Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As we continue looking at the various events surrounding the Passion week of Christ – the last week leading up to Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. WE know it was a challenging week to say the least – rejection- false accusations- wrongly accused- torture- death and finally the resurrection. We have been asking a question – What kept Jesus Christ so committed – so passionate and determined?

In the face o f opposition when may want to give up for far less, are there some lessons wecan take from his example that we can follow? Which will keep us committed and passionate in the face of opposition? We come to the most powerful event – not only in this one week but the most significant event in the history of the world. God himself, in the person of Jesus Christ – taking our place – dying a cruel death- but as he said he would after three days his grave is empty. He is not here he has risen just as He said he would…The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead has historically been the cornerstone of the Christian faith.

The early Christians were transformed from a defeated, despairing hopeless band of followers of a teacher who claimed to be the Messiah. (remember how they all deserted Jesus when he was arrested) but after his resurrection they are transformed into a bold, fearless, band of witnesses to the physical resurrection of their leader from the dead.

Jesus is alive. This news has been welcomed by many as good news - the gospel.
The women who went to the tomb – although they may have had many questions – as to how it could have happened – they went immediately to tell others this great news.
Down through the centuries millions have accepted the truth that Jesus actually did come back to life after his crucifixion. Today those who accept this truth find great hope, peace confidence and assurance in knowing that Jesus Christ had the power to defeat death and walk out of the grave. That same power is our confidence that death will not be our defeat but we to will live and experience this same victory.

But like all the events of this Passion Week there are two basic responses.
One to accept it and experience the power of the cross or to reject it and discredit what took place. The religious establishment tried to threaten the early Christians for telling the truth of Jesus Christ. Imprisoned many- killed others. They wanted to do away with Jesus and follow their man made way to God which depended on their own efforts and religious performance- following a religious leader of their own choosing.

To cover up the resurrection they even had a story circulate that someone came and stole the body of Jesus while the guard were sleeping. The Roman authorities actually carried out repeated attempts to annihilate the Christians in the first three centuries. But their efforts only succeeded in fanning the flame in the spread of Christianity. Today in many parts of the world persecution continues for those who take a stand for Jesus Christ. I find it amazing as I walk through book stores – there seems to a new book every week trying to discredit Jesus Christ.

Why are people so afraid of the one who preached peace- love – forgiveness?
I find others who have taken time to study, investigate history and the events of Jesus resurrection - many have come to the conclusion that Jesus must have been who he said he was and he actually did come back to life- it is evident in the passion, commitment of those who saw him alive from the grave. It fulfills prophecies made 100’s of year before these events.

Two basic responses – it is impossible to find a middle ground on this event.
Accept it as true – I believe Jesus died and rose again – he is the God / man and I accept who he is and I find hope in him. Or - reject it as a myth- a hoax – the greatest lie in history – Jesus was a liar- a deranged martyr – and there is no hope in following him and I guess all who follow him are just as deranged and misled – our hope and peace is just a psychological trick. For those of us who do accept the resurrection account- Our commitment and passion will be evident to the extent we are convinced Jesus did raise from the grave.

If his resurrection doesn’t matter – then following him and sharing this great news will matter little to you? Those who were convinced – those who saw him alive and those who believe – are passionate – committed willing to boldly tell who he is and what he has done.
This was God in the flesh- and in him is life. Their lives were truly transformed into powerful, bold and passionate people. I believe what kept Jesus so passionate in the face of great opposition was the knowledge that he was the hope of the world – by his death and resurrection this world would have a real hope for real life, to be truly alive.

If you don’t accept that Jesus rose from the grave – what are you passionate about?
What gives you hope- peace- confidence – assurance- and promise of eternal life? Does it measure up to the claims and power of Jesus Christ? What makes the resurrection so significant? Why do we make such a big deal about it – can I be a Christian and not hold to this resurrection account?

The truth behind the resurrection is a matter of life and death.
Are you alive today? I think most if not all of us would say that is fairly obvious – I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t alive. I am breathing – moving around – I have a few brain waves happening – yes I am alive. I want to suggest that depending on how we respond to this account you may be here breathing – thinking yet be very much dead.

Listen to what the Apostle Paul clearly teaches about the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Paul tells us it is of most importance – it is the central message of the Christian faith this great news.

1 Corinthians 15:1-8 - by this gospel you are saved – vs 2 Here is the good news – vs 3 – Paul makes sure he gives an account of eye witnesses who saw Jesus Christ alive after his crucifixion. 1 Corinthians 15: 12-19 Vs. 17 If Christ has not been raised – your faith is futile – useless- meaningless. You are still in your sin. Jesus went to the cross not for a political cause or to create a movement of followers.
Any martyr can do that.

But the cross and the resurrection has everything to do with this thing called sin.
Which weather we like to admit it or not we all have. It is like going to the doctor and your checked out and the doctor says you have a cancer growing in you it need to be dealt with and you say – no I don’t I don’t feel anything so I think I am just fine. If not dealt with sooner or latter it will take its toil- if it is not dealt with.
In Ephesians 2:1 Paul tell us that in our sinful condition – which we are in if we do not accept the resurrection of Jesus Christ – we are dead.

You may be here today – thinking you are totally alive – that the question of weather you are alive or not has a rather simple answer – but even if you are breathing – thinking and walking around – the most significant part of you may be dead.
That is how much the resurrection factors into our life.

Without a resurrected Jesus we are still dead. From a spiritual stand point – If Jesus is still in the grave we are dead in our relationship to God.

When the women went to the grave – and heard the word he is not here he alive – he is raised from the dead just as he said. That event made it possible for all who will accept this event by faith – our willingness to trust that Jesus paid the price for my sin and was victorious over death- and victorious over sin – we saw this on Good Friday how God turns away from Jesus because he could no took upon sin, but the after the resurrection Jesus was going back to the Father – totally accepted – sin has been dealt with.

Because of the resurrection we too can be made truly alive in our relationship with God.
He can now accept us based on the resurrected living Christ.
Because he lives we too can live. Ephesians 2: 4- 5

But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved.
Vs. 8 – For it is by grace you have been saved through faith – it is a gift of God.
Are you living in the power of the resurrection?

Where do we stand to day regarding the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
There are really only two options –accept it or reject it… the choice is ours.
It is the most important choice you will make…

It is really a matter of life and death – and it is a matter of how passionate and committed we are to the one who died for us and has the power to defeat death.
AS we embrace the risen Lord – we can experience the same transformation that the early Christians experience and see our world transformed by that same power today.

Quasar92

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"The Passion of the Christ"...Movie written and directed by Mel Gibson (Aramaic with English sub-titles)...BLOODY!
This depiction of the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus opens with his betrayal by Judas, his condemnation by the Pharisees and his appearance before Pontius Pilate. Pilate defers to King Herod, but Herod returns Jesus. Pilate then asks the crowd to choose between Jesus and Barrabas. The crowd chooses Barrabas. Pilate washes his hands of the matter, and Jesus is forced to carry the cross through the streets to Golgotha where Roman soldiers crucify him. Although Jesus briefly fears that God, his Father, has abandoned him, he regains his faith, proclaiming "Into Thy hands I command my spirit."

The Passion of the Christ

The Body/Soul of Jesus the God-Man bled to death on the Cross, He committed His SPIRIT to heaven, was partially mummified, and placed in a guarded tomb.
Then the greatest miracle in history: He was uniquely transformed. On the third day: "He has risen".
Proof of the empty tomb and ~40 days of appearances to many before ascension is the core of Christ-follower's belief/faith.

Jesus the Divine Messiah voluntarily bled to death on a cruel, unjust Cross.
Jesus the God-Man voluntarily substituted Himself FOR all sins FOR all Men FOR all time.
His miraculous birth, ministry, death, resurrection, appearances, and ascension...
ALL RECONCILED Man to God. (at-one-ment)

The New Covenant: The blood of Jesus covers the sin of man.
We believers are longer under condemnation.
We are FORGIVEN of our SINS.

" Substitutionary Atonement "

Substitution = e.g. "huper" / ...Jesus died FOR you...in your place

2 Corinthians 5:21,...Imputed Righteousness
"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin "on our behalf",
that we might become the righteousness of God IN Him."

Romans 6:10
For the death that He died, He died to sin once FOR all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

1 Peter 3:18 -
"For Christ also died FOR sins once FOR all,
the righteous (Jesus) FOR the unrighteous (Man),
that he might bring us to God" (reconciliation/salvation)

1 Peter 2 (NASB)
21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered FOR you,
leaving you an example FOR you to follow in His steps,
22 (Jesus:) who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth;
23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return;
while suffering, He uttered no threats,
but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; FOR by His wounds you were healed.
25 For you were continually straying like sheep,
but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

Atonement = basic meaning of RECONCILIATION....work of redemption on behalf of ...

"Atonement" = at-ONE-ment = spiritual reconciliation and other benefits of salvation...
...some spiritual act that "pays for" / redeems Man from his sin nature / sin / sin(s)
...the penalty due to Man's sins are avoided
...action decreed by God for the re-establishment of a positive relationship between Man (the sinner) and Himself (the holy God).

The OT is replete with a myriad of ritual laws to cover the sins of Israel.
The word is used ONCE in the KJV of the NT.

Romans 5:11
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom we have now received the atonement.

the atonement. ...Greek 2643....katallage....adjustment of a difference, RECONCILIATION, restoration to favour

Romans 5: 6-11 (NASB)
For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died FOR the ungodly.
For one will hardly die for a righteous man;
though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die.
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died FOR us.
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son,
much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

Leviticus 16:34
Now you shall have this as a permanent statute,
to make atonement for the sons of Israel for all their sins once every year.”
And just as the Lord had commanded Moses, so he did.

Hebrews 7:27
who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices,
first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people,
because this He did once FOR all when He offered up Himself.

Hebrews 9:12
and not through the blood of goats and calves, but THROUGH His own blood,
He entered the holy place once FOR all, having obtained eternal redemption.

Hebrews 10:10
By this will we have been sanctified
through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once FOR all.

See also: PROPITIATION ...

New Testament Greek:
G2435 hilasterion =~ propitiation, "mercy seat"

...“The word propitiation carries the basic idea of appeasement, or satisfaction, specifically towards God. Propitiation is a two-part act that involves
appeasing the wrath of an offended person and
being reconciled to them.”
Propitiation is that:
“by which it becomes consistent with his character and government to pardon and bless the sinner.
The propitiation does not procure his love or make him loving; (God is ALSO perfectly LOVING and MERCIFUL!)it only renders it consistent for him to exercise his love towards sinners...

1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God,
but that He loved us and
sent His Son to be the propitiation FOR our sins.

Hebrews 2:17
Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God,
to make propitiation FOR the sins of the people.

The BLOOD of Jesus:

Ephesians 2:13
But now in Christ Jesus
you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Hebrews 10:19
Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence
to enter the holy place (presence of God) by the blood of Jesus,

Hebrews 12:24
and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant,
and to the (His) sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 13:20
Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead
the great Shepherd of the sheep
through the blood of the eternal covenant,
even Jesus our Lord,

1 Peter 1:2 ...a peek a the TRI-UNE GOD?
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father,
by the sanctifying work of (God) the (Holy) Spirit,
to obey (God the Son) Jesus Christ
and be sprinkled with His blood:
May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

1 John 1:7
but if we (believers) walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and
the blood of Jesus His Son CLEANSES (washes away) us from all sin.

Revelation 1:5
and from Jesus Christ,
the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood—

Reactions: Quasar92
Upvote 0