✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the parable of Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46), the King said,

verse 40: whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.
verse 45: whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.​

I always thought it was referring to those who are physically in need until I read this,

Matthew 5:19
So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

So, does it suggests “the least” in this parable referring to teachers who taught wrongly? (James 3:1) And because they teach wrongly, they became hungry, thirsty, a stranger to God, naked, sick, and in prison.

Goats are those who ignore despite knowing the situation, unlike Priscilla and Aquila (Acts 18:26).

Last edited:

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

verse 40: whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.
verse 45: whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.​

I always thought it was referring to those who are physically in need until I read this,

So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

So, does it suggests “the least” in this parable referring to teachers who taught wrongly? (James 3:1) And because they teach wrongly, they became hungry, thirsty, a stranger to God, naked, sick, and in prison.

Goats are those who ignore despite knowing the situation, unlike Priscilla and Aquila (Acts 18:26).
Some preached prosperity is salvation and poverty is wickedness. This could not be true as some people engaged in fraud, theft, prostitution and violence for profit. Some of these wicked live in expensive homes and cheated on their spouses. It might appear as if God blessed them, yet God did not instruct them to do evil.

One needs to find and do righteous commandments instead of doing the wrong commandments.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some preached prosperity is salvation and poverty is wickedness. This could not be true as some people engaged in fraud, theft, prostitution and violence for profit. Some of these wicked live in expensive homes and cheated on their spouses. It might appear as if God blessed them, yet God did not instruct them to do evil.

One needs to find and do righteous commandments instead of doing the wrong commandments.
Agree with this. So prosperity and poverty point to spiritual aspects of things.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It uses the social structure to describe different people in different situations. The two are not related, per se. Back then -just as now, really- there was a social structure with the rich at the top and the poor at the bottom. To say "the least of these my brothers" is to say "even those you consider unimportant". So to refuse to give even to the lowest of society is the same as to refuse to give to Jesus himself.

At Matthew 5:19 the social structure of the time is sued to describe the fate of someone who breaks the smallest of commandments. They will find themselves on the lowest end of the social structure in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At Matthew 5:19 the social structure of the time is sued to describe the fate of someone who breaks the smallest of commandments. They will find themselves on the lowest end of the social structure in the kingdom of heaven.
What if the kingdom of God is already in our midst? (Luke 17:20-21)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agree with this. So prosperity and poverty point to spiritual aspects of things.
Luke 16:10 “He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much. He who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.”

Having wealth or poverty is not a sign of faith or being trustworthy. These values are spiritual.

Reactions: Cornelius8L
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 5:19 is referring to the Ten Commandments- you have to read the whole passage in context Matthew 5:17-30. I do not think least in heaven means one will be there. Compare it to similar teachings such as Matthew 7:21-23, Hebrews 10:26-30.

The parable of the sheep and goats when they use the word “least” it means even one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:19 is referring to the Ten Commandments- you have to read the whole passage in context Matthew 5:17-30. I do not think least in heaven means one will be there. Compare it to similar teachings such as Matthew 7:21-23, Hebrews 10:26-30.

The parable of the sheep and goats when they use the word “least” it means even one.
I think the least in heaven is there according to Matthew 11:11.

Matthew 11:11
Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.​

This verse even states the least is greater than John the Baptist, and the weirder part is, will John the Baptist be there?

Or do we have two types of “least” in the scripture? Any thought?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:19 is referring to the Ten Commandments- you have to read the whole passage in context
The commandments in Matthew 5 are not only referring to the Ten Commandments. V17 mentioned Law and prophets and Jesus fulfilling them. V19 classified these as commandments by further explaining how He fulfilled v21 murder, v27 adultery, v31 divorce (ref: Deuteronomy 24:1-5), v33 oaths (ref: Numbers 30:1-16), v38 Eye for eye and tooth for a tooth (ref: Leviticus 24:17-23).

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The commandments in Matthew 5 are not only referring to the Ten Commandments. V17 mentioned Law and prophets and Jesus fulfilling them. V19 classified these as commandments by further explaining how He fulfilled v21 murder, v27 adultery, v31 divorce (ref: Deuteronomy 24:1-5), v33 oaths (ref: Numbers 30:1-16), v38 Eye for eye and tooth for a tooth (ref: Leviticus 24:17-23).
I am going to respectfully disagree Matthew 5:19 is not referring to the Ten Commandments. As you noted Jesus directly quoted from the Ten when He said “murder begins in the heart”. This is a direct reference to Exodus 20:13 Matthew 5:21 makes it pretty clear He is referring to the Ten Commandments.

Jesus did not come to destroy the law and fulfill does not mean destroy or end, the opposite of what Jesus just said in Matthew 5:17. It means to fill-full. When I keep my marriage covenant I am fulfilling my marriage vows by staying faithful. I do not fulfill my vows by being unfaithful. Jesus fulfilled the law by being obedient to His Fathers commandments and keeping them perfectly as our example to follow. John 15:10, 1 John 2:6

Jesus came to do the will of His Father John 6:38 and came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21 which means make greater, not smaller. When Jesus said murder begins in the heart, He is not teaching it’s okay to literally murder anyone, He is teaching He wants us changed from the inside out. When we change our thoughts towards our neighbor from contempt and hate to compassion and love, the commandment for thou shalt not murder will automatically be kept. There is a greater meaning to each of the commandments and when living by the Spirit, the letter will automatically be kept. We do not show love to God by breaking any of the commandments and this is certainly not a teaching of Jesus who said If you love Me, keep My commandments, John 14:15 similar to what His Father said right in the Ten Commandments- showing mercy to thousands who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am going to respectfully disagree Matthew 5:19 is not referring to the Ten Commandments. As you noted Jesus directly quoted from the Ten when He said “murder begins in the heart”. This is a direct reference to Exodus 20:13 Matthew 5:21 makes it pretty clear He is referring to the Ten Commandments.

Jesus did not come to destroy the law and fulfill does not mean destroy or end, the opposite of what Jesus just said in Matthew 5:17. It means to fill-full. When I keep my marriage covenant I am fulfilling my marriage vows by staying faithful. I do not fulfill my vows by being unfaithful. Jesus fulfilled the law by being obedient to His Fathers commandments and keeping them perfectly as our example to follow. John 15:10, 1 John 2:6

Jesus came to do the will of His Father John 6:38 and came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21 which means make greater, not smaller. When Jesus said murder begins in the heart, He is not teaching it’s okay to literally murder anyone, He is teaching He wants us changed from the inside out. When we change our thoughts towards our neighbor from contempt and hate to compassion and love, the commandment for thou shalt not murder will automatically be kept. There is a greater meaning to each of the commandments and when living by the Spirit, the letter will automatically be kept. We do not show love to God by breaking any of the commandments and this is certainly not a teaching of Jesus who said If you love Me, keep My commandments, John 14:15 similar to what His Father said right in the Ten Commandments- showing mercy to thousands who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6
v31 divorce (ref: Deuteronomy 24:1-5), v33 oaths (ref: Numbers 30:1-15), v38 Eye for eye and tooth for a tooth (ref: Leviticus 24:17-23).
Well… please go on and explain v31 divorce (ref: Deuteronomy 24:1-5), v33 oaths (ref: Numbers 30:1-15), v38 Eye for eye and tooth for a tooth (ref: Leviticus 24:17-23). Don’t stop halfway after mentioning v17…

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well… please go on and explain v31 divorce (ref: Deuteronomy 24:1-5), v33 oaths (ref: Numbers 30:1-15), v38 Eye for eye and tooth for a tooth (ref: Leviticus 24:17-23). Don’t stop halfway after mentioning v17…
The commandments are magnified- which makes greater all of these are under an umbrella of the Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The commandments are magnified- which makes greater all of these are under an umbrella of the Ten Commandments.
Do you mean Deuteronomy 24:1-5, Numbers 30:1-15, Leviticus 24:17-23 are under the umbrella of Ten? Keeping oaths (Numbers 30:1-15) and rightful punishment (Leviticus 24:17-23) park under which commandment among the Ten?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean Deuteronomy 24:1-5, Numbers 30:1-15, Leviticus 24:17-23 are under the umbrella of Ten? Keeping oaths (Numbers 30:1-15) and rightful punishment (Leviticus 24:17-23) park under which commandment among the Ten?
An oath is under thou shalt not commit false witness and divorce is under adultery. The punishment of sinning (breaking God’s law) 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 is still death. We are in the New Covenant and Jesus died for our sins when we turn from sin and repent, which means having a changed heart.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An oath is under thou shalt not commit false witness and divorce is under adultery. The punishment of sinning (breaking God’s law) 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 is still death. We are in the New Covenant and Jesus died for our sins when we turn from sin and repent, which means having a changed heart.
Bearing false witness is against a neighbor in the commandment and a testimony towards an action/incident. Oath-taking is towards God and self-initiated. They are not the same.

A divorce is an option by the law, not necessarily the result of adultery. If one was caught in adultery, by the law, he or she must be stoned (Leviticus 20:10). In v32, Jesus said divorce caused adultery, not the result of adultery. If Jesus were to say this in OT, all who divorce must be put to death.

The punishment is a law and an act of justice. It cannot be destroyed or ended. We are instructed by God in NT to uphold justice among brethren. So, this clearly is not from the Ten.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bearing false witness is against a neighbor in the commandment and a testimony towards an action/incident. Oath-taking is towards God and self-initiated. They are not the same.

A divorce is an option by the law, not necessarily the result of adultery. If one was caught in adultery, by the law, he or she must be stoned (Leviticus 20:10). In v32, Jesus said divorce caused adultery, not the result of adultery. If Jesus were to say this in OT, all who divorce must be put to death.

The punishment is a law and an act of justice. It cannot be destroyed or ended. We are instructed by God in NT to uphold justice among brethren. So, this clearly is not from the Ten.
We will have to agree to disagree which is not the first or will probably be the last.

The Ten Commandments encompass more than what is stated, and Jesus gave us clear examples of that right from the Ten Commandments.

Take care.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,160.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We will have to agree to disagree which is not the first or will probably be the last.

The Ten Commandments encompass more than what is stated, and Jesus gave us clear examples of that right from the Ten Commandments.

Take care.
Take care.

Upvote 0