Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread isn't used enough :)

I'm 2/3 through Mountain of Silence and Facing East just came in the mail today (The Illumined Heart is on the way too)~~I'm taking my time through Mountains of Silence. I bought that about 2-3 years ago but never cracked it open. It's a great read though the author's comments sometimes can be annoying.

I've read a some of Mathewes-Green's articles but not any books. I was once doing a service job in the Baltimore area (Linthicum actually) 3 or so years ago and drove past the little church where her hubby is priest. I happened to look over at the intersection, saw it was an Orthodox Church building, saw the priest's name, and thought, hey I know who they are :D

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This thread isn't used enough :)

I'm 2/3 through Mountain of Silence and Facing East just came in the mail today (The Illumined Heart is on the way too)~~I'm taking my time through Mountains of Silence. I bought that about 2-3 years ago but never cracked it open. It's a great read though the author's comments sometimes can be annoying.

I've read a some of Mathewes-Green's articles but not any books. I was once doing a service job in the Baltimore area (Linthicum actually) 3 or so years ago and drove past the little church where her hubby is priest. I happened to look over at the intersection, saw it was an Orthodox Church building, saw the priest's name, and thought, hey I know who they are :D

I read The Illumined Heart. I enjoyed it and even got my husband to read it. It is a nice little book that is suitable for a lot of different kinds of people. I am thinking of ordering it for my mom for Christmas.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read The Illumined Heart. I enjoyed it and even got my husband to read it. It is a nice little book that is suitable for a lot of different kinds of people. I am thinking of ordering it for my mom for Christmas.

I'm halfway through Facing East~~she writes well, usually I don't do well with women authors.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is a book of collected homilies by St. Gregory Palamas (14th c) called The Saving work of Christ which really conveys the Orthodox way of salvation in a most understandable & truly Orthodox fashion (since he is one of the great saints of the church). It contains 13 homilies in 135 pages on areas such as: redemption, Christmas (the incarnation), the cross etc. see MOUNT THABOR PUBLISHING - Books by St. Gregory Palamas (scroll down)

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a book of collected homilies by St. Gregory Palamas (14th c) called The Saving work of Christ which really conveys the Orthodox way of salvation in a most understandable & truly Orthodox fashion (since he is one of the great saints of the church). It contains 13 homilies in 135 pages on areas such as: redemption, Christmas (the incarnation), the cross etc. see MOUNT THABOR PUBLISHING - Books by St. Gregory Palamas (scroll down)

It's now on my list:thumbsup::cool:

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Finished both Mathewes-Green books~~they were easy reads and had some unplanned "casual" time. Interesting insight into a modern congregation.

2/3 the way through Mountain of Silence. I'm in Chapter 11 (Escape from Hell). Interesting section: Author was speaking how on March 25 the Annunciation & a civil holiday happened on the same day and the Annunciation was overshadowed by patriotic activity.

From the book:

No other date in the Greek Orthodox ecclesiastical calendar, I wrote in my notebook that morning, symbolized more disturbingly the merging of religion and nationalism, a deadly mix and development officially condemned by enlightened religious leaders such as Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. In a recent encyclical he had denounced nationalism as a dangerous heresy, contrary to the ecumenical spirit of Christianity.

This fits with my less than "patriotic" spirit~though a former US Marine and bona fide flag-waver I was taught amongst the anabaptists, not to hate my country of origin, but to realize that the Kingdom of God is something much bigger and better. This a rather encouraging parallel.

I will come back to this sometime..

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Finished up all the Green books and Mountain of Silence so I'm in pause with some relaxing sci-fi.

I'm going to lend Facing East to a mennonite lady friend ~ I think she'll appreciate it and maybe understand my interest in EO.

Catharsis, Fotisis, Theosis~~~~in many ways this is so foreign to what I've understood Christianity to involve, yet makes things make so much sense.

My next serious reading is through the New Testament, reading through a fresh set of eyes.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Finished up all the Green books and Mountain of Silence so I'm in pause with some relaxing sci-fi.

I'm going to lend Facing East to a mennonite lady friend ~ I think she'll appreciate it and maybe understand my interest in EO.

Catharsis, Fotisis, Theosis~~~~in many ways this is so foreign to what I've understood Christianity to involve, yet makes things make so much sense.

My next serious reading is through the New Testament, reading through a fresh set of eyes.

Reading through the NT with that fresh set of eyes will really be an eye-opener! :)

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just picked up an OSB (OT & NT) for under $20 (at a local discount/salvage store) in perfect shape...I love Ollie's :) They've had lots of copies of the OSB NT&Psalms (hard & soft cover) for about a year, but I always check wondering and there it was...

That is a great deal. Enjoy.

Look at the Psalms. I love the changes and the footnotes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Finished the above biography on Fr. Seraphim! It was amazing!

And I found this great quote by St. John of Kronstadt in a chapter heading:

"All the Saints are our older brothers in the one House of the Heavenly Father. Having departed from earth to heaven, they are always with us in God... They serve together with us, they sing, they speak, the instruct, they help us in various temptations and sorrows. Call upon them as living with you under a single roof; glorify them, thank them, converse with them as with living people; and you will begin to believe in the Church."

seraphim-rose-icon.jpg

Father Seraphim, pray to God for us.

Upvote 0