Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've got a solar light that looks like a giant clam shell that has a 'pearl' inside that lights up at nighttime. The 'pearl is about the size of a softball, and I was looking at it the other day and some scriptures came to mind and got me wondering.

The 'pearly gates' is a euphemism of heaven that has been in existence for most of our lives and usually only brings to mind jokes about St. Peter at the entrance to heaven but many don't think about it beyond that.

Many picture it like this

But in the Book of the Revelation at least it gives a specific description of the size so that it's not seen as a decorative piece of the gate but the gate itself.

"And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass."​

So 12 gates, 12 pearls.

upload_2022-8-13_16-33-55.png

It has to be big enough for people to walk through...

'Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city'.​

'And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.'​

It is also specific in relationship to height that these gates would be set in.

'And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates'​

And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof. 16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal. 17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man​

So this brings to mind several questions and speculations.

If they aren't decorated with 'mother of pearl', which can be laminated onto a base of something: But they are singularly large enough to serve as a gate, are they round like a typical pearl that comes to mind? upload_2022-8-13_16-33-55.png

Or something more like a freshwater pearl?

Pearls can grow in a variety of bi-valves - widely known of course is the oyster but they can also be found in fresh water mussels (I've found some of these myself) but more rarely in a clam.

About 8 years ago there was what was believed at the time to be found the largest pearl. It was from a giant clam and found by a Filipino fisherman who took it home and put it under his bed as a good luck charm. That didn't really bring him good luck as his house burned down and that was when the pearl was discovered.

It weights 75 pounds and measures 26" long by 12" width. It is estimated to be worth $100 Million dollars.

Now compared to what we're talking about here it's rather tiny, BUT who's to say the L-RD couldn't have employed a dozen special clams to be working at this for the past 6,000 years?

They are said to have a life span of 100 years, but who's to say? There are many things hidden in the sea we know nothing about.

If the gates aren't made of a pearl that's orb shaped, but more of what the giant clam can produce it could very well serve as a doorway.

Pearls found in the giant clam are very rare and are of exceptional beauty.

Check out the photos in this article.

They've found very large fossils of the giant clam as well.

Some other things to consider.

If these are for gates and the gates are always open, what does that tell us about the size and shape?

Personally I can't wait to see them for myself:

And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

Oh, the Margarites thing? Not a Mexican drink but that is the word for pearl in Greek translated 'pearl'. :)

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could easily see that but it doesn't really jive with the text.

"every several gate was of one pearl"

Besides that the sheets for inlay come from the Abalone and it is the shell not a pearl.

Could just be semantics but I think either way it's going to be awesome!

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I could easily see that but it doesn't really jive with the text.

"every several gate was of one pearl"

Besides that the sheets for inlay come from the Abalone and it is the shell not a pearl.

Could just be semantics but I think either way it's going to be awesome!
Truly awesome indeed... either way..

Upvote 0