The Orthodox View on The Papal Dogma of the Immaculate Conception

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that this is a very good summary of Orthodox Mariology, anthropology, and Christology and why the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception poses several issues if one understands Orthodox doctrine. I post it here because it summarizes so much Orthodox thought I felt it was a reference material.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel that this is a very good summary of Orthodox Mariology, anthropology, and Christology and why the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception poses several issues if one understands Orthodox doctrine. I post it here because it summarizes so much Orthodox thought I felt it was a reference material.

Thank you for this link!

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Thank you for the video. I am going to listen to this again to grasp more.

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Orthodox Veneration of the Mother of God.
Thank you. Not being Orthodox or Catholic, it is difficult to wrap my brain around these views. But it was really good listening to them. I am very interested in Catholic, Orthodox. So this is good for me.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. Not being Orthodox or Catholic, it is difficult to wrap my brain around these views. But it was really good listening to them. I am very interested in Catholic, Orthodox. So this is good for me.
no problem, it’s a pretty straightforward work

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am blessed with a very good library of Orthodox texts, especially liturgical texts. The only thing I don’t have are the Holy Transfiguration editions with the Byzantine Chant strophes /// as I find these are harder to read, so my Pentecostarion is the St. John of Kronstadt Press edition, and I do not have the monthly menaion, but I do have the Festal Menaion by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal, and Mother Mary*, and the “Nasser Five Pounder” by the blessed Antiochian priest Fr. Seraphim Nasser, memory eternal, who I hope might along with Metropolitan Anthony Bashir be evaluated for glorification for the work they did in compiling and approving that work, and also the liturgical text by Archbishop Fan Noli, who I think might also be a saint for his work in saving Albanian Orthodoxy during the spectacularly brutal Hoxhaist dictatorship while translating the liturgical texts, and between those two items the Canons from Matins and other liturgical propers for most feasts should be covered according to my friend Fr. John Whiteford. I also have the slightly awkward but extremely useful translation of the Holy Week services published by GoArch (which in content corresponds to a similar Coptic book called the Paschalion, but my understanding is that word more properly refers to what in Latin is called the Computus, that is, the formula adopted at the Council of Nicaea for determining the date of Pascha.

There is also a lot of exotic material, so for instance my Unabbreviated Horologion is supplemented by the Horologion from the Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, and I also have their prayerbook and a Sluzhbenik, in addition to a Sluzhbenik from St. Tikhon’s and the unusual Sluzhbenik used by New Skete Monastery (which unfortunately has no videos of their services online), which is a remarkably beautifully printed volume, in terms of the elegance of the book itself it might by the crown jewel of my collection. It also has a version of the Divine Liturgy of St. James. Which takes us to the crown jewel of my collection, the newly printed Sluzhbenik in English and Church Slavonic by Holy Trinity Jordanville (who also prints my main Horologion and A Psalter for Prayer) of the Divine Liturgy of St. James and the Presanctified Liturgy of St. James, which is exquisite. These are also based on the best manuscripts and constitute a critical text which is devoid of what might be called controversial aspects which characterize some editions of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.

*Also my Triodion and the Supplement to my Triodion is from Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am blessed with a very good library of Orthodox texts, especially liturgical texts. The only thing I don’t have are the Holy Transfiguration editions with the Byzantine Chant strophes /// as I find these are harder to read, so my Pentecostarion is the St. John of Kronstadt Press edition, and I do not have the monthly menaion, but I do have the Festal Menaion by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal, and Mother Mary*, and the “Nasser Five Pounder” by the blessed Antiochian priest Fr. Seraphim Nasser, memory eternal, who I hope might along with Metropolitan Anthony Bashir be evaluated for glorification for the work they did in compiling and approving that work, and also the liturgical text by Archbishop Fan Noli, who I think might also be a saint for his work in saving Albanian Orthodoxy during the spectacularly brutal Hoxhaist dictatorship while translating the liturgical texts, and between those two items the Canons from Matins and other liturgical propers for most feasts should be covered according to my friend Fr. John Whiteford. I also have the slightly awkward but extremely useful translation of the Holy Week services published by GoArch (which in content corresponds to a similar Coptic book called the Paschalion, but my understanding is that word more properly refers to what in Latin is called the Computus, that is, the formula adopted at the Council of Nicaea for determining the date of Pascha.

There is also a lot of exotic material, so for instance my Unabbreviated Horologion is supplemented by the Horologion from the Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, and I also have their prayerbook and a Sluzhbenik, in addition to a Sluzhbenik from St. Tikhon’s and the unusual Sluzhbenik used by New Skete Monastery (which unfortunately has no videos of their services online), which is a remarkably beautifully printed volume, in terms of the elegance of the book itself it might by the crown jewel of my collection. It also has a version of the Divine Liturgy of St. James. Which takes us to the crown jewel of my collection, the newly printed Sluzhbenik in English and Church Slavonic by Holy Trinity Jordanville (who also prints my main Horologion and A Psalter for Prayer) of the Divine Liturgy of St. James and the Presanctified Liturgy of St. James, which is exquisite. These are also based on the best manuscripts and constitute a critical text which is devoid of what might be called controversial aspects which characterize some editions of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.

*Also my Triodion and the Supplement to my Triodion is from Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.
you live up to your username

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ArmyMatt