✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I ran across this article in a christian webzine, it is pretty interesting:

He’s everywhere this Christmas season: He’s an action figure, he’s on lunchboxes, T-shirts, tree ornaments, cups and mugs and plates and hats and shoes and sunglasses. He has one of the most popular DVDs on the market, he had one of the most popular movies of the past summer, and his old cartoon shows from the 80s and 90s have been re-released on videos you can rent at your local video store.

He’s the Amazing Spider-Man, the creation of comic book guru Stan Lee and the team at Marvel back in the 1960s. Though he’s now over 40 years old, has been slinging webs for decades and has chased down a zoo of crazy criminal villains, he has never been more popular.

For me, seeing Spider-Man reach such amazing popularity is a vindication of sorts. Of all the mythical superheroes of comic book lore, Spider-Man’s story has always been the most intriguing. I've always been drawn to it. Ever since I was old enough to understand super heroes and able to read comics and all that, Spider-Man has been my favorite. I had a black cape and played Batman for a while, and Superman was, well, Superman. But Superman lacked depth; he was almost too super to be very interesting. Batman was either too campy or too dark, and the whole Robin thing was always a little weird. Spider-man, on the other hand, seemed real.

I guess the thing that drew me to Spidey and his alter ego Peter Parker was the sad undercurrent to the story. In Spider-Man, you always had a good guy who tried to just be nice and do the right thing, most often at his own expense. He would turn down relationships with people he loved because he knew his presence in their lives endangered them. He would get fired because saving people made him chronically late for work. He would leap into harrowing situations to save people, knowing most of them were scared of him and that if he wasn't careful, the cops would try to nab him. The press always vilified him, lumped him in with the criminals he tried to stop, and even though he succeeded time and time again at getting the bad guys and saving the good ones, he never outlived his bad rep. As a young man who sometimes misunderstood the bigger picture, Peter Parker always internalized the city's fear of Spider-Man into some kind of personal rejection. I can relate, to a degree.

As a conservative Christian (and this isn't a pity party, just an exploration), I tend to see the same kind of treatment directed our way. No, we're not web-slinging super heroes. Far from it—we're as ordinary and as flawed as anyone else. We doubt ourselves, doubt God, doubt that it's all worth it sometimes. We fail, we screw up, we hurt others in the course of trying to help them. But we actually do have our hearts in the right place most of the time. Our mouths may be another story, and our minds may not be able to see the havoc that today's good deed will create tomorrow, but our intentions are seldom selfish. We support the right to life because we believe life is sacred and because we believe in acting on clear principle whenever possible. Those of us who home school do it because we actually want our children educated as opposed to brainwashed. We support a conservative interpretation of the nation’s laws because it most often results in less judicial activism and more individual freedom. We support lower taxes because it leaves individuals and families in more control of their own lives, and lessens the power of government to coerce and manipulate us. We support the war because we understand all too well the dangers of inaction and moral indifference, and because the nature of our enemy makes this war a just one. We tend to vote Republican because that party is more receptive to our point of view. For the vast majority of us, none of our political stands are about amassing and maintaining power. They're about trying to maintain some semblance of an orderly society that respects its own traditions and the value of life and generally leaves us free to worship as we choose, where we choose and when we choose. We're not mouth-breathing, scheming, freedom-destroying troglodytes, nor are we perfect ambassadors of our faith. We're hard workers, politicians, artists, writers, filmmakers, police officers, waiters, scholars and soldiers—just people trying to get by and do the right thing. For this, we're often portrayed in the press and even by our own fellow political travelers as mean-spirited, intolerant Bible-thumpers. And sometimes we even turn our wrath on each other.

But that's life, I guess. Being misrepresented irritates me, but I don't guess there's much I can do about it. Well, other than to try and present the true picture of what most Christians and I are all about in the hopes that the picture I present is at odds with the usual stereotypical treatment. Sometimes it will be, but sometimes unfortunately I'll probably come off every bit as boneheaded as the worst public face of my faith.

If I were Spider-Man, I guess I'd just sling a web and snare my enemies and then run off and hide. But I'm not, so all I can do is sling up a prayer and hope it breaks through.

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Those of us who home school do it because we actually want our children educated as opposed to brainwashed.

Sounds like you are doing your own fair share of misrepresentation yourself.

For this, we're often portrayed in the press and even by our own fellow political travelers as mean-spirited, intolerant Bible-thumpers.

Actually it's for saying and doing mean-spirited, intolerant things that bible-thumpers are labelled that way. Being a conservative doesn't make someone a Fundie. Fred Phelps makes many of the same arguements you do. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. If you don't say intolerant things or practice intolerance then there's no reason to label you intolerant.

Being misrepresented irritates me, but I don't guess there's much I can do about it.

You want to talk bout being misrepresented? Try being a Witch in a Christian dominated society.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to say, I like the idea of homeschooling, but in practice, I think there are *HUGE* problems. First off, most people who homeschool teach their children their personal beliefs as facts. Secondly, many of them are simply not competent to teach, say, mathematics, or science, or language. How many people are homeschooled, and get to be 18 only to discover that some basic component of the curriculum hasn't worked?

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is why there are homeschooling co-ops, where you can have a parent who is more knowledgeable in one area than you, and so you have them teach the child that particular subject. It works very well, and the child has also a wide range of teaching styles and views from the parents that teach the child. Music, art science, languages, mechanics, history, mathematic.
There are tons of resources in the chritian community, and the parents who are involved in these co-ops are people who most likely have degrees or training in the area, so the child has the best chance for getting the best education.
There is no way I would want to teach my child mathematics myself, because frankly, I suck at math. But I could pic 2-3 parents off the top of my head who I know have degrees that would be able to teach my child, and that I trust to do so. But the most important thing is that they have the same VALUES as I do.

Any way, this is so off topic of what the articles intent was. I'll digress.

Peace- EJO

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Havoc
Sounds like you are doing your own fair share of misrepresentation yourself.

Actually it's for saying and doing mean-spirited, intolerant things that bible-thumpers are labelled that way. Being a conservative doesn't make someone a Fundie. Fred Phelps makes many of the same arguements you do. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. If you don't say intolerant things or practice intolerance then there's no reason to label you intolerant.

You want to talk bout being misrepresented? Try being a Witch in a Christian dominated society.

I did not write the article Havoc, but I do agree with what the author has to say.

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Havoc

:D

You mean you don't have a brew with froglegs and troll eyelashes?

Upvote 0

jon1101

Dec 31, 2001
Hillsdale, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,871.00
Faith
Christian
seebs:
How many people are homeschooled, and get to be 18 only to discover that some basic component of the curriculum hasn't worked?

In my experience, not many. I know of a couple homeschooled families who basically have their children do an hour or so of studying per day while watching television; but, honestly, the area in which they live is quite backwards and the public schools in that region are known to give full letter grade improvements to those who can answer an extra credit question asking which football team will be played by that school next Friday. Most homeschooled high school graduates in my area, however, have no trouble getting into fairly nice universities and do quite well once they arrive. Perhaps homeschoolers in my area the exception to the rule, but I see no reason to believe this.

Personally, I've been homeschooled since grade 1 but, like many of the homeschooling families in my area, I have taken university classes since my sophomore year. I will also graduate high school next year with at least second year English and third year maths completed at said university, along with two years each of chemistry, biology, and physics. So, when all is said and done I don't expect to find my homeschooled education lacking, and these huge problems you speak of will almost certainly have been avoided.

-jon

P.S. I do know of, however, two young men from privileged families who made it through public high school with no problems only to find that they cannot even pass a freshman algebra class at university.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
As a conservative Christian (and this isn't a pity party, just an exploration), I tend to see the same kind of treatment directed our way. No, we're not web-slinging super heroes. Far from it—we're as ordinary and as flawed as anyone else. We doubt ourselves, doubt God, doubt that it's all worth it sometimes. We fail, we screw up, we hurt others in the course of trying to help them. But we actually do have our hearts in the right place most of the time. Our mouths may be another story, and our minds may not be able to see the havoc that today's good deed will create tomorrow, but our intentions are seldom selfish. We support the right to life because we believe life is sacred and because we believe in acting on clear principle whenever possible. Those of us who home school do it because we actually want our children educated as opposed to brainwashed. We support a conservative interpretation of the nation’s laws because it most often results in less judicial activism and more individual freedom. We support lower taxes because it leaves individuals and families in more control of their own lives, and lessens the power of government to coerce and manipulate us. We support the war because we understand all too well the dangers of inaction and moral indifference, and because the nature of our enemy makes this war a just one. We tend to vote Republican because that party is more receptive to our point of view. For the vast majority of us, none of our political stands are about amassing and maintaining power. They're about trying to maintain some semblance of an orderly society that respects its own traditions and the value of life and generally leaves us free to worship as we choose, where we choose and when we choose. We're not mouth-breathing, scheming, freedom-destroying troglodytes, nor are we perfect ambassadors of our faith. We're hard workers, politicians, artists, writers, filmmakers, police officers, waiters, scholars and soldiers—just people trying to get by and do the right thing. For this, we're often portrayed in the press and even by our own fellow political travelers as mean-spirited, intolerant Bible-thumpers. And sometimes we even turn our wrath on each other.

But that's life, I guess. Being misrepresented irritates me, but I don't guess there's much I can do about it. Well, other than to try and present the true picture of what most Christians and I are all about in the hopes that the picture I present is at odds with the usual stereotypical treatment. Sometimes it will be, but sometimes unfortunately I'll probably come off every bit as boneheaded as the worst public face of my faith.

You have yet to prove that most Christians are conservative Christians.  While I agree with the first part of the first paragraph I've quoted, in that I think it describes all humans pretty well, I disagree with most of the second half and object to that being held up as what a real Christian agrees to.  Conservative Christian is not equivalent to Real Christian, and I'm sick of the insinuations to the contrary.

--tibac

Upvote 0