Visit site
✟117,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are a lot of liberalist myths floating around about the origin of Christmas and the date of Christmas. Fortunately, John Sanidopoulos has done his usual great work on this, compiling a set of resources on the origins of the feast. Consider and enjoy.

Christmas Origins Resource Page | MYSTAGOGY RESOURCE CENTER

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of liberalist myths floating around about the origin of Christmas and the date of Christmas. Fortunately, John Sanidopoulos has done his usual great work on this, compiling a set of resources on the origins of the feast. Consider and enjoy.

Christmas Origins Resource Page | MYSTAGOGY RESOURCE CENTER

Galatians 4:10-11
You observe days and months and seasons and years!
I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.

What Does the Bible Say About Celebrating Holidays?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing Biblical about celebrating Christmas
so even bringing up the topic is a secular question.
There can be no "conservative" position except
in not having the holiday.

I think there are some Magi, angels, and shepherds who would disagree with you.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing Biblical about celebrating Christmas
so even bringing up the topic is a secular question.
There can be no "conservative" position except
in not celebrating the holiday.

Galatians 4:10-11
You observe days and months and seasons and years!
I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.
WRong.

It was the Christian feast of the Nativity that got paganized under Emperor Julian the Apostate.

Pleas read the book THE APOSTASY THAT WASN'T

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WRong.
It was the Christian feast of the Nativity that got paganized under Emperor Julian the Apostate.
Pleas read the book THE APOSTASY THAT WASN'T

Thank you. I have retracted my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, but Christmas is.
I think there are some Magi, angels, and shepherds who would disagree with that. :)

Christmas has nothing to do with the solstice. the calendar shift puts the traditional day of Christmas almost three weeks after the solstice

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christmas has nothing to do with the solstice. the calendar shift puts the traditional day of Christmas almost three weeks after the solstice
I don't know what the traditional date is, other than when we celebrate it around the winter solstice.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It does have something to do with the solstice in that it's 9 months after Annunciation, whose date is said by some to have been chosen to relate to Good Friday, which is related to the spring equinox. Of course, as mentioned, this is obscured by the drift of the calendar. However, that drift is not terribly relevant when considering origins, is it?

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome visitors - you are posting in The Ancient Way, which is the EO subforum. Like all congregational subforums, members can receive staff action if mods notice anyone posting contrary to the doctrines.

But if you're truly interested, it might be worth looking into actual history instead of the pseudo-history that was fabricated by Hislop and others. Are you aware of the calendar shift, and that the early Church did not celebrate the Nativity on Dec. 25? It's also worth noting that the Church commemorates many events in the life of Christ and the establishment of the Church, and the Nativity was actually part of a season that focused more directly on Christ's baptism - most properly called "Theophany" because it was at His baptism that the Holy Trinity was distinctly revealed to mankind, in the form of the incarnate Son being baptized, the descent of the Holy Spirit like a dove, and the voice of the Father heard speaking from heaven.

Those on the old calendar celebrate the Nativity on Jan. 7. Theophany is 12 days after the Nativity.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what the traditional date is, other than when we celebrate it around the winter solstice.

prior to the calendar change, Christmas was celebrated in what we today know as January 7th, putting it 17 days after the solstice.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It does have something to do with the solstice in that it's 9 months after Annunciation, whose date is said by some to have been chosen to relate to Good Friday, which is related to the spring equinox. Of course, as mentioned, this is obscured by the drift of the calendar. However, that drift is not terribly relevant when considering origins, is it?

it is though because you are right about the connection between the annunciation and Pascha, and nine months from 25 March is 25 Dec. the solstice may have been used to preach to the pagans, but it wasn't the main reason for the date

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
a great resource
Maybe you can explain to me clearly this quote from the rules for St Justin Marty's forum.

Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of canonical Orthodox Churches are considered off topic. This includes schismatic or Old Believer teachings. You may debate Orthodox doctrines and talk about other doctrines but do not promote other doctrines.

It seems that there is a fine line between 'talk about other doctrines and promoting other doctrines"
I don't want to run into breaking any rules but wish to point out a problem in the interpretation of Luke 1:9, in the above resource, according to Maimonides, RAMBAN.
I thought that maybe I could do this in St. Justin's but maybe not?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you can explain to me clearly this quote from the rules for St Justin Marty's forum.

Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of canonical Orthodox Churches are considered off topic. This includes schismatic or Old Believer teachings. You may debate Orthodox doctrines and talk about other doctrines but do not promote other doctrines.

It seems that there is a fine line between 'talk about other doctrines and promoting other doctrines"
I don't want to run into breaking any rules but wish to point out a problem in the interpretation of Luke 1:9, in the above resource, according to Maimonides, RAMBAN.
I thought that maybe I could do this in St. Justin's but maybe not?
You're fine to debate what you want there.

Orthodoxy has a particular situation where leaving the Church means you aren't part of the canonical Church ... I think those rules imply something particular to schismatics.

It sounds like you simply want to debate. That's what St. Justin's is for. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0