Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
At the end of April I spent four days in York . What a beautiful city !

I had only been to York once before , and that was on a Sunday afternoon coach trip from church in the 1950s . From the little I remember we had Mass in the home of Blessed Margaret Clitherow , now Saint Margaret Clitherow , and known as "The Pearl of York" .

She was the wife of a butcher and the mother of three children . She lived in a street called the Shambles . In 1574 she converted to Catholicism , a time when it was illegal to celebrate Mass in England .

Margaret provided a room above her house in the Shambles to hide priests and for the celebration of Mass . She was arrested on 10th March 1586 and charged with harbouring priests and attending Mass . She refused to plead guilty or not guilty because if she had , the only witnesses against her would have been her family , whom she did not wish to place in such a position . The penalty for refusing to plead was to be crushed to death by being placed on the ground under a door and heavy weights placed on top , while a sharp stone was placed under the person's back .

Those who were employed to carry out the execution could not bear to fulfil the task , and so beggars were hired to do it . Thus she died on 25th March 1586 which was also Good Friday . She was pregnant with her fourth child at the time .

Margaret Clitherow was canonised by Pope Paul VI , along with 39 other English martyrs , on 25th October , 1970 .

Her house in the Shambles is now a shrine dedicated to her . The beauty of it is its simplicity . Nothing ornate , just wooden benches and kneelers , with a plain altar , two statues and some framed manuscripts on the wall .

I was overwhelmed . Such courage ! Such faith ! What a pearl ! And how easy we have it ! How we take the Mass for granted ! How we take our priests for granted !

In the post to follow below are some photos I took .....the Shambles and the house , now the shrine . The statue of the man in one of the photos is Blessed Thomas Thwing , a priest who was executed in York in 1680 .

Last edited:

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The photos.....

DSC00049.JPG
DSC00050.JPG
DSC00051.JPG
DSC00054.JPG

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Beautiful pictures Colin . It's a long time since I've been in York - far too long
I'll certainly be going again , Anhelyna , God willing . I fell in love with the city .

I also enjoyed the Minster , managing to get to choral evensong . The choir had been in Munich , a city twinned with York , and fortunately they were back in action for my final evening there .

The National Railway Museum , the York Castle Museum and the Jorvik Viking Centre were fascinating .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
At the end of April I spent four days in York . What a beautiful city !

I had only been to York once before , and that was on a Sunday afternoon coach trip from church in the 1950s . From the little I remember we had Mass in the home of Blessed Margaret Clitherow , now Saint Margaret Clitherow , and known as "The Pearl of York" .

She was the wife of a butcher and the mother of three children . She lived in a street called the Shambles . In 1574 she converted to Catholicism , a time when it was illegal to celebrate Mass in England .

Margaret provided a room above her house in the Shambles to hide priests and for the celebration of Mass . She was arrested on 10th March 1586 and charged with harbouring priests and attending Mass . She refused to plead guilty or not guilty because if she had , the only witnesses against her would have been her family , whom she did not wish to place in such a position . The penalty for refusing to plead was to be crushed to death by being placed on the ground under a door and heavy weights placed on top , while a sharp stone was placed under the person's back .

Those who were employed to carry out the execution could not bear to fulfil the task , and so beggars were hired to do it . Thus she died on 25th March 1586 which was also Good Friday . She was pregnant with her fourth child at the time .

Margaret Clitherow was canonised by Pope Paul VI , along with 39 other English martyrs , on 25th October , 1970 .

Her house in the Shambles is now a shrine dedicated to her . The beauty of it is its simplicity . Nothing ornate , just wooden benches and kneelers , with a plain altar , two statues and some framed manuscripts on the wall .

I was overwhelmed . Such courage ! Such faith ! What a pearl ! And how easy we have it ! How we take the Mass for granted ! How we take our priests for granted !

In the post to follow below are some photos I took .....the Shambles and the house , now the shrine . The statue of the man in one of the photos is Blessed Thomas Thwing , a priest who was executed in York in 1680 .

I was in York again last week , and was deeply moved to be in the city of the Pearl of York .

A photo of a plaque marking the place of St Margaret Clitherow's execution :

DSC00226.JPG

DSC00223.JPG

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
When in York in April I discovered something I had not known before .

It was in York in 306 AD that Constantine was declared Roman Emperor .

It is quite something to stand on the spot where this momentous event occurred .

Vic Stefanu has made this short video about it :

Upvote 0