loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The photo that lost radio’s ‘Bible Answer Man’ thousands of listeners
For nearly three decades, Hank Hanegraaff has been the “Bible Answer Man” to millions of evangelical Christians who tune in to his Charlotte-based radio program with questions – big and small – about Scripture.

“What does the Bible teach about debt?” they ask him. “When is divorce permissible?” And – the question that gets asked the most – “Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?”

Two months ago, Hanegraaff, whose faith had long been focused on exploring the truth of a book, went through a different kind of religious experience. It was, he says, “one of the premiere moments in my life.”

On Palm Sunday, he and wife Kathy and two of their 12 children were “chrismated,” or confirmed, at St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church in southeast Charlotte. During the sacramental rite, a priest anointed them with oil and invoked the Holy Spirit.
whew! I was afraid he'd done something bad! :hrelax:
tulc(is pretty relieved) :)

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe some evangelicals will jump on this thread and elaborate a little about what's said there about how evangelicals might feel about this?
He lost listeners because his answers are no longer reliable to evangelical Christians. He now denies foundational truths to the Protestant faith.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe some evangelicals will jump on this thread and elaborate a little about what's said there about how evangelicals might feel about this?
The answer is simple, insecurity. Too many Christians are simply not comfortable with those who don't look, think, and act like they do.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He lost listeners because his answers are no longer reliable to evangelical Christians. He now denies foundational truths to the Protestant faith.
can you point out which things he's said that don't agree? or is this just guessing? :wave:
tulc(is just curious)

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
can you point out which things he's said that don't agree? or is this just guessing? :wave:
tulc(is just curious)
Assuming he is a proper Eastern Orthodox Christian, then he must reject sola Scriptura, sola fide, and various other doctrines held by Protestants. And what do you mean "is this just guessing"? There are very clear and obvious differences between evangelical Protestant Christianity and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Assuming he is a proper Eastern Orthodox Christian, then he must reject sola Scriptura, sola fide, and various other doctrines held by Protestants. And what do you mean "is this just guessing"? There are very clear and obvious differences between evangelical Protestant Christianity and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
I'm not familiar with his program, but it seems he'd still be able to answer questions about Scripture. You could not believe at all and still know Scripture well.

That's not to say they have no reason to quit his show if they expect that now he has a different take on certain things than before or something like that. But it's not like he had his knowledge of Scripture removed.

• Agree
Reactions: tstor
Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not familiar with his program, but it seems he'd still be able to answer questions about Scripture. You could not believe at all and still know Scripture well.

That's not to say they have no reason to quit his show if they expect that now he has a different take on certain things than before or something like that. But it's not like he had his knowledge of Scripture removed.
Of course. He will just have different interpretations of various passages. If I were a listener prior to his conversion, I would not be returning after.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course. He will just have different interpretations of various passages. If I were a listener prior to his conversion, I would not be returning after.
I can't listen to this sort of thing anyway, but I'd be interested to hear if it changed at all. Probably the fact of his chrismation didn't make any particular change, since he's been getting into Orthodoxy (I assume) for a while.

Well, at least he got some publicity and will gain new listeners?

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By "guessing" I mean are you so familiar with his program you can point to specific things he's said that you feel aren't Biblical. :wave:
tulc(thought Methodists and Anglicans didn't believe in Sola Scriptura either but thinks they're Protestants) :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By "guessing" I mean are you so familiar with his program you can point to specific things he's said that you feel aren't Biblical. :wave:
tulc(thought Methodists and Anglicans didn't believe in Sola Scriptura either but thinks they're Protestants) :scratch:
I think Anglicans consider themselves both Catholic and Protestant, no?

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I would point you to this video, which covers everything extremely well:

Regarding Anglicans, they are not completely Protestant. They have a history before Protestantism and that is reflected in their theology. Some Anglican traditions are more Protestant than not, but that is not really worth discussing. Methodists generally fall in line with prima Scriptura, which (in my opinion) is a perfectly reasonable position to take. As well, I do not believe it is so different from sola Scriptura in practice.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 hours? Can you just point out the parts where it specifically talks about the things Hank Hanegraaff says that are anti-Biblical? :sorry:

tulc(is just wondering) :wave:

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 hours? Can you just point out the parts where it specifically talks about the things Hank Hanegraaff says that are anti-Biblical? :sorry:
Start at the 23:40 mark. James White begins playing clips of audio from Hanegraaff and commenting.

Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian

Regarding Anglicans, they are not completely Protestant. They have a history before Protestantism and that is reflected in their theology. Some Anglican traditions are more Protestant than not, but that is not really worth discussing. Methodists generally fall in line with prima Scriptura, which (in my opinion) is a perfectly reasonable position to take. As well, I do not believe it is so different from sola Scriptura in practice.

At least most RCs are honest enough to admit that they do not accept sola Scriptura as the basis for faith and the practice of it. Hanegraaff is incoherent on the issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larry Wilgus

Aug 1, 2016
Greensboro, NC
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Respectfully, there is only one Christianity. Additional mandates only give false security to the flesh and not the spirit. "For God is a Spirit, and He longs to have sincere worshippers who worship and adore Him in the realm of the Spirit and in truth" (John 4:24).

Upvote 0

Larry Wilgus

Aug 1, 2016
Greensboro, NC
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At least most RCs are honest enough to admit that they do not accept sola Scriptura as the basis for faith and the practice of it. Hanegraaff is incoherent on the issue.

Don't you think most RCs admit they don't accept sola scriptura as the basis for faith because they have little or no knowledge of God's Word?

Upvote 0

ciesielski0

May 8, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Calvinist
The answer is simple, insecurity. Too many Christians are simply not comfortable with those who don't look, think, and act like they do.

I Do not agree with this remark in this instance because Hannegraff by joining the Eastern Orthodox Church has aligned himself with a denomination that denies sola scriptoria. That scripture alone is the foundation of our doctrine. The EO in essence is the Roman Catholic Church (lite).
Disagreements or concern in his move to the EO have nothing to do with that they are different in Look etc... but rather that their doctrine is foind wanting

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'd never heard of this personality prior to this video but I watched it in it's entirety.
I wouldn't use the superlative as you did. He does cover it, that I agree.
He covers it while looking for the buzzwords of Reformed/Protestant Theology. I don't know that you'd get an accurate sense of Orthodoxy from this video or the 'earlier video' he made on Orthodoxy (referenced at 1:12-1:34± and again at 7:49 - 7:52±).
I ferreted out that video as well, where he basically spends a half hour telling the audience he does not understand Orthodoxy.

As for the question he poses; can a person from Eastern Orthodoxy call their self "The Bible Answer Man?" I would simply respond, Why not? The Bible is a document that was written in and by, through, from, and to the Church with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Having a deeper understanding of the Ancient Church should augment one's understanding of the Bible as I see it. YMMV.

Upvote 0