claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a commentary I have been working on for a controversial passage: Matthew 25:31-46. I am not arguing for or against the concept of hell. This is merely an attempt to answer several questions
1. When will the son of man come into his glory?
2. Who are the sheep?
3. Who are the goats?
4. What is the eternal punishment?

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

THE PARABLE OF THE SHEEP AND THE GOATS

Matthew 25:31

When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.

When does the Son of man come in his glory?
1. Matthew 10:23 : before the disciples will make it through all of the towns of Israel
2. Matthew 16:27-28 : before some of the disciples taste death
3. Matthew 24:29-35 : before this (his audience's) generation passes away
4. Mark 8:38-9:1 : before some of the disciples taste death
5. Mark 13:24-31 : before this (his audience's) generation passes away
6. Luke 9:26-27 : before some of the disciples taste death
7. Luke 19:25-33 : before this (his audience's) generation passes away
When does the Son of man sit on throne?
1. Acts 7:55-56 : Steven saw Jesus at the right hand of God
2. Romans 8:34 : After Christ died and was raised
3. Ephesians 1 :20: When Christ was raised from the dead
4. Hebrew 1:3 : When he took away our sins
5. Hebrews 8:1 : During the time of the life of the author of Hebrews

**Notice that the when the Son of man comes in his glory, it is something that occurs during the generation of those who lived during the time of Jesus. It is also interesting to note that Jesus says in Matthew 26:64, that Caiaphas will see Jesus seated in power and coming on the clouds of heaven.

Matthew 25:32-40

Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.

Who are the sheep?
1. Romans 9:23: vessels of mercy: not from Jews only, but from Gentiles
2. Romans 9:25: A people who are not God's people
3. Romans 9:30: Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, but did obtain it
4. Romans 10:20: A people who found God, when they were not seeking Him

**Notice the way the sheep respond to Christ. It's very humble. They did not even know they were doing righteous works for God, thus fulfilling Isaiah 65:1. Paul explains this throughout Romans 9-11

Matthew 24:41-45

Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’

Who are the goats?
1. Romans 9:22: Unbelieving Israel - Vessels of wrath made for destruction
2. Romans 9:31: Unbelieving Israel-that pursued the law, but did not obtain righteousness
3. Romans 10:21: Unbelieving Israel-a disobedient people
4. Romans 11:17: Unbelieving Israel- branches that were broken off

**Notice the way the goats respond to Christ. It's self-righteous. They claim they have done the righteous works, when really they have not. Thus fulfilling Isaiah 8 and 28. Paul also explains in Romans 9-11

Matthew 25:46

46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

What is the eternal punishment?
1. Matthew 21:33-45: Parable of the wicked tenants: Kingdom of God taken away from Israel and given to another
2. Matthew 22:1-14: Parable of the wedding feast: God destroys the original chosen guests and invites many others
3. Matthew 23: 1-39: Woes and Judgment to scribes and Pharisees. Jerusalem and its house are desolate
4. Matthew 24: 15-27: Desolation of temple and Jerusalem predicted.

**Notice the build up to the parable of the sheep and goats. Then entire context of Matthew 21-24 is in regards to the judgment of unbelieving Israel. The consummation of the Jewish age. The end of the old covenant has so far been permanent and everlasting. It is impossible to follow the Old Testament law if there is no temple. Jesus fulfilled the law and prophets. Eternal life does not begin when we die, it is something we get now and will never be lost or end. John 17:3: And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.

• Useful
Reactions: Serving Zion

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. after the tribulation
2. believers
3. unbelievers
4. lake of fire

1. After he tribulation.
The son of man will come in glory and power after the tribulation. But Jesus' generation would not pass away before it happened. Matthew 24:34. We know that the coming of the son of man in his kingdom with glory and power is the same as the coming of the kingdom of God by cross referencing mark 9:1, Luke 9:27, and Matthew 16:28.

2. Believers
Doesn't say they were believers. It says they did righteous works without even knowing it, and let alone who they did it for.

3. Unbelievers
Doesn't say they were unbelievers. It says they thought they were doing righteous works, when really they were not.

4. Lake of fire
Lake of fire is apocalyptic language used to mean judgment. This type of language is also used in the OT to describe judgment on Israel. In the context of the passages leading up to Matthew 25, Matthew 21-24, Jesus is explicitly talking about the judgement that is going to come upon Israel. Making the parable of the sheep and goats about the future from us does not Fit the context

Upvote 0