✟9,978.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi people,

Since being in lockdown, this has given me much the opportunity to do what Medieval monks did - spend time contemplating.

There is something truly attractive about the Orthodox Way. I would like to dedicate my life to this (I have given up on Atheism).

My question is this - what is the typical, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly routine for an Orthodox Christian?

I live in the North West, UK.

Any advice, or previous posts that provide good answers would be much appreciated.

Thanking your and kindest regards,

Lee.

Reactions: Chesterton

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,806.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My question is this - what is the typical, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly routine for an Orthodox Christian?
Stumble, repent, pray for mercy, try not to repeat the stumble part, but always be repenting. :)

Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi people,

Since being in lockdown, this has given me much the opportunity to do what Medieval monks did - spend time contemplating.

There is something truly attractive about the Orthodox Way. I would like to dedicate my life to this (I have given up on Atheism).

I live in the North West, UK.

Any advice, or previous posts that provide good answers would be much appreciated.

Thanking your and kindest regards,

Lee.
The answer is simple really.

Be devoted to Jesus Christ and love the brethren as He has loved you.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The answer is simple really.

Be devoted to Jesus Christ and love the brethren as He has loved you.
The theory is simple. Putting it into practice is hard.
Fortunately the Orthodox Church provides many tools to aid in putting theory into practice.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The theory is simple. Putting it into practice is hard.
Fortunately the Orthodox Church provides many tools to aid in putting theory into practice.
Look I agree and because we are so profoundly selfish.

Yet, Jesus said; His burden was light.

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome and glad you’re here. Contacting a priest is the way to go even though that’ll have to be through email or phone for the foreseeable future, it seems.

Prayer and repentance lead us to union with God - the priest can help you work through that, where to start, how to progress, and so on

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faroutreality

Mar 27, 2020
Alexandria
✟17,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am new to Orthodoxy also... I was (and technically still am) a Protestant. What little I've learned about Orthodoxy since September 2019, the rigor is pretty much as much or as little as you wish to put into it. The rules are there to help you conform your will and life to God. If you're not serious about the Orthodox faith, life is less rigorous. The more serious you are about your faith, you will seek to struggle with your faith with much effort --- not out of obligation, but out of desire to align your life with the life of Jesus Christ.

As I've been told, Orthodoxy is a very practical faith. A priest will generally go at whatever pace he discerns you need. Little bite sizes at a time. Nothing you can't handle.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Humility and obedience are always more important than any particular routine, and our routine is truly a pastoral matter. There is a yearly church calendar, and that can easily be found online, but beyond that we work with our priest to come up with a routine that is most helpful for our individual spiritual condition.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think a major element of our faith is taken from the part of the Sermon on the Mount where the Lord preached for us to give alms, pray, & fast ( Matthew 6:1-18). This is emphasized during the great fasts like Lent & Nativity.

Whenever I communicate this to other Christians though, I usually try to just emphasize the alms giving & prayer aspect. Fasting can be complicated depending on one’s health & the Church naturally takes this into consideration & there are other aspects of fasting like in Isaiah 58.

An ancient Church manual ( ca. 100 AD) called the Didache outlines the ancient pattern of faith. CHURCH FATHERS: The Didache

BTW, there is a book called: The Orthodox Way, it is good.

The Orthodox Way

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums