The Papacy: The ultimate insult to the Apostle Peter?

St. Paul

Jul 6, 2008
Michigan
✟9,298.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The history of the pope's over the centuries did the following in Peter's name: having innocent people murdered, having people strangled to death, burning people at the stake, having illegitimate children, sex with prostitutes, sex with children, homosexuality, protecting child molesters, digging up corpses and putting them on trial, killing someone for wanting to translate the Bible for people, etc. Why do they claim to do this stuff in Peter's name? Do you think Peter would approve of the Papacy? The answer is no. It's not a trick question.

Why does the Roman Catholic Church continue to dishonor the memory of the Apostle Peter with these "successors of Peter?" They should be ashamed of themselves and so should every Catholic having the audacity to associate the "papacy" with the Apostle Peter!!

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You mention only the bad. Why not mention the good. Peter denied Christ three times. Should he be remembered ONLY for that? I think not. Nor should the papacy be remembered only for its scandals, no matter how awful.

The modern papacy, in particular, is inspiring. I love St JP 2, and Pope Francis.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mention only the bad. Why not mention the good. Peter denied Christ three times. Should he be remembered ONLY for that? I think not. Nor should the papacy be remembered only for its scandals, no matter how awful.

The modern papacy, in particular, is inspiring. I love St JP 2, and Pope Francis.

Although the point was rather bluntly stated, I guess the point was supposed to be that all those who talk about the Popes as pinnacles of goodness and even infallibility, and as the only religious leaders in Christianity whom God approves of, are being rather selective in their praise.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You'd have to be an ignoramus to think that history contains only virtuous popes. There are popes that make me just want to throw up. However, even scandalous Popes still taught orthodoxy. We must not confuse impeccability and infallibility.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You'd have to be an ignoramus to think that history contains only virtuous popes. There are popes that make me just want to throw up. However, even scandalous Popes still taught orthodoxy. We must not confuse impeccability and infallibility.

You don't, but many aren't thinking as straight about it.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You mention only the bad.
THE EVIL EXISTS IN THE PERVERSION OF THE TRUTH. THE PAPACY HAS NO RIGHT TO EXIST, SINCE IT IS IN VIOLATION OF SCRIPTURE. AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE EXTENT OR THE DEPTH OF EVIL THAT HAS BEEN PERPETRATED. MILLIONS OF GENUINE CHRISTIANS HAVE BEEN KILLED BY THE PAPACY.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
THE EVIL EXISTS IN THE PERVERSION OF THE TRUTH. THE PAPACY HAS NO RIGHT TO EXIST, SINCE IT IS IN VIOLATION OF SCRIPTURE. AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE EXTENT OR THE DEPTH OF EVIL THAT HAS BEEN PERPETRATED. MILLIONS OF GENUINE CHRISTIANS HAVE BEEN KILLED BY THE PAPACY.
It is in violation of the scripture? On the contrary, it is in the scripture where Jesus gives Peter the keys. Killed millions of christians? I don't think so. But you are welcome to try to prove that. Remember that at most times in history there weren't hardly even that many christians in existance.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is in violation of the scripture? On the contrary, it is in the scripture where Jesus gives Peter the keys.

...and the alleged successors of Peter in Rome decided to make the keys represent whatever they thought would advance their drive for jurisdiction over the universal church. I'm surprised that the mere mention of keys would make a thoughtful person like yourself immediately fall into line behind a theory that has no substance. Why not say that "keys" represent what is much more likely, i.e. that keys open something and what Peter did on Pentecost is open the world to the Gospel?

Reactions: Charlie7399
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Were these alleged successors infallible on dogma?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Were these alleged successors infallible on dogma?
The doctrine of infallibility was not declared until Vatican 1, so none of those pope made infallible statements. However, they were still infallible in matters of faith and doctrine in the normal sense with all the normal conditions and restrictions.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It is in violation of the scripture? On the contrary, it is in the scripture where Jesus gives Peter the keys. Killed millions of christians? I don't think so. But you are welcome to try to prove that. Remember that at most times in history there weren't hardly even that many christians in existance.
It's pretty common knowledge that the Catholic Church didn't just kill millions of Christians, but millions of people.

Since about the 4th century Christianity has dominated religion, so I'm not sure where you're getting the few Christians idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
...and the alleged successors of Peter in Rome decided to make the keys represent whatever they thought would advance their drive for jurisdiction over the universal church. I'm surprised that the mere mention of keys would make a thoughtful person like yourself immediately fall into line behind a theory that has no substance. Why not say that "keys" represent what is much more likely, i.e. that keys open something and what Peter did on Pentecost is open the world to the Gospel?
Actually, a "thoughtful person like myself" started out in life believing that the papacy was a horrible thing, but after searching scripture and studying the early church, came to believe that this was as Christ intended. My transition into Catholicism was not an easy thing; I was dragged kicking and screaming across the Tiber. To me it is obvious that the keys represent authority.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, a "thoughtful person like myself" started out in life believing that the papacy was a horrible thing, but after searching scripture and studying the early church, came to believe that this was as Christ intended. My transition into Catholicism was not an easy thing; I was dragged kicking and screaming across the Tiber. To me it is obvious that the keys represent authority.

who dragged you and why did you have to be dragged into a religion?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
who dragged you and why did you have to be dragged into a religion?
The truth dragged me. I was very stubborn because I was very prejudiced, not unlike other people I know. But God had it in his sites that I was to be informed, and once informed I had no choice but to act on the truth. Thank you for reminding me where I came from. I will remember to be patient.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you add up all the Christians persecuted and killed by the papacy, it does add up to between 50 and 150 million. See http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/estimates.html.

Next, the popes have always held the title of Pontifex Maximus. That come directly from the pagan priesthood in Rome.
The Pontifex Maximus (Latin, literally: "greatest pontiff") was the high priest of the College of Pontiffs (Collegium Pontificum) in ancient Rome. This was the most important position in the ancient Roman religion, open only to patricians until 254 BC, when a plebeian first occupied this post. A distinctly religious office under the early Roman Republic, it gradually became politicized until, beginning with Augustus, it was subsumed into the Imperial office. Its last use with reference to the emperors is in inscriptions of Gratian[1] (reigned 375–383) who, however, then decided to omit the words "pontifex maximus" from his title.[2][3] The word "pontifex" later became a term used for Christian bishops,[4] including the Bishop of Rome,[5] and the title of "Pontifex Maximus" was applied within the Roman Catholic Church to the Pope as its chief bishop. It is not included in the Pope's official titles,[6] but appears on buildings, monuments and coins of popes of Renaissance and modern times.
(source Wikipedia)

So if this is not in direct violation of Scripture, then all the paganism brought into the Church of Rome was presumably authorized by God. What a farce! BTW you will find no reference to Peter in the Epistle to the Romans (which would be the logical and scriptural place for him to be mentioned as *Bishop of Rome*), so all the talk about Peter and his keys is another farce.

Upvote 0