is not resisting-and keeping it open is not resisting. IOW, we must remain in Him and He in us. He'll always be there-but we may part company.

It's not enough to simply say, "I believe", as if that, in itself, is sufficient to stand us apart from apparently hell-bound unbelievers. Faith is not the equivalent of holiness. And,
"...without holiness no one will see the Lord." Heb 12:14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord told us if we love Him, we will keep His commandments ( John 14:15-18) and the parable of the Good Samaritan clearly shows the role of works within salvation ( Luke 10:25-37). Matters like these, I think, fall within St. Paul telling us that we are saved by grace, through faith for good works ( Ephesians 2:8-10).

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Lord told us if we love Him, we will keep His commandments ( John 14:15-18) and the parable of the Good Samaritan clearly shows the role of works within salvation ( Luke 10:25-37). Matters like these, I think, fall within St. Paul telling us that we are saved by grace, through faith for good works ( Ephesians 2:8-10).
I agree, not "works of the law", but works of grace it could be said.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0